Acting Sec of Defense Announces MAJOR Troop Reductions in Middle East Wars (Read 7885 times)

omnigun

Re: Acting Sec of Defense Announces MAJOR Troop Reductions in Middle East Wars
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 09:28:55 AM »
The military is the only thing that the US has a clear distinct advantage for now.  Those other attributes you mentioned, other nations have either reached parity or is poised to surpass, in the very near future.

Not really, USD is still the defacto currency of the world market.  We have huge economic power over sanctions, banking etc. 

I, for one, am not a fan of the US empire; but as an economist, the US needs to forgo its empire and return to being a republic, by not getting involved, in any foreign entanglements; clean-up its domestic problems; and focus solely, on developing its own domestic economy and territorial defense. These are the very minimum things it needs to do that I believe can result, in the US becoming a great nation again.

This is not how you become a powerful nation.   Isolationism has never worked that I know of.

What kind of safety are you talking about.  Is there a country planning to invade and commit slaughter, to the pro-democrat coastal states, on the continental US?

Safety from other nations, No one wants to go to war with us, or mess with our citizens. 

What opportunities?  The opportunity to lose more legally protected rights, my social security, or have my portion, to pay off the national debt increased?

We get minerals, labor, and other advantages and other benefits of being powerful and a world leader. We also get buyers of our goods and trade.  If we isolate we can only use what we have in our borders.  This lessens what we can do.  The world is a large place, lets take advantage of that.  Our technology leads the world and others pay us goods or money for our services and things.   The global economy is a good thing

PAX AMERICANA, if it ever existed, was a sham and the US empire is coming, to an end.

I hope you are wrong,  if china takes over and we become weak our outlook on the future of my old age and my future children will be bleak. 

Kuleana

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 10:02:38 AM »
Not really, USD is still the defacto currency of the world market.  We have huge economic power over sanctions, banking etc.
Although that is true, the days, of its dominance, is coming, to an end.  You must be well-aware that the US has printed at least 10 trillion dollars this year alone.  Anyone, who knows basic economics realizes the more you print, the more the value of that currency goes down.  The rest of the World knows the US dollar is nearing toilet paper status and are quietly moving away, so not to create a panic that crashes the global economy.  However, rest assured, the other major nations, of the planet, are getting ready, for the global economic reset everyone is talking about.

This is not how you become a powerful nation.   Isolationism has never worked that I know of.
It depends, what version of isolationism you are referring to.  In order, for China, to become the powerhouse that it is today; it had been an isolationist country, for many years, after the market reforms Deng Xiaopeng instituted.  It has been only, in the last decade or so that China began adopting a more international foreign policy.

Geopolitical isolationism and trade isolationism are not always inclusive to each other.

Safety from other nations, No one wants to go to war with us, or mess with our citizens.
You don't need the military machine that the US empire currently has, if your goal is to deter foreign invasion.  Having a nuclear deterrent will make any nation think twice before invading.  Unlike what US imperial propaganda tries to indoctrinate, the DPRK's main goal, in having a nuclear weapon, is to deter an invasion, from the US empire.  They already have the bomb and notice that they have not used it, like so many warmongers were saying they would.  South Korea know this too and you don't see them panicking because they know why they got it, in the first place.

We get minerals, labor, and other advantages and other benefits of being powerful and a world leader. We also get buyers of our goods and trade.  If we isolate we can only use what we have in our borders.  This lessens what we can do.  The world is a large place, lets take advantage of that.  Our technology leads the world and others pay us goods or money for our services and things.   The global economy is a good thing.
First, what you are talking about is imperial exploitation that no ones likes.  Second, you may be confusing geopolitical for economic isolationism.  Third, the global economy also leads to the importing, of unwanted immigrants, as well as their diseases.  Think about that.

I hope you are wrong,  if china takes over and we become weak our outlook on the future of my old age and my future children will be bleak.
America's future is not bleak, if it returns, to the policies that made it a strong republic.  Furthermore, there is no nation stupid enough, to take over the country and adopt the domestic problems that the US currently has.

omnigun

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »
What you're stating is still asking a judge to tell the future and make a ruling based on that prediction.  Basically guilty until proved innocent.  So ANY TYPE OF RED FLAG LAWS are unconstitutional.  No "i support it red flag laws, but...".

Not really right now they can bring you to the police station and hold you without a criminal charge for 24hrs I believe.  This would function similar.  They take you in, in front of a judge and they have to prove that you are a threat, show evidence and convince the judge to rule in their favor.  Both ways, if they can't prove anything, can't make any charges, you are free to go and lose nothing but a little of your time.  You are not guilty till proven innocent, not even close.  They have to prove without a reasonable doubt you are guilty before you lose any firearms.  You lose no freedoms and the justice system does its job. 

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
Not really right now they can bring you to the police station and hold you without a criminal charge for 24hrs I believe.  This would function similar.  They take you in, 1)in front of a judge and they have to prove that you are a threat,  show evidence and convince the judge to rule in their favor.  Both ways, 2) if they can't prove anything, can't make any charges, you are free to go and lose nothing but a little of your time.  You are not guilty till proven innocent, not even close.  They have to prove without a reasonable doubt you are guilty before you lose any firearms.  You lose no freedoms and the justice system does its job.
1) With the level of proof that you "require", good luck with that. 
2) Similar with the thread on bias, please look at the history of abuses or misapplication of red flag laws. . . it's more than "but a little of your time". . .

groveler

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
Not really right now they can bring you to the police station and hold you without a criminal charge for 24hrs I believe.  This would function similar.  They take you in, in front of a judge and they have to prove that you are a threat, show evidence and convince the judge to rule in their favor.  Both ways, if they can't prove anything, can't make any charges, you are free to go and lose nothing but a little of your time.  You are not guilty till proven innocent, not even close.  They have to prove without a reasonable doubt you are guilty before you lose any firearms.  You lose no freedoms and the justice system does its job.
I have never been convicted of anything, had any mental problems, or been served with a TRO.
You have to pretty stupid if you believe,
"You lose no freedoms and the justice system does its job".
I had a few problems in my youth and spent more than a day in jail.
in many different jails. 
"Send lawyers, guns, and money, the shit has hit the fan".
Is my attitude when it comes to cops and the Justice system.
I won't even talk to a cop unless it is legally mandatory.
Jails suck!
I am very careful in life, but I keep a criminal defense
lawyer on speed dial.  Never had to call one in the last
45 years, but you never know.
You are a fool if you trust the "system".

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 11:12:59 AM »

And this has to do with Troop reductions in the Middle East HOW, exactly?

:stopjack: :stopjack: :stopjack:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
Decisions at this level are often "tricky".  In that the public typically doesn't get a lot of the reasoning, justification, rationale, etc for obvious reasons.  So it's easier for the media to twist things to the public.  There was a time in my work where I was privy to "higher level" discussions, but not anymore.  But many times having awareness of those discussions made the "big news" stuff like this make more sense. 

My point?  Please keep an open mind when it comes to stuff like this. 

aletheuo137

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Decisions at this level are often "tricky".  In that the public typically doesn't get a lot of the reasoning, justification, rationale, etc for obvious reasons.  So it's easier for the media to twist things to the public.  There was a time in my work where I was privy to "higher level" discussions, but not anymore.  But many times having awareness of those discussions made the "big news" stuff like this make more sense. 

My point?  Please keep an open mind when it comes to stuff like this.
But not open that your brain falls out...

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
But not open that your brain falls out...

:rofl:

Still has to stay connected to the brain stem. . .

aletheuo137

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »
:rofl:

Still has to stay connected to the brain stem. . .
If not then your pronounced brain dead

changemyoil66

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 01:43:48 PM »

If someone is red flagged in HI, the person is never arrested/detained.  Their guns are just taken away and told when to come to court to prove their innocents.  At no time are you brought to the police station.

There are many red flag stories in other states that liberal judges used any excuse to take guns away. Do you think Hawaii's judges are not liberal?  See below for examples:

1) School crossing guard who is a Korean War vet and retired police was eating at a diner with his friend.  He was telling his friend that the schools armed resource officer leaves every morning at the same time to get a coffee.  He told his friend that that officer should not leave, but stand his post because if anyone wanted to shoot up the school, they would wait until he leaves to get his coffee.  A waitress overheard and called the cops. He was red flagged.

2) A man inside his home had his pistol holstered on his hip.  His neighbors who he does not speak to said they saw him thru his own window while he is inside his home and gave them a weird look.  They called the cops and he was red flagged.

3) A Marine vet said if Antifa attacks him, he will use overwhelming force to defend himself.  His guns were taken away.

4) A man asked his family to help him clean his home.  His kids saw a non-working explosive airplane bomb and his gun collection and called the cops on him.  His guns were taken away. 

omnigun

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 02:20:00 PM »
If someone is red flagged in HI, the person is never arrested/detained.  Their guns are just taken away and told when to come to court to prove their innocents.  At no time are you brought to the police station.

There are many red flag stories in other states that liberal judges used any excuse to take guns away. Do you think Hawaii's judges are not liberal?  See below for examples:

1) School crossing guard who is a Korean War vet and retired police was eating at a diner with his friend.  He was telling his friend that the schools armed resource officer leaves every morning at the same time to get a coffee.  He told his friend that that officer should not leave, but stand his post because if anyone wanted to shoot up the school, they would wait until he leaves to get his coffee.  A waitress overheard and called the cops. He was red flagged.

2) A man inside his home had his pistol holstered on his hip.  His neighbors who he does not speak to said they saw him thru his own window while he is inside his home and gave them a weird look.  They called the cops and he was red flagged.

3) A Marine vet said if Antifa attacks him, he will use overwhelming force to defend himself.  His guns were taken away.

4) A man asked his family to help him clean his home.  His kids saw a non-working explosive airplane bomb and his gun collection and called the cops on him.  His guns were taken away.

I think you are misunderstanding me?  I don't support any of those.  I gave my description of a red flag law i find acceptable. The current ones I do not find good.  I agree with you on that. 

aletheuo137

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding me?  I don't support any of those.  I gave my description of a red flag law i find acceptable. The current ones I do not find good.  I agree with you on that.
Can I red flag your red flag

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
Can I red flag your red flag

Maybe I need a red flag emoticon. 

Obviously the Stop Jack sign isn't getting OMIGod's attention!
-- Melvin Udall

aletheuo137

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
A little naive but what is stopjack?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
A little naive but what is stopjack?

:stopjack:

It's typed ": stopjack :" with the spaces removed.

-- Melvin Udall

aletheuo137

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
:stopjack:

It's typed ": stopjack :" with the spaces removed.
Meaning...

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Meaning...

Meaning: Stop (hi)jacking the thread.

Clue to get back on topic.

aletheuo137

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 07:19:29 PM »
Meaning: Stop (hi)jacking the thread.

Clue to get back on topic.
Got it, thanks

hvybarrels

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2020, 07:49:56 PM »
So how about those pro-war imperialist lefties saying the sky is going to fall down if we adopt "isolationist" policies? I guess they were never very good at minding their own business.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”