HNL on Lockdown (Read 4224 times)

changemyoil66

HNL on Lockdown
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
So let's do a recap, but keep in mind, many things may be in hindsight.

1) Vid I saw there was many people hitting the deck in the terminal area and staying on the ground.

For me, that enclosed area is a kill box (see NZ mosque shooting vid if you can find it).  If I hear no gun fire, I wouldn't stay on the ground, but get up and act like a full back and clear the way for my wife so we can get out of dodge after a brief assessment of no gun fire, regardless what people are yelling.

Granted not many people know what gunfire sounds like or it's relative proximity.

2) If I did hear gunfire and thought it was relatively close or see people being hit/the gunman, then that changes everything.  Hit the deck, crawl toward cover (diff from concealment).  Hope for a blind spot to attack.  Like behind a pillar waiting for that muzzle to clear the corner, or sneak up in blind spot.

3) IDK if the gates are locked, but  if they aren't then I guess you could go down the gate and if there's no plane docked, then jump 2 stories to the concrete.  But what if there is a plane there blocking your egress?  Odds are a shooter won't go down the gate just for 1 or 2 people.   They're going to continue on their rampage.  Same philosophy for locked door.  Shooter isn't going to spend to much time on a locked door trying to gain entry (See NZ vid again where he jiggled the door knob then moved on).  Don't forget to  look out the window to see if the  shooter is on the runway.

4) If I was in the check in area and had my luggage, I would not unzip my suitcase and take my gun out.  Unless I really had to, like if rounds are hitting near me.  Responding armed people might think I'm the bad guy.

Any other input

RSN172

Re: HNL on Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
Tell the shooter don't kill me, I am a Republican. 

zippz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
Assuming you heard the gunfire or screams...go in the opposite direction of the noise and exit the building, find a fire exit, or barricade myself.in a room.

If the active shooter is nearby, find cover and run away.

I'd only take on the shooter if I waa trapped or if I come across a gun from a downed bad guy or LE and the shooter is near me.

Has there ever been shootings inside the secured area of an airport.since TSA started?
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »

Has there ever been shootings inside the secured area of an airport.since TSA started?

If you consider baggage claim secure.  The Florida airport shooter.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
I just hope this isn't a preemble to a FF.  Some active shooter sites had a drill months prior.  "Looking for mass casualty actors".  #tinfoil

macsak

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
I just hope this isn't a preemble to a FF.  Some active shooter sites had a drill months prior.  "Looking for mass casualty actors".  #tinfoil

#noteverythingisaflaseflag

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
#noteverythingisaflaseflag

#heads

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
Quote from: zippz

Nov 2013, LAX Terminal 13, shooter shot his way past checkpoint and ran into secured area of LAX.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »
Nov 2013, LAX Terminal 13, shooter shot his way past checkpoint and ran into secured area of LAX.

That's an interesting story which can be compared to the HNL false alarm and the Dallas Federal building shooting.  Brings up a few questions in my mind.
1.  Should TSA agents be armed?  The security officers at the Federal building were armed and probably kept the Dallas shooter out.
2.  Should CCW holders be allowed to be armed on an airplane?
3.  How was the security response at the HNL incident?
4.  Would passengers at HNL evacuate the airport in a real shooting like those did at LAX?

2013 Los Angeles International Airport shooting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Los_Angeles_International_Airport_shooting
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
That's an interesting story which can be compared to the HNL false alarm and the Dallas Federal building shooting.  Brings up a few questions in my mind.
1.  Should TSA agents be armed? No. Airport police are right by the checkpoint.  The security officers at the Federal building were armed and probably kept the Dallas shooter out.
2.  Should CCW holders be allowed to be armed on an airplane? Not with firearms.  I would want every able bodied person to be armed with a 6 to 9 inch long fixed blade knife.
3.  How was the security response at the HNL incident? Don't know.
4.  Would passengers at HNL evacuate the airport in a real shooting like those did at LAX?Doubt it.  The sheeple in Hawaii would wonder what is happening and stand around looking puzzled until they or the person next to them got shot.

2013 Los Angeles International Airport shooting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Los_Angeles_International_Airport_shooting
My answers to zippz questions are in bold print.  I fly a minimum of twice a month.

ren

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »
this is akin to someone yelling fire in a packed movie theater. THAT person should be charged.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
So more info is coming out,

Someones laptop and neck pillow caught on fire at the TSA xray machine.  There is video of it.  Video sucks balls, looks like a camera from the 80's.  Now anyone going aloha snackbar knows our cameras suck.  But anyways once the fire started, TSA knows of it and should have squashed any active shooter panic right there.  So now I look at it like lack of training and preparedness. 

It's TSA's fault for not stepping in even if someone was yelling "shooter".

RSN172

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
my honest opinion of airport security. 

The unarmed TSA people are younger and more fit than the armed ones.  Most of the armed security are old guys who can't walk briskly and I doubt are  capable of physically restraining a reasonably fit individual 18 to 45 years of age.
I am waiting for my flight to Hilo as I type this.

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
If I was there I wouldn't lie down like a lot of those people.
I would scan 360 and find something that I could hunker down behind that could slow down a bullet, like a trash can, hard suitcase, elderly person or clueless millenial.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
my honest opinion of airport security. 

The unarmed TSA people are younger and more fit than the armed ones.  Most of the armed security are old guys who can't walk briskly and I doubt are  capable of physically restraining a reasonably fit individual 18 to 45 years of age.
I am waiting for my flight to Hilo as I type this.

Customs has all the fit people.  Coming back from Taiwan we had to deal with them.

groveler

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
All this airport stuff is typical.
Most people are always fighting the last
war.  They aren't thinking about the next one.
Nobody is going to hijack an airplane
today, you have more to worry about a suicidal
pilot or suicidal Moslem with a laptop.

However guns is where government concentrates
all their efforts and they just want  to be sure all your liquids
were purchased from airport vendors, that is interesting as
they pay a lot of money to the airport.

Government people
like to show you who is in control, who
to obey, and who is best to decide
your safety. Why do you think nuts cases go to schools,
night clubs, or churches?  They are gun free zones,
Airports certainly aren't.

You can't simply stop someone that is willing
to die to kill you when you have no means to
fight back.  In Hawaii, you are supposed to die
waiting for the government to show up.

The only thing you can do to fix this is
empower people to protect themselves to the
point where the nutcase isn't sure.
But that isn't the Aloha way.
Your life  is meaningless,
to a Hawaii Democrat party official.

Heavies

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
Where gun fire is a concern, do not lie on the ground nor flat along walls.  You have a better chance of getting hit by ricochets.  I would not attempt to hide behind those seats.  I'd look for some object that could be used for a weapon and use it if necessary.

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
Where gun fire is a concern, do not lie on the ground nor flat along walls.  You have a better chance of getting hit by ricochets.  I would not attempt to hide behind those seats.  I'd look for some object that could be used for a weapon and use it if necessary.
When I saw folks ducking behind those seats, I was like  ???

I guess they figured if can’t see them, then safe.

I hope things have improved, but when I had projects at HNL airport and at Hickam, it was surprisingly easy to get into the flight line. I don’t think I would’ve gotten far had I tried to venture to far away from where my projects were, but I often used to wonder “what if”.

Heavies

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »
When I saw folks ducking behind those seats, I was like  ???

I guess they figured if can’t see them, then safe.

I hope things have improved, but when I had projects at HNL airport and at Hickam, it was surprisingly easy to get into the flight line. I don’t think I would’ve gotten far had I tried to venture to far away from where my projects were, but I often used to wonder “what if”.

When I worked there they monitored the area very well.  If you go into certain areas, that are "no go" areas, they would be on you right quick, weapons at the ready....   HNL dunno.  wouldn't trust them to guard a taco stand

2ahavvaii

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 10:25:01 PM »
the real sad thing is these lib anti gunners couldnt distinguish a pole falling on the ground from a gun firing.  TSA agents taking off running, etc etc.  Yes depend on the government to protect you. lol