Whiskey Anyone? What's your favorites? (Read 38472 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Whiskey Anyone? What's your favorites?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »
If we're going to move away from whiskys, and open the discussion to spirits, I can appreciate a fine tequila, and a cheap one turns my stomach.  There's a story there, but you already know the gist of it.  I think vodka is boring, I enjoy certain gins, and I'd love to develop a deeper understanding of rum.

The only hards I thoroughly enjoy is the irish creme liquors (Bailey's) and coffee type liquors (Kahlua). I can sip those with ice or with some whole milk. A friend has a recipe for homemade kahlua and it is way better than the bottled stuff. Just haven't tried it yet, takes a while to make.

Someone gave me Jagermeister one time and I remember liking it but I was already a bit tipsy at the time so I doubt I was of good recollection to really appreciate it or not.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
If we're going to move away from whiskys, and open the discussion to spirits, I can appreciate a fine tequila, and a cheap one turns my stomach.  There's a story there, but you already know the gist of it.  I think vodka is boring, I enjoy certain gins, and I'd love to develop a deeper understanding of rum.
Hey now!  Start your own thread. . . (I keed, I keed  ;D )

Ever since college, I've hated tequila!  It tastes nasty, you can taste it the next day, smell it on your perspiration, etc.  Barf

However, one of my good friends who used to live in SD introduced me to some higher end tequilas.  Pretty similar pricing to "the good stuff" whiskeys.  Stuff  Pueblo Viejo Anejo and Chinaco Reposado, and not Jose or 1800.  I enjoyed those neat!  Still smells like tequila, but taste wasn't anything like Cuervo.  They aren't cheap though and we haven't found any available locally. 

One of my favorite drinks (if I'm doing liquor while at a bar) is Grey Goose and soda.  I can have lots of it and generally don't have the shitty feeling the next morning.  It is pretty boring taste wise though.

yurcarmeean

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »
I just prefer the spelling "whisky."  It saves a letter when I'm typing, and it looks more elegant.  Plus, on occasion, it can spark fun discussions!  Personally, though, I would rather have a few whiskys than whiskies or whiskeys.

That's a shame!  I thought you were being technical with your choice of spelling! but I guess spelling is also as preferential as taste when it comes to whiskey and /or whisky... :rofl:  as I mentioned above "it depends on who you ask"  :rofl:
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

yurcarmeean

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Hey now!  Start your own thread. . . (I keed, I keed  ;D )

Ever since college, I've hated tequila!  It tastes nasty, you can taste it the next day, smell it on your perspiration, etc.  Barf

However, one of my good friends who used to live in SD introduced me to some higher end tequilas.  Pretty similar pricing to "the good stuff" whiskeys.  Stuff  Pueblo Viejo Anejo and Chinaco Reposado, and not Jose or 1800.  I enjoyed those neat!  Still smells like tequila, but taste wasn't anything like Cuervo.  They aren't cheap though and we haven't found any available locally. 

One of my favorite drinks (if I'm doing liquor while at a bar) is Grey Goose and soda.  I can have lots of it and generally don't have the shitty feeling the next morning.  It is pretty boring taste wise though.

Tequila is yuck.... But do I really need to start a thread about cognac?! ?  I kid I kid....  :rofl: i won't hijack your thread... :stopjack: with respect to OP
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Tequila is yuck.... But do I really need to start a thread about cognac?! ?  I kid I kid....  :rofl: i won't hijack your thread... :stopjack: with respect to OP
Cognac!  Hmmm . . .  ???  ;D

I've tried a few different Hennys and Remy Martins, Courvoisier and even a glass of Louis XIII.  Can't say I remember anything particular about any of them though other than Hennessy was sweet and Louis was expensive.  Haha 

oldfart

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
I got a good horrible gin story....urp
What, Me Worry?

GZire

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »

Everywhere I go I look for some Prichard's.  I finally found some and of all places down in Ewa Beach.
http://prichardsdistillery.com/products/

I haven't opened the bottle yet, but I will and hopefully soon.

Tom_G

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »
I haven't opened the bottle yet, but I will and hopefully soon.

Don't you DARE!!!  Not without backup!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Rocky

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:49 AM »
For my Old Fashion's, it's Makers Mark.  :thumbsup:

For sippin whisky, it's 21 yr old Red Breast  :worship:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

s197

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 08:11:16 AM »
Wanted to join a Scotch club once that sells single cask. They hide the distiller but you can easily find it on the Internet. Sadly the shipping to Hawaii was ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JiRal

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
I'm still looking for Glengoolie blue. If anyone comes across a bottle, let me know  :thumbsup:

oldfart

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »
For some reason, all my chinese friends like scotch. I used to drink along with them.
But recently I seem to prefer good old American whiskey like jack Daniels or a good bourbon.
I drive a chevy and a ford too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:58:53 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »

A couple of good friends are into old fashions and their preference is with Makers Mark as well.  To me, since it's a mixed drink, can use whatevers.  I'll drink it, but it's pretty sweet for me. 

Had to reread your second sentence to make sure what you were referring to. . .  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
For some reason, all my chinese friends like scotch. I used to drink along with them.
But recently i seem to prefer good old American whiskey like jack Daniels or a good boubon.
I recall someone saying scotch with oolong tea was really popular in China.  I haven't tried, but I know many people here drink stuff like iichiko and tea. 

Rocky

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »

Had to reread your second sentence to make sure what you were referring to. . .  ;D

I thought it was pretty obvious.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

stangzilla

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
But recently I seem to prefer good old American whiskey like jack Daniels or a good bourbon.

I prefer a good bourbon as well.
goes good with my favorite cigar, Henry Clay.  another American great. (cigar isn't made in America, just the name Henry Clay)

some of my favorite bourbons are:
Wild Turkey - rare breed
Bookers
Bakers
Knob Creek single barrel or small batch
Four Roses single barrel or small batch
Bulleit
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams single barrel

can't go wrong with good old Wild Turkey!

808glocker

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Powers Irish Whisky :shaka:

s197

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2016, 02:05:29 PM »
Tried a Japanese whiskey called Iwai. I liked it but it is not for those who like a smokey/peetey scotch. It's much more on the caramel side.

oldfart

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
I prefer a good bourbon as well.
goes good with my favorite cigar, Henry Clay.  another American great. (cigar isn't made in America, just the name Henry Clay)

some of my favorite bourbons are:
Wild Turkey - rare breed
Bookers
Bakers
Knob Creek single barrel or small batch
Four Roses single barrel or small batch
Bulleit
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams single barrel

can't go wrong with good old Wild Turkey!
La Gloria Cubana torpedo
Arturo 858 maduro

Ever tried a Petri? Uglier than sin, but incredibly good.
What, Me Worry?