Taser strategies (Read 4712 times)

QUIETShooter

Re: Taser strategies
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »
Somebody please, give me arguments supporting that Tasers can and will be effective deterrents.

Because I feel that it will only enrage the attacker(s).  Lots of crime nowadays are committed by people high on drugs.  Because cowards need something to make them brave.

Can Tasers shoot multiple times?  Because most attacks are not committed by a single aggressor.

Some say shoot the Taser, drop it, then run to safety.  I cannot run fast.  My knees are messed up.  My wife can probably outrun me but she can't run far. 

And where do we run to?  Right now the way I feel Tasers are better than nothing but not by much.

Again, I'm willing to hear testimonies that will show I am mistaken.  But the one shot feature will be hard to get me on board with Tasers.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 11:54:11 AM »
Somebody please, give me arguments supporting that Tasers can and will be effective deterrents.

Because I feel that it will only enrage the attacker(s).  Lots of crime nowadays are committed by people high on drugs.  Because cowards need something to make them brave.

Can Tasers shoot multiple times?  Because most attacks are not committed by a single aggressor.

Some say shoot the Taser, drop it, then run to safety.  I cannot run fast.  My knees are messed up.  My wife can probably outrun me but she can't run far. 

And where do we run to?  Right now the way I feel Tasers are better than nothing but not by much.

Again, I'm willing to hear testimonies that will show I am mistaken.  But the one shot feature will be hard to get me on board with Tasers.

There are many vids out there on tasers dropping people. Both in training and LE encounters.  There are also vids of them not doing anything (Myeni most recent).  Every tool can fail, even firearms, pepper spray, knife, etc...If you have not done so already, YT "taser training" and watch the vids on how someone drops to the ground when it's activated like how it's supposed to.

To me, it sounds like you're missing the point. A taser is protected under the 2a which SCOTUS ruled on and HI was violating.  So if you don't want to carry one, then that's fine.  But what you are asking is to show a need or the effectiveness for a taser.  This is what anti 2a law makers do to violate our rights.  If there is no need or it's not effective, then they have good reason to ban X, Y, Z.  How many times have I heard by law makers and people against guns that "HI is safe, there is no need to carry a gun in public".  There is a current lawsuit for butterfly knives, which are illegal here. I will never carry one if they are made legal, but it's the concept of why.

With regard to running, the instruction manual states it's recommended to do so. But if you are unable to flee in 30 seconds or less, then there is the option to give the tased person another zap, which would last for another 30 seconds.  So you can call the police or make other arrangements.  And repeat as necessary.  This is if you are using the Taser Pulse. IDK the options for other brands or models.  And if you wish to discontinue the Taser Pulse's 30 second zap, then turn the safety on and it will cease.  The one HPD uses does not have the 30 second feature.  Maybe this would be a good reason to apply for a CCW and notate that you cannot run due to physical limitations so having a less lethal Taser will not help you.

Certain tasers can shoot multiple times.  But the one mentioned above has a 1 shot. Then you would have to use it as a stun gun.  No self defense scenario is perfect. Which is why it's good to carry multiple self defense tools in case 1 fails or there are multiple attackers.  Since a handgun holding 10 rounds is not legal to carry, this tool is not an option for law abiding citizens.

I do think having a taser is better than nothing, but more like sticking it to the state for banning them is why I want one.  IMO, I would prefer a taser over pepper spray due to the range of the taser and that if done properly, it kicks in much faster than OC.  Watch OC training vids as well on YT.  You will see how even though blinded, someone can still fight. Compare this to a taser where they hit the ground and are unable to move.

Let me know if you wish me to clarify further any of the above.  Thank you.

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »

I do like the new taser law. I just don't think it's worth the effort to get a permit for something that can't stop a raging crackhead.

This is what they want. During testimony, good ole Marx almost let is slip  when asked about all the efforts. "Jump thru h......"

If I felt the same way about the effort, I would get 1 just to stick it to HI.

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »
A civilian model Taser does not have more range than a pepper gun. The Mace pepper gun I carry has at least a 20 ft range with about 7 one second shots.  A Taser has 15 ft at which the barbs will be 2 ft apart. You need both to hit for it to work, so the recommended distance is 7 to 10 ft where the barbs will be 1 ft apart.  What I would really prefer to carry is my JPX Jet Protector.  That has about a 35 ft range and fires a gel not easily deflected by wind. The one I have has 2 shots, but they now have a 4 shot model.  I leave it at home because it uses a 9MM casing powered by the primer only. Because of that it is considered a firearm in Hawaii even tho the ATF said it is not.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

Try getting shot with one.  I think the effectiveness will be seen more clearly if you experience it for yourself.   :thumbsup:

I feel you are wrong.  What you feel is irrelevant.  When someone is targeting you, like in a dark parking area, they will see you draw and point (present) some sort of weapon.  In the majority of DUG situations, the mere presentation of a firearm diffused the attack.  If your attacker thinks you are holding a pistol vs. a Taser, that in many cases will cause them to flee.  Enrage them?  They already are threatening you (why else feel the need to defend yourself?)

Some can, but cost more.  Mostly marketed to LE.

You'd be surprised what you can do physically when that adrenaline rush hits you.  Even if you can't run, you can buy time to do whatever you can -- take cover in your vehicle, duck inside the nearest doorway, get someone's attention to help or call 911, find a length or pipe or a tool in your trunk, etc.

Right now, most opinions of Tasers are based on videos, news reports, and hearsay.  Very little firsthand experience being provided to know what's the truth.  it's all academic for the most part.  Your arguments against could just as easily apply to pepper spray or other gases, yet people carry them everyday -- even LE.

I'm in the "road rage" camp when imagining what the most probable situation I might find myself in could be.  I don't do much that brings me into contact with attackers.  I don't go out drinking, don't go to night clubs, don't walk on the beach late at night, etc.  If I get confronted by someone over a road rage incident, and they follow me to "express" their anger on my person, I'd rather have a Taser in that instant than pepper spray, a knife or a cell phone.  If I can drop him and evade the altercation (however that presents itself), I'm in a better position than trying to reason with someone who's mad enough to follow me and try to kick the crap out of me over literally nothing.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 03:19:22 PM »
Thanks for your input, Flapp. :shaka:

Maybe I should take Taser classes.  Learn more about them.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
With messed up knees, 1 can argue u cant flee to "complete safety".

This bill would help so u dont get charged due to lack of good articulation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
The requirement to retreat is the stupidest law they could ever make.  The attacker is likely to be bigger, stronger, younger and faster than the one being attacked.  That is why senior citizens like myself are a prime target. I will be 72 in 3 months, and even though I am pretty fit for my age, still climbing trees for extra income, if I was the bad guy I would not try to mug someone in the teenage to 50 group, especially if they were bigger and looked stronger than me.  It is time for our lawmakers to give the people the right to defend themselves.  Criminals have more rights than law abiding people do and that is F'd up.

DocMercy

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 09:04:48 AM »
At $350/hr, Megan Kau will gladly defend you in a self-defense case, even if you only retreat 1". Maybe I should ask her that question at her live meeting.  :popcorn:

Everyone make sure to write your state representative and tell them you want the proposed law redrafted so a verbal warning to the perp is sufficient to allow you to stand your ground. He moves closer and you exercise your right to fire whatever you brought to the conflict that he started.

The state of Hawaii can make money by selling  officialT-shirts with the following legal warnings, that tell a perp that you are going to stand your ground and defend yourself (no retreating).

Not much new information presented in Megan Kau's livestream, except we do know she is 4' 11', and not that familiar with the new electric gun law. I suggest she watch this lengthy youtube video.

A taser can be deadly if a perp is soaked in alcohol first. It may set him on fire.

At the 28 minute mark, the blonde talks about the Eggshell Defense, which some of our elderly members can use.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 05:32:56 PM by DocMercy »