Shops that didn’t Price Gouge during this BS Pandemic! “List!” (Read 8185 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Shops that didn’t Price Gouge during this BS Pandemic! “List!”
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »
because it's all about you, jc  :shaka:

My opinion:

If you're not ashamed of the asking prices you post, then you shouldn't be defensive when someone complains your prices are too high.  :popcorn:

7-11 prices started out being extraordinarily high, and the hours of operation were much longer than customers usually needed them to be open.  It was all part of a plan to invest in a chain of convenience stores that also sold gas in order to lose money -- a way of writing off the expense from corporate taxes.

Turns out, people will pay 3 times more for a pack of D-Cell batteries when there's nothing else open.  7-11 made massive profits from their first year.  Many other chains followed their business model and have done well, too.

"Too much" is relative as well as a function of a buyer's ability & willingness to pay.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
My opinion:

If you're not ashamed of the asking prices you post, then you shouldn't be defensive when someone complains your prices are too high.  :popcorn:

7-11 prices started out being extraordinarily high, and the hours of operation were much longer than customers usually needed them to be open.  It was all part of a plan to invest in a chain of convenience stores that also sold gas in order to lose money -- a way of writing off the expense from corporate taxes.

Turns out, people will pay 3 times more for a pack of D-Cell batteries when there's nothing else open.  7-11 made massive profits from their first year.  Many other chains followed their business model and have done well, too.

"Too much" is relative as well as a function of a buyer's ability & willingness to pay.

the classifieds are a safe space...

and I only patronize 7-11s that are Asian owned
Deeds Not Words

omnigun

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
nope, our resident economist says if you increase supply, that increases demand...

#fakenews
Accessibility*

ren

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »
#fakenews
Accessibility*

from someone who never paid attention in econ
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 11:56:15 AM »

But private schools teach well...

omnigun

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »

Maybe it's a generation thing 🤔

But many young people value access and accessibility and ease very highly.   

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »
Maybe it's a generation thing 🤔

But many young people value access and accessibility and ease very highly.

And older people with infirmities and/or mobility problems don't "value access and accessibility?"

Do you think about what you post, or just want to argue? 

(Rhetorical questions -- no response needed)
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2021, 12:56:40 PM »
An illustration of how "Supply and Demand" works:

And here many times I'll look for the closeout deals when it's the last one and a shop wants to get rid of it.   ;D

But seriously, there can be a herd mentality where if others are buying, folks can be enticed to buy, often at a premium.  My thoughts is know what is the going rate and go from there.  I know how much I am willing to spend.  If a shop doesn't have it at the price I want, fine. I have paid a premium for a specific gun to be brought it, but it was still at a price I was good with. 

The part about not naming shops.  I'll be open about where I shop.  If folks want to shop elsewhere, up to them.  That said, if I came across a shop that outright ripped folks off or did some shady $hit, I'd have no problem putting them on blast. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »
And here many times I'll look for the closeout deals when it's the last one and a shop wants to get rid of it.   ;D

But seriously, there can be a herd mentality where if others are buying, folks can be enticed to buy, often at a premium.  My thoughts is know what is the going rate and go from there.  I know how much I am willing to spend.  If a shop doesn't have it at the price I want, fine. I have paid a premium for a specific gun to be brought it, but it was still at a price I was good with. 

The part about not naming shops.  I'll be open about where I shop.  If folks want to shop elsewhere, up to them.  That said, if I came across a shop that outright ripped folks off or did some shady $hit, I'd have no problem putting them on blast.

To add to that, the "enticement" can take the form of someone who's been mulling over making a purchase and just hasn't pulled the proverbial trigger.  When they see prices rising and/or inventory being depleted, they might get off that fence and make the purchase sooner rather than later. 

These people are often waiting for a sale or a great secondhand deal.  Regardless, they aren't following the crowd as much as trying to beat the crowd before the situation worsens even more.
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
To add to that, the "enticement" can take the form of someone who's been mulling over making a purchase and just hasn't pulled the proverbial trigger.  When they see prices rising and/or inventory being depleted, they might get off that fence and make the purchase sooner rather than later. 

These people are often waiting for a sale or a great secondhand deal.  Regardless, they aren't following the crowd as much as trying to beat the crowd before the situation worsens even more.
Yup.  I can understand and have experienced that.  Especially the "great deal" aspect, I was mulling over a new gun, but it was definitely a nice to have if the price was right.  I missed the boat on a set that was at the right price, but I had prioritized $$$ elsewhere.  Then the next batch that came in was at a higher price.  Then when the following batch came in it went back down, so I jumped on that else get caught again.

Recently, on reloading components, I've been enticed to buy components at a higher price when it came back in stock if it was the first shop to come back in stock.  Now that I have a somewhat ok supply of basic components, I am willing to wait. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
There are also the noobs who don't know they're getting ripped off, nor do they have friends who warned them.  I have warned a few people not to buy from X at Y price.

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
There are also the noobs who don't know they're getting ripped off, nor do they have friends who warned them.  I have warned a few people not to buy from X at Y price.
There's that, and I would say count me in on that.  Maybe not ripped off, but definitely overpaid on a bunch of crap.  Well, maybe ripped off learning what is crap stuff.  Luckily not many experiences with that, but I do have them.  :facepalm:  But that's how one learns and good to pass on those lessons learned.  That said, sometimes people have to learn some lessons the hard way (me included). 

Always want to share experiences.  But with like anything, many times people know what they know or don't know what they don't know.  It's common to have folks come back later with the "I didn't appreciate what you told me X months ago, but after going through it and shooting, now I know". 

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
There's that, and I would say count me in on that.  Maybe not ripped off, but definitely overpaid on a bunch of crap.  Well, maybe ripped off learning what is crap stuff.  Luckily not many experiences with that, but I do have them.  :facepalm:  But that's how one learns and good to pass on those lessons learned.  That said, sometimes people have to learn some lessons the hard way (me included). 

Always want to share experiences.  But with like anything, many times people know what they know or don't know what they don't know.  It's common to have folks come back later with the "I didn't appreciate what you told me X months ago, but after going through it and shooting, now I know".

That's why for a few weeks before my 1911 post, I was looking at the P320 X with Romeo1 pro.  Figure I already have 9, where as I would have to buy 45acp. Which I don't mind too much paying a higher market price, because it is what it is.  But I would refuse to buy 45 from someone who is obviously charging way more.

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
That's why for a few weeks before my 1911 post, I was looking at the P320 X with Romeo1 pro.  Figure I already have 9, where as I would have to buy 45acp. Which I don't mind too much paying a higher market price, because it is what it is.  But I would refuse to buy 45 from someone who is obviously charging way more.
Wait, so you not going buy 1911 45 ACP anymore? 

I personally don't have much 45.  Don't even think I have 1k.  I was actually about to start shooting 45 more, but that was maybe 2-3 months before the bat flu. . .  :grrr:

jc2721

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2021, 04:00:32 PM »

jc2721

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2021, 04:07:20 PM »
because it's all about you, jc  :shaka:
Yup, don't I know it! mememememe! >:D

macsak

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
Yup, don't I know it! mememememe! >:D

changemyoil66

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2021, 05:23:10 PM »
Wait, so you not going buy 1911 45 ACP anymore? 

I personally don't have much 45.  Don't even think I have 1k.  I was actually about to start shooting 45 more, but that was maybe 2-3 months before the bat flu. . .  :grrr:
I am, but for a few weeks prior to my 1911 post, i changed to p320

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ren

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2021, 05:31:19 PM »
I'm gonna have to update my will and not give my firearms and other stuff to the NRA...
Deeds Not Words

mr.Pink

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
Thats why i never mentioned they cant do what they do and mentioned ethics.

So u are right, they can charge what ever they want and i can choose to buy or not buy. But i will remember who is gouging and if they ever need a favor, the answer will be no.

Same goes with shops that dont help support out rights. I choose not to shop there and let noobs know to not shop there as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Meh I'm one of those guys that got laid off, going thru a divorce/custody dispute and I recently lost access to my PUA account lol so haven't been able to make a claim in a couple weeks. I'm in a trade but works slow af rn.
I've also been a member here for a long time, and also lost access to that account as well when my Gmail recently got hacked. I've had many transactions and met a lot of cool people here along the way. I've done favors for people with no intention of getting anything in return, I always help out when I can.
So yea I'm selling a little ammo for more than I paid for it, but free market right? Just saying maybe or maybe not I've helped you in the past and to say that you would remember those that are "gouging" and would not help them because of that? That's cool and you're choice, just like it is my choice to sell my little ammo stash, but knowing how I am, Id still probably help you out if you needed it. Cause I'm not petty.  I was banking on putting my kid thru college with my ammo stash if I had to one day lol. is my current situation along with my intention of putting my kid thru college one day if I needed to pay for it in brass and lead ok with you? Idk why you're post triggered me for some reason lol