1-8x (or 1-6x) Optics (Read 24762 times)

Drakiir84

Re: 1-8x (or 1-6x) Optics
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
Vortex is generally the best budget bang for your buck.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »
Vortex is generally the best budget bang for your buck.
You should get one! You know, birthday present!  ;D

All_rice

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
PSA just had a sale on the viper 1-8x with mount and free shipping for under $300
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

Jmoto808

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
Im a strong believer in buy once cry once when it comes to optics. Anywhere you look you will prob see the NF ATACR 1-8 being the highest rated lpvo. Schmidt and bender has the short dot series, but imo its vastly overpriced. I would also look at kahles 1-6 on the high end. Razor gen 2 is always a safe bet because of their warranty. Im not a huge fan of burris, but been reading some good things on the newer xtr stuff. Gluck with the scope hunt!

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
Im a strong believer in buy once cry once when it comes to optics. Anywhere you look you will prob see the NF ATACR 1-8 being the highest rated lpvo. Schmidt and bender has the short dot series, but imo its vastly overpriced. I would also look at kahles 1-6 on the high end. Razor gen 2 is always a safe bet because of their warranty. Im not a huge fan of burris, but been reading some good things on the newer xtr stuff. Gluck with the scope hunt!
The ATACR is a much different animal. They seem to get great reviews for sure, especially on some of the “sniper” sites. Seems definitely like a great scope, but it’s meant for more precision and longer ranges (>600 m) whereas the NX8 is more of a red dot replacement and lighter, which is what I’m looking for. That and the more compact NX8 is also what I had in mind. I came close to buying a NF 5-something for my Rem 700.

The Kahles is another that I looked at closely as well. Still considering.

I also looked at the S&B and yeah, they are super pricey. Don’t see the model that I had been looking at, so not sure if they are still making them.

I am very much for paying more for quality, but also very much purpose driven in selection.

Jmoto808

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
The ATACR is a much different animal. They seem to get great reviews for sure, especially on some of the “sniper” sites. Seems definitely like a great scope, but it’s meant for more precision and longer ranges (>600 m) whereas the NX8 is more of a red dot replacement and lighter, which is what I’m looking for. That and the more compact NX8 is also what I had in mind. I came close to buying a NF 5-something for my Rem 700.

The Kahles is another that I looked at closely as well. Still considering.

I also looked at the S&B and yeah, they are super pricey. Don’t see the model that I had been looking at, so not sure if they are still making them.

I am very much for paying more for quality, but also very much purpose driven in selection.

Another scope to look at, if u havent, is the minox zp8 1-8. With the ccr reticle. Becomes a red dot at low power. Shuld fit ur function perfectly. Def not cheap tho, as in anything great in this hobby lol.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Another scope to look at, if u havent, is the minox zp8 1-8. With the ccr reticle. Becomes a red dot at low power. Shuld fit ur function perfectly. Def not cheap tho, as in anything great in this hobby lol.
Wow! That sucker is pricey!

About the same price as the S&B Short Dot (the one I was thinking about in my previous post) in the $3000-3500 range just for the optics. Dayum! I’ve shot the S&B and it was nice! 

I’m accumulating s bunch of OT lately, but not sure that much.  :(

I’d love to give the Minox or S&B a try.

Jmoto808

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
Wow! That sucker is pricey!

About the same price as the S&B Short Dot (the one I was thinking about in my previous post) in the $3000-3500 range just for the optics. Dayum! I’ve shot the S&B and it was nice! 

I’m accumulating s bunch of OT lately, but not sure that much.  :(

I’d love to give the Minox or S&B a try.

haha i know, its a crazy world to think of spending 3k on optics alone. Hopefully as time goes on, we start to see more and more optics in the 1-2k range that can be competitive with 1st tier stuff. Let us know what you get!

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
Starting to look at low powered variable optic for an AR. Mostly to try in a more precision rifle. Would be my first venture into this area. All my ARs have been irons or red dot. I have experience in 3-9x and higher power optics on bolt guns, but not on ARs.

Would like to keep in the $400-600 range, but I am open to more. I’d love to get an USO 1-8, but think that’s not realistic right now. I’ve wanted one of those for a while.

Right now looking at Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms, and Burris. I’m also really interested in a Vortex Viper PST, but that’s a little expensive. I’d love to also have a Steiner or Vortex Razor, but I think those are a little outside the range right now.

I would like the 1x to be close to utility and forgiveness of eye relief of a red dot and decent clarity on the magnified end. Vortex Strike Eagle is probably the leader now, but I really am open.

I have a Burris 1-4 scope with a CQB reticle that I was looking to sell. Not exactly what you were looking for but definitely under your budget and the optic has treated me well.

Another option you could consider is maybe just a fixed 6x scope? That will reach out to 500 yards no problem and for your price range you can get an American made quality scope. Do you really need a 1X? There are some fixed 3x or 4x scopes which can still be used at closer ranges too.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/fx-3-6x42mm

ren

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
Starting to look at low powered variable optic for an AR. Mostly to try in a more precision rifle. Would be my first venture into this area. All my ARs have been irons or red dot. I have experience in 3-9x and higher power optics on bolt guns, but not on ARs.

Would like to keep in the $400-600 range, but I am open to more. I’d love to get an USO 1-8, but think that’s not realistic right now. I’ve wanted one of those for a while.

Right now looking at Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms, and Burris. I’m also really interested in a Vortex Viper PST, but that’s a little expensive. I’d love to also have a Steiner or Vortex Razor, but I think those are a little outside the range right now.

I would like the 1x to be close to utility and forgiveness of eye relief of a red dot and decent clarity on the magnified end. Vortex Strike Eagle is probably the leader now, but I really am open.

Since I posted in another scope thread - save your money now for something of known quality. The optic is just as important as the rifle. It will be worth the wait. There's also a false paradigm that a higher magnification scope will get you to shoot more accurately or at farther distances - that's not true. If you are a 4 MOA shooter a higher magnification scope won't make you into a 1 MOA all day long shooter.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »
Since I posted in another scope thread - save your money now for something of known quality. The optic is just as important as the rifle. It will be worth the wait. There's also a false paradigm that a higher magnification scope will get you to shoot more accurately or at farther distances - that's not true. If you are a 4 MOA shooter a higher magnification scope won't make you into a 1 MOA all day long shooter.
Thanks for the feedback. Money situation is now much different than when that post your quoted. Those were scopes that I was looking at back then based on excellent feedback for good quality,  it now looking at higher quality ones. I still think the Vortex Viper PST is a good line (I have one on my Rem 700) though.

The part about more precision is relative to a basic red dot. Not looking for benchrest type precision, at lleast not with this particular setup with the LPVO.

Drakiir84

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 07:21:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Money situation is now much different than when that post your quoted. Those were scopes that I was looking at back then based on excellent feedback for good quality,  it now looking at higher quality ones. I still think the Vortex Viper PST is a good line (I have one on my Rem 700) though.

The part about more precision is relative to a basic red dot. Not looking for benchrest type precision, at lleast not with this particular setup with the LPVO.

What's your budget??
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:43 AM »
What's your budget??
The NF NX8 and Kahles K16i are “in”.

Drakiir84

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »
The NF NX8 and Kahles K16i are “in”.

Dang son you got some money to spend lol..... might as well just buy my Elcan ;-D  you'll even save $500
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
Dang son you got some money to spend lol..... might as well just buy my Elcan ;-D  you'll even save $500
Gonna be going in Rapback soon too, so that might lead to more firearms as well.  ;D

Drakiir84

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
Gonna be going in Rapback soon too, so that might lead to more firearms as well.  ;D

Well apparently not a single person that has given HPD $43 for their rapback is actually in rapback....so.... there's that lol.
-Jeff Cooper

Dht808

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »
I have a Trijicon accupoint tr26 for sale (1-6x24) mildot green (mil/mil) has dual illumination, fiber optic and tritium.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200095

I love it but my vision has deteriorated a bit. I need more power.

It's been through 200 rounds of 308 win on an AR platform. About 50 on a bolt action. This scope has only been to bench and safe. $700obo shipped from Maui.

Dht808

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
Sorry I meant tr25

drck1000

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
I have a Trijicon accupoint tr26 for sale (1-6x24) mildot green (mil/mil) has dual illumination, fiber optic and tritium.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200095

I love it but my vision has deteriorated a bit. I need more power.

It's been through 200 rounds of 308 win on an AR platform. About 50 on a bolt action. This scope has only been to bench and safe. $700obo shipped from Maui.
Thanks, but I’ve settled on one. Just have to put in the order.

I’m tempered try an Accupoint tho, mostly for the daylight “power” reticle.

robtmc

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »
I would like the 1x to be close to utility and forgiveness of eye relief of a red dot and decent clarity on the magnified end.

Cannot help with scope choices, would just use quick release scope mounts if I were to buy an AR.

What i wonder about, is my difficulty first using cheaper scopes some time back and parallax.  How does that affect 1-? scopes when dialed back to 1X or so?

I doubt they mimic a holo sight as far as tolerating eye misalignment.