Domestic drone warfare now legal (Read 27437 times)

zippz

Re: Domestic drone warfare now legal
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
I think it's difficult for anyone to imagine being in a police officer's shoes unless you've done it.  Less lethal's don't always work.  I've been gassed, sprayed, tazed, choked out, pounded on, and other things.  I haven't been flashbanged, but I think it would be cool to feel what it's like.  None of those things would prevent me from killing someone.  I may be a little less effective, but I'm pretty confident I could reasonably do it.  This was a military guy that was very determined and effective, I think he would be able to do the same.  Another problem using a less lethal that is ineffective is he adapts and makes whatever future nonlethal/lethal measures less effective and more dangerous too.

Waiting it out is a possibility.  If anything he could only go 2-3 days with lack of rest.  However they would have to shut down a large part of the city for that time and still face the possibility of more civilians/officers getting shot no matter how well they cordon off the area or take cover.   His only disadvantage was not having a hostage.

There were a lot of unknowns and confusion at the time.  Were there bombs with him or elsewhere that he could detonate?  Were there other gunmen in the area that could cause more harm during negotiating?

I don't see this as a case of due process violations.  Everyone second that goes by and ever shot that he takes is the potential for someone to die within a 400 yard area.  I think he was ready to die for his cause, and take as many people out with him as he could.   I wouldn't be willing to take a 10% chance of another person dying to save his life.  To me this case is like saying CCW isn't needed since you can get pepper spray..
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

edster48

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »
This does raise some questions, but are we asking the right questions?

In this situation, I would have tossed a grenade at the guy myself, I posted as much elsewhere. IMO it was completely ethical. Why? Because the police weren't dealing with a criminal act, they were dealing with an act of war. This wasn't some guy that robbed a liquor store and barricaded himself so as to try and escape justice. This was a man that prepared and carried out a coordinated attack against an arm of the government, and was prepared to die fighting.
I don't think it can be classified as a "terrorist" incident due to the fact that only armed police were targeted, only one civilian was injured by stray rounds.

So the question should be "Is our police force designed to deal with acts of war?" The answer should be a resounding "No". They are tasked with enforcing the law, not dealing with armed conflict.

That being said, they HAVE been preparing for war. Armored vehicles, fully automatic weapons, explosives, tactics and training. It's not just our police departments either, it's the DOE, DOJ, IRS, EPA, BLM, FEMA, and many other bureaucratic agencies. Billions of rounds of ammo, and all the other tools of war I've mentioned.

Riddle me this: How is this related to the stated "mission" of these disparate bureaucracies? Answer: It's not.

The only way it makes sense is if they are preparing for a declaration of martial law, or armed insurrection.

From a perspective of "law enforcement" this could be considered a violation of ethics, but from a realistic perspective in the context of "war" it's not. Our government has obviously been thinking about this, and planning for it.

Why?
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »
You guys remember the phrase "Judge, Jury, Executioner"

???

That is not what the Constitution of the USA is about.

Not saying the shooter is innocent.

But you have a guy with an AR or SKS or whatever. Versus basically the government, with everything at its disposal. If not, then the SWAT team.

There is no less lethal option? No robot with stun gas, flash bang, whatever? Heck I don't know what they have. Even barricading the guy in there for 2 days without water, with a siege, can work.

Maybe in the future, Judge Dredd is all we need. No need for courts.

Here's another idea: Do we even know what the shooter said? Is he the shooter? (I mean, chances are yes he probably is, but how do you really know for sure except what they told you after he's dead?)

This guy got capital punishment. Death penalty. I thought usually you need the jury to be unanimous on that?

Why do we have some serial killer types getting 10, 15, 20 years and then coming back out to murder again? Meanwhile this dude got nuked in an hour.

Did the shooter offer his victims "due process" before executing cops at random, in a city which has had ZERO nationally reported events of suspected racially motivated shootings of suspects?

If he wasn't the shooter, he had ample opportunity to disarm, submit and comply with the cops' commands without dying.

I have no sympathy or empathy with the shooter, nor do I have any guilt about his death or the means in which it was achieved. 

As has been quoted on this forum numerous times, the police have no duty to protect the individual.  They have a duty to ensure the safety of the public at large.

They did their duty, and I applaud them for their heroism in the face of an unknown force obviously intent on killing each and every one of them.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

passivekinetic

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
I know what you guys are saying but I am not sure the danger of going down this path is recognized.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
I know what you guys are saying but I am not sure the danger of going down this path is recognized.

I don't think you have identified the "path" you refer to.

When someone is trying to kill you, and has stated that is their intent, what options do you want to start with? 

Saying "this is 2016 -- can't we do better than this" is all too familiar.  I see it all the time from anti-gun posts, asking about smart gun technology, how violence never solves anything, how we need to evolve past using violence, and so on.

When the other side chooses violence, they made that choice.  The options they limit you to are "kill or be killed."  If you have another list of options, I'd love to see it.
-- Melvin Udall

passivekinetic

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
I am not able to articulate eloquently what is going on right now. Maybe after thinking about it a bit more.

In the meantime, there is something seriously wrong here and it looks like I am not the only one thinking this.

Part of it has to do with the new level of "stand-off" that is now available to kill civilians (remote control robot, next up will be autonomous AI android with seek and destroy, even further separating the act of kill from the person who initiated the kill order).

This stand-off not only makes the kill act less direct (more video game-like in a way), but most importantly it puts nobody in harms way except the target, and thus makes it an even easier choice. Expedited execution.

Compare with an 18-year old in an air conditioned room with a joystick, manning a drone that shoots missiles half a world away at a village killing women and children because, just in case, there is a terrorist in those huts.

We already use words to distance ourselves (acceptable collateral damage assessment).
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

London808

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 01:29:03 PM »

This stand-off not only makes the kill act less direct (more video game-like in a way), but most importantly it puts nobody in harms way except the target, and thus makes it an even easier choice. Expedited execution.

Your looking at it as an execution and its not, They didnet get the guy in a room put a bomb an it and blow him up as punishment (which what an execution is). He put himself in a room, They said come out and stand trial, He said no im gona kill you as you come to get me, They dient want to die so they blew him up.

He had the option of facing trial and he made the choice to forgo it,

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Jl808

Domestic drone warfare now legal
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
I think the concern here is not whether what the cops did to stop the Dallas terrorist is good or not. The Dallas terrorist had crossed way past the line. He has killed numerous police officers and if it took a drone to stop him and save police lives, then so be it.

The question that bothers people now is "what is the acceptable use of robots / drones in the termination of US citizens who might be in a standoff situation?"

Passivekinetic nailed it.

Prior to this, when an order to kill is made, the order to kill is weighted against the cost of executing it. Because the cost is high (putting police lives at risk), this order isn't given arbitrarily, and is usually reserved until other options have been pursued.

In contrast, a kill order with the use drones / robots is now a very low risk order and may be the most expedient order in future standoff situations where it will save police lives.

How about a small flying robot with a small explosive charge that can be directed to fly into someone's ear and detonate?

Are we as a society ready to go there and deal with this?  The Pandora's Box has been opened.

This is like to the human cloning question. Are we ready for the ethical implications of this?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:59:26 PM by Jl808 »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
I think the concern here is not whether what the cops did to stop the Dallas terrorist is good or not.

The question now is "what is the acceptable use of drones in the termination of US citizens who might be in a standoff situation?"

Passivekinetic nailed it.

Prior to this, when an order to kill is made, the order to kill is weighted against the cost of executing it. Because the cost is high (putting police lives at risk), this order isn't given arbitrarily, and is usually reserved until other options have been pursued.

In contrast, a kill order with the use drones / robots is now a very low risk order and may be the most expedient order in future standoff situations where it will save police lives.

Are we as a society ready to go there?

I fail to see the distinction between a "drone", explode-a-bot, or a long range sniper.  We've used snipers to take out perps for a very long time.  The decision to use a sniper is to me even less risky than an explosive device that can cause all kinds of structural risks including gas and electrical systems.
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
My answer is very simple.  The method and execution(how it's done) doesn't matter.  It's the laws, ethics, rights, and oversight that matters the most.  Violate one of those then you have problems whether it's someone controlling a drone or hands on person doing it.

Edit:  Clarification on my terminology.  Execution = how the method is performed.  Not referring to the definition execution = killing someone.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:53:30 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

new guy

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
My answer is very simple.  The method and execution(how it's done) doesn't matter.  It's the laws, ethics, rights, and oversight that matters the most.  Violate one of those then you have problems whether it's someone controlling a drone or hands on person doing it.

Parallels can be seen in the order to execute in, "Eye in the Sky."

Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

K30l4

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Parallels can be seen in the order to execute in, "Eye in the Sky."
My thoughts exactly! As I just watched Eye on the Sky last night.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hvybarrels

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
The issue is treating a criminal scene like a war zone isn't a slippery slope, it's more like a bottomless cavern that once you step off the edge there's nowhere to go but down.

Cops shoot people. People shoot back. Cops use robot bombs. People make IEDs. Cops send out armed drones and ride around in armored vehicles, moving house to house kicking in doors like soldiers. People start following cops home and taking vengeance on their families.

Viola. War zone where there was once a thriving society with a hope of de-escalation.

I feel terrible for police because they are being put in a very dangerous position here by some very stupid selfish leaders who profit handsomely off the wars on drugs and terror, and the plethora of bad policies derived from both. The police must recognize where their true power comes from, and start refusing policies and orders that put their lives in danger.

http://theantimedia.org/police-start-getting-shot/
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2016, 11:54:57 PM »
However, Dallas Police Chief David Brown was adamant that his officers were left with no choice. He described the failed negotiations with shooter Micah Johnson:

“I was in radio contact with the SWAT team negotiating once we had him pinned down in the second floor of the El Centro College building.

And they began conveying to me that this person was in a…gunfight with them. And he was in a position such that they could not see him, he was secreted behind a brick corner. Any effort to get a sniper shot to end his trying to kill us would be to expose officers to grave danger.
    The other option was continuing negotiations, which had already lasted two hours and had not been productive.

He just basically lied to us, playing games, laughing at us, singing, asking how many did he get and that he wanted to kill some more and that there were bombs there so there was no progress on the negotiation. And I began to feel that it was only at a split second he would charge us and take out many more before we would kill him.”

Johnson instructed officers to “use their creativity” to stop him. When the critics began to speak out, he silenced them with one sentence: “I just don’t give any quarter to critics who ask these types of questions from the comforts and safety of their own homes…I’d do it again.”

http://www.ijreview.com/2016/07/646751-people-are-actually-complaining-about-police-using-robot-bomb-to-kill-dallas-shooter/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=ods&utm_term=ijamerica&utm_content=nation
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:32 AM »

Edit:  Clarification on my terminology.  Execution = how the method is performed.  Not referring to the definition execution = killing someone.

Agreed. The actor has to justify their decisions in the end either way. I think the fear though is that some might just take the easy way out and send inside a jihad drone instead of exhausting all other measures before making an assault.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:20 PM »
-- Melvin Udall

Aegis808

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
US foreign policies are overwhelmingly imported back home, this is just the beginning of a trend of how to kill US citizens on US soil with out any form of due process of the law.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
US foreign policies are overwhelmingly imported back home, this is just the beginning of a trend of how to kill US citizens on US soil with out any form of due process of the law.

Due process DOES NOT APPLY to an in-progress crime.  Stop acting like it does. 

For example, if you rob a bank, and you head for the state line, you are a fugitive.  The law does whatever it can within the law to capture you for trial.  Only then is "due process" afforded to you.  No matter how many times you talk to the cops on the phone, email them, or send smoke signals, you have no right to due process at that point in time.

First priority in law enforcement is to stop the crime/threat.  Once the suspect is detained, THEN due process can commence, starting with his Miranda Warning.
-- Melvin Udall

Aegis808

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
Due process DOES NOT APPLY to an in-progress crime.  Stop acting like it does. 

For example, if you rob a bank, and you head for the state line, you are a fugitive.  The law does whatever it can within the law to capture you for trial.  Only then is "due process" afforded to you.  No matter how many times you talk to the cops on the phone, email them, or send smoke signals, you have no right to due process at that point in time.

First priority in law enforcement is to stop the crime/threat.  Once the suspect is detained, THEN due process can commence, starting with his Miranda Warning.

due process applies at all time, not just after you have handcuffs on you.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:28 PM »
due process applies at all time, not just after you have handcuffs on you.

How can that be in a criminal case?  Due process starts with detainment and arrest.  until then, the Cops don't have you in custody.  No due process rules apply.  No phone call, no bail, no arraignment, etc.
-- Melvin Udall