more EVs! (Read 16299 times)

groveler

Re: more EVs!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 09:02:13 AM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/07/ca-agency-may-scrap-electric-bus-fleet-electric-buses-melt-california-sun-catch-fire-cost-much-fix/

CA Agency May Scrap Electric Bus Fleet After Electric Buses Melt in California Sun, Catch Fire, Cost Too Much to Fix
Until  you can get the energy density of a gallon of fuel and speed of refueling  in a battery,
electric isn't going to work in transportation on our streets.  Period.
 :geekdanc:

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »
Until  you can get the energy density of a gallon of fuel and speed of refueling  in a battery,
electric isn't going to work in transportation on our streets.  Period.
 :geekdanc:

How dare you sacrifice the environment.

groveler

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 11:40:53 AM »
How dare you sacrifice the environment.
IIRC according to the Democrat leaders in congress
we only have about 8 years before we all die anyway.
 :wave:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
Everyone should be FORCED into EVs ...

GM issues second recall of Chevy Bolt
EVs after vehicles catch fire

General Motors has issued a second recall of its 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs after at least two
of the electric vehicles that were repaired for a previous problem erupted into flames.

The automaker said Friday that officials with GM and LG Energy Solution, which supplies the vehicle’s
battery cells, have identified a second “rare manufacturing defect” in the EVs that increases the risk of
fire. The recall covers about 69,000 of the cars globally, including nearly 51,000 in the U.S.

To fix the problem, GM said it will replace defective battery modules in the vehicles, which can be costly
but will be free to owners. The automaker says the repair is different than the previous fix, which largely
relied on software and, in some cases, replacement modules.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/gm-issues-second-recall-of-chevy-bolt-evs-after-vehicles-catch-fire.html

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/gm-issues-second-recall-of-chevy-bolt-evs-after-vehicles-catch-fire.html

#gascarshavenoissues  :crazy:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 03:32:29 PM »
#gascarshavenoissues  :crazy:

Name the ones which catch on fire due to manufacturing defects.  Almost none considering the sheer number of models out there.  And most that do are high end sports cars that you will never be able to afford.

"Issue" == "Car Fire"   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Three [Tesla] Model Ss caught fire after crashing in 2013 alone. One was destroyed when it caught
fire in Norway in 2016, another burned later that year in France, and yet another combusted
just a few months ago in Austria. And when a Model S catches fire, it's serious business; you
can't use water on these fires, so Tesla has even created guidelines for first responders on
how to put out the blaze safely.
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced
our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with
the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we
would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed
technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.  You would have to pull to the side
of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you
could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and
refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice
as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car
Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until
you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again
because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

I wonder if the Tesla design team has this hanging on their wall as a checklist of things to avoid?   :geekdanc:

Before someone starts arguing:

#Satire
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 04:38:52 PM »
Name the ones which catch on fire due to manufacturing defects.  Almost none considering the sheer number of models out there.  And most that do are high end sports cars that you will never be able to afford.

"Issue" == "Car Fire"   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You are old enough to know the car with the poorly placed gas tank that would explode in rear end collisions...

Brystont1

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »
You are old enough to know the car with the poorly placed gas tank that would explode in rear end collisions...

Which was not a consequence of technology. Ford just didn’t want to incur the cost of re designing and changing the price point, if I’m not mistaken.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »

No longer an "issue".  Pinto was introduced in 1970s.  Pinto and Vega are no longer produced.  The fire "issue" with Explorers was debunked, since the journalist who did the video report on the problem rigged the vehicle to catch fire for "effect".

Try again.
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
Which was not a consequence of technology. Ford just didn’t want to incur the cost of re designing and changing the price point, if I’m not mistaken.

Yep.  None of the Pintos or Vegas caught fire UNLESS they were involved in a rear end collision. 

They did not catch fire under normal use.
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »
No longer an "issue".  Pinto was introduced in 1970s.  Pinto and Vega are no longer produced.  The fire "issue" with Explorers was debunked, since the journalist who did the video report on the problem rigged the vehicle to catch fire for "effect".

Try again.

You said to name one.   I did.   Are you the goal post mover now?

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2021, 08:38:43 AM »
Also can name car that was used in 1919.

Swooooossshhhhhh

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »

A few weeks ago my neighbor parked his brand new Bolt in front of my house.
He said he didn't have space at his house.
What, Me Worry?

aletheuo137

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »
A few weeks ago my neighbor parked his brand new Bolt in front of my house.
He said he didn't have space at his house.
Location location location!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

ren

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
I just wore out the clutch on my EV. Parts are about triple compared to last year. When the clutch wore it ruined my secondary reduction gear too.
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

aletheuo137

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »

SMOKING!!!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »

Please show me where you named a single car that caught fire due to manufacturer defect.

This was your reply.  I don't see any cars named.

The Pinto did not catch fire due to manufacturer defect.  They caught fire due to a rear end collision.  The tank design merely contributed to the problem, but it was not the cause.  Thousands of Pintos never had any problems, because they were never rear-ended.  So you can't point to the gas tank as the "cause."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:42:50 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

astroboy

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2021, 01:29:48 PM »
One more reason to not buy a Tesla.