Reloading 9mm (Read 2705 times)

dannyboy

Reloading 9mm
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »
I'll be moving to Hawaii soon and know that the cost of ammo is significantly higher than CONUS.

Is 9mm worth reloading in Hawaii?

I'm trying to determine if I should sell the 9mm brass I have for scrap or bring it with me.

Transportation costs are free.

oldfart

Re: Reloading 9mm
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:06:59 AM »
When I go to the range, I see most people tossing their 9mm brass.
So I guess that means they're not paying much for the ammo here.
I would say if you already reload, then bring what you got.
If you don't reload, then don't bother.

I do not buy factory ammo on a regular basis so I don't know what is the going price nowadays.

Maybe somebody else in this forum can post what are they paying for 9mm currently.

What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
For 9 mm, I hold out for $200/1000. I’ve seen advertised pricing creeping up, to around $220-230/1000 lately.

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
For 9 mm, I hold out for $200/1000. I’ve seen advertised pricing creeping up, to around $220-230/1000 lately.
Same here if I would purchase.
I reload 9mm which cuts that price at least in half which is pretty handy when two people shoot once each week.  :love:
Doesn't mean I don't have a couple hundred "store bought" lying around.   ;)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

jase90

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
I'll be moving to Hawaii soon and know that the cost of ammo is significantly higher than CONUS.

I'm trying to determine if I should sell the 9mm brass I have for scrap or bring it with me.

There are great online companies that surprisingly ship bulk bullets and empty cases free to Hawaii. Primers and powder can be bought here at some places surprisingly cheap, you just have to know where to look for them. Brass for the most part, Kokohead Range is plagued with it so acquiring brass should be easy if you decide not to purchase or bring your brass here.

As others have said the usual RIGHT NOW going price for a 1k case of factory brass range ammo is $200 -$220 before tax and I see it slowly climbing also.

I can reload 9mm for as low as $145 per 1k and that's even with purchasing empty cases.

Reusing brass, I've been able to get my prices below $115 per 1k.

If you buy components in bulk online you can get the cost per round lower.

So yes I would say 9mm here in Hawaii is worth it. I've have not seen the price per round here drop below $.18 like the mainland.

ren

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
If you have a progressive press it would be worth it. :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »

It depends on how much you shoot. If you shoot 1K a year, just buy a case when on sale. If you shoot much more, it's definitely worth it.

rklapp

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
Reality...
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Mr. Farknocker

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »
Depends on a lot of the factors mentioned above, including but not limited to:

1..How often you shoot;
2. Are the rounds for plinking, competition or hunting?;
3. Are you using lead or  jacketed rounds? If using lead, is it free? and
4. cost of brass (i.e., free range brass vs. competition).

What's often overlooked is the time and effort necessary to make ammo.  For most of us, if we threw our hourly rate into the equation, it probably would cost too much to make your own ammo than to buy it.

I make my own simply because I enjoy making rounds. I sometimes think I enjoy making rounds more than I enjoy shooting them.  I justify making rounds over buying them by lying to myself that its cheaper to make than for me to buy. I make my own hard cast bullets with free lead and (free) range brass so the only thing I'm paying for besides the initial investment of reloading gear and my time and effort is primer and powder.  The powder and primer alone puts the cost of 50 rounds of 9mm at approximately $3.16 or $63/1000 rds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:54:55 PM by Mr. Farknocker »

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 05:37:30 AM »
It sounds like you already reload since you have brass already?  You can pick up plenty of free brass at the range if you decide not to bring any with you. Every trip to the range I pick up 200+ once fired cases. Economically it is not worth reloading for 9mm if you are not shooting in competition. For me, I enjoy the time reloading and I enjoy testing rounds with different components. So for me it is a no-brainer to reload for 9mm. Or every cartridge for that matter.

P.S. - Be careful when picking up once fired brass that has been shot from a Glock. The Glock “bulge” is a real issue and I know someone who didn’t take heed when warned and blew up his Glock. I also know a certain reloader (Not me, of course  :oops:) that got a live round stuck in his barrel because I (I mean he) didn’t take the Glock “bulge” seriously at first.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!