For or against reforms? (Read 2184 times)

ren

Deeds Not Words

Rocky

Re: For or against reforms?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »
What are all of Hawaii's "proposed changes " ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kuleana

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
This is the reason why the riots in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd took place.  Although there are police departments that I have found that have rigorously cracked down, disciplined, fired bad cops, and had no problems sharing this information with the public; there are many other outfits who refuse such transparency and even others who refuse to admit that there are problems with police brutality and corruption.

Especially when her Hawaiian predecessor was busted for corruption, Ballard has the nerve to say there is nothing seriously wrong with HPD and is against any police reforms?   :wtf:

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »
in this day and time, that is the wrong thing to say
you should be willing to make necessary changes or reforms to address the publics' concern.  even if you eventually do nothing, you at least have to address it and be willing to make changes
she is poor chief and very poor speaker when addressing the public
I think less people respect her than Kealoha before he was exposed as a criminal

ren

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »
would this be a rally point for us? They did show up in force in favor of almost all anti-2a bills.
Deeds Not Words

aieahound

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
Her comments were also in the paper.

Most of her arguments against police reforms mirror our arguments against 2A reforms in the State.
(Without the constitutional or legal backing)

Oh, the irony.  :crazy:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:24:35 PM by aieahound »

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
The part of "reaction of what's going on the the mainland", I can see extreme reactions having a negative effect too.  It depends on context. 

The part about releasing of names of disciplined/terminated officers, I can see if that was prior to the dust settling.  Before appeals, reviews, etc. 

mrgaf

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
This is the reason why the riots in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd took place.  Although there are police departments that I have found that have rigorously cracked down, disciplined, fired bad cops, and had no problems sharing this information with the public; there are many other outfits who refuse such transparency and even others who refuse to admit that there are problems with police brutality and corruption.

Especially when her Hawaiian predecessor was busted for corruption, Ballard has the nerve to say there is nothing seriously wrong with HPD and is against any police reforms?   :wtf:

+1 on the above :thumbsup:.... they ARE public servants after all and it’s high time HPD starts acting like it!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
I think reforms should come in the form of more training and standards based metrics. In other words, echoing what Jocko said. Annual physical fitness requirements, firearm quals, scenario based training etc. That is not what people are talking about.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »
They should teach them how to read and follow the bill of rights. 

I think it's super funny how BLM would march to the capitol to protest police violence.  Yet the main police station is a 3 minute walk away and they don't stop there.  Instead the empty capitol.  The take pics of their signs at the GOP HQ on Kapiolani.  Even though Hawaii has been run by the DNC for decades.  Morons.

ren

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »
They should teach them how to read and follow the bill of rights. 

I think it's super funny how BLM would march to the capitol to protest police violence.  Yet the main police station is a 3 minute walk away and they don't stop there.  Instead the empty capitol.  The take pics of their signs at the GOP HQ on Kapiolani.  Even though Hawaii has been run by the DNC for decades.  Morons.

that showed the roots of BLM - always against the Republicans no matter what. A Republican is one dead pixel in a 4k UHD 100" TV.
Deeds Not Words

groveler

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
I think reforms should come in the form of more training and standards based metrics. In other words, echoing what Jocko said. Annual physical fitness requirements, firearm quals, scenario based training etc. That is not what people are talking about.
Good comment.  Pretty much what the military was like for me.
I'd add other thing, Knowledge testing and skills demonstration.
Our cops are union people, seniority doesn't always prove
skills needed are there.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
skills needed are there.

If only we had a Police Commission whose job it would be to monitor and guide police force policy in directions that improve law enforcement while also weeding out the Cops whose actions involve corruption and abusive force.

oh .... wait. 

Never mind. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 07:58:03 PM »
Annual physical fitness requirements,
I have to laugh, after those recent pics of several very "portly" Honolulu cops standing aroud.

firearm quals, scenario based training etc.
I have to laugh again.  The Big Island polices are a laughingstock for their tendency to shoot the place up, and never hit the target.   Of course, with no range or training regimen, what would you expect?

mrgaf

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
If only we had a Police Commission whose job it would be to monitor and guide police force policy in directions that improve law enforcement while also weeding out the Cops whose actions involve corruption and abusive force.

oh .... wait. 

Never mind.

Ahhh yes, pipe dreams..... :D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

mrgaf

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 08:55:17 PM »
skills needed are there.

Exactly... just look at Ballard..... yup kinda hard to but a perfect example....

robtmc

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »
Was it not Ballard who recently threatened the full weight of the state coming down on anyone that defends themselves with a firearm?

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
Was it not Ballard who recently threatened the full weight of the state coming down on anyone that defends themselves with a firearm?

Yes. And for that reason we should not miss any opportunity to exploit the flaws in her credibility or corruption that still plagues the department (as well as the swamp critters that enable it). Our lives might literally depend on our ability to seize the initiative while they are weak and fumbling.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”