New Member? Introduce yourself here! (Read 644958 times)

groveler

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #1720 on: August 02, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
A little update guys. Finally got an offer for Fed Fire HI. I start in a couple months. Any information on how and what toys to bring to HI and which ones to leave on the mainland? Any information would help.
You got no gun "rights" here.
Act like you are a felon, because you probably are
even if you don't know it.
Get a Hawaii hunting license ASAP.
Aloha.
 :shaka:

lpck45

« Reply #1721 on: August 04, 2022, 09:29:19 AM »
No NFA items.

Can I bring my SBR lower and just throw a 16" upper on it?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #1722 on: August 04, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
Can I bring my SBR lower and just throw a 16" upper on it?

When you bring it to HPD to register, they will make sure the barrel length is legal.  As long as they don't see an SBR upper, they should be happy.  And, so far, uppers alone are not required to be registered.  Just be aware you should never attach that SBR upper unless you build an AR pistol lower to use it with -- meaning you applied for a pistol permit and used it to acquire the lower receiver, which technically makes  it a "pistol."

These are the games that we play.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #1723 on: August 04, 2022, 01:42:00 PM »
When you bring it to HPD to register, they will make sure the barrel length is legal.  As long as they don't see an SBR upper, they should be happy.  And, so far, uppers alone are not required to be registered.  Just be aware you should never attach that SBR upper unless you build an AR pistol lower to use it with -- meaning you applied for a pistol permit and used it to acquire the lower receiver, which technically makes  it a "pistol."

These are the games that we play.

Just for clarification, "These are the games that we play" means "these are the games the cops play and make us obey".

Since  guns in HI are supposed to be registered, if you bring in the complete rifle with a 16 in barrel, HPD will state on the registration paper that it's a rifle. This means you can never make it into anything other than a rifle since the serial # is logged.  HI doesn't allow SBR's, but modified/mutilated SBR's instead. Like having a fixed mag well or non-semi auto, etc...

Guys who bought just a lower and to make a modified SBR had to register the lower as a "pistol", which gets stated on the registration.  There is an entire thread about this you can look up.

If you're just registering in person the lower, HPD may tell you to bring the rifle back once built.  There is nothing in the law that states this. So they're making stuff up. I find it's easier just to say Ok and never return, than stand there and argue with them that that's not what the law says.

4mifamilia

« Reply #1724 on: August 29, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »
wassup guys
newbie shooter here.  born and raised here, bought a handgun many years ago for home defense, never really got into shooting until last year - then got the bug and bought 3 more handguns!  have looked at this forum several times before and a see lot of great discussions and topics going on.  hope to learn a lot here!

Akubone1

« Reply #1725 on: August 29, 2022, 03:58:46 PM »
wassup guys
newbie shooter here.  born and raised here, bought a handgun many years ago for home defense, never really got into shooting until last year - then got the bug and bought 3 more handguns!  have looked at this forum several times before and a see lot of great discussions and topics going on.  hope to learn a lot here!
Welcome…yup plenty of knowledgeable shooters on the forum.  Great place for advice.

prosailortim

« Reply #1726 on: September 19, 2022, 09:02:37 AM »
Hello,

Moving from California to Oahu next month, I have an extensive pistol (mostly 1911's) collection and from what I'm reading I'll need to register them with HPD. What exactly does that process entail? Can I do it online or in person? Do I need to physically show them each pistol? I'm also currently a CCW holder, has Hawaii been handing out CCW permits or is it still next to impossible to obtain one? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

changemyoil66

« Reply #1727 on: September 19, 2022, 09:19:13 AM »
Hello,

Moving from California to Oahu next month, I have an extensive pistol (mostly 1911's) collection and from what I'm reading I'll need to register them with HPD. What exactly does that process entail? Can I do it online or in person? Do I need to physically show them each pistol? I'm also currently a CCW holder, has Hawaii been handing out CCW permits or is it still next to impossible to obtain one? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

1) You will have to bring ALL your firearms to the police station to register them.  Online reg is only for FFL purchases on Oahu.

2) Oahu has not issued any CCW's and your CA one is not valid here. No reciprocity.  There is a hearing on 10/4 to see what the police's rules will be for CCW. Stuff like what they want for a shooting qualification or written curriculum.

READ HRS134 (Honolulu Revised Statuts).  Read it, then read it again, then again so you understand. Myself, I have to read each sentence a few times to understand it as it is in legalese.  We have crappy laws here.  Like when transporting a gun, you can only do so to and from the range/police station/gun store/ gun smith/ your place of business or residence.  So no stopping to grab a coffee on your way to the range or even picking up a friend.  Also 10rd pistol mags are totally illegal, there is no grandfather clause.

If you have any questions on the law, post in the "Legal" section and ask.  Many here are more than happy to help you, but remember, most are not lawyers.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #1728 on: September 19, 2022, 10:43:48 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to the "Party!"  The Democrat's Party, that is.  Not much of a celebration for the rest of us. 

Here's the HPD website.  Scroll down to "Out of State Registration Long Gun and Handgun":
https://www.honolulupd.org/police-services/firearms/

Recommend you arrive well before 3:00pm, especially with a lot of firearms.  For out of state weapons, they run an extra check to make sure they aren't reported stolen or sought in connection with other crimes, so the department requires sufficient time to get that response before continuing the registration process.

Online copies of the forms needed are linked in that paragraph.  Fill those out in advance to save time.

If you've not been here long enough to have a primary physician, just put "none" on the medical records authorization forms.

Have a credit/debit card on you to pay for the fingerprinting fee. That should only be required this first time registering.  Of course, were were lied to once before about the fee being "one time."  But, I digress...

If you have specific questions, call the firearms section.  (808) 723-3190

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #1729 on: September 19, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
Welcome to the "Party!"  The Democrat's Party, that is.  Not much of a celebration for the rest of us. 

Here's the HPD website.  Scroll down to "Out of State Registration Long Gun and Handgun":
https://www.honolulupd.org/police-services/firearms/

Recommend you arrive well before 3:00pm, especially with a lot of firearms.  For out of state weapons, they run an extra check to make sure they aren't reported stolen or sought in connection with other crimes, so the department requires sufficient time to get that response before continuing the registration process.

Online copies of the forms needed are linked in that paragraph.  Fill those out in advance to save time.
USE BLACK INK ONLY

If you've not been here long enough to have a primary physician, just put "none" on the medical records authorization forms.

Have a credit/debit card on you to pay for the fingerprinting fee. That should only be required this first time registering.  Of course, were were lied to once before about the fee being "one time."  But, I digress...

If you have specific questions, call the firearms section.  (808) 723-3190

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

wgjones

« Reply #1730 on: October 24, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
Just saying Hi. Retired and living the good life in Ewa Beach.   8)

stangzilla

« Reply #1731 on: October 24, 2022, 05:09:23 PM »

welcome   :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #1732 on: October 24, 2022, 08:08:56 PM »
wassup guys
==============
I have helped out a few folks here improve their marksmanship.
If you want help, just ask.
Gotta wait till the range reopens, though. :(
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #1733 on: October 24, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »
==========
Welcome!
I live just up the road and will be retiring soon too.
What is your interest?
I like pistol shooting and making bullets. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

FilipinoPatriot808

« Reply #1734 on: October 28, 2022, 09:30:30 PM »
Howzit,

I’m a husband father that get his wisdom from our lord Jesus Christ.  I’m from Waipahu and I love hawaii.  A fellow service member in the armed forces and I would love to see hawaii and our younger generation become patriots.  I like reading about war history and I see that our nation needs to be tougher for the sake of our country’s protection.  I love the 2a community and it’s the most passionate aspect in my interest in politics. I am also a country boy at heart and I love hunting.  My family owns a farm here in Hawaii and I feel like it’s the last piece of God’s country on earth.  Lastly, God loves you whoever is reading this and turn away from the ways if the world!

simpleshaka

« Reply #1735 on: November 08, 2022, 08:43:54 PM »
Hello all. New rifle owner just here for support, info and community!

skashif2022

« Reply #1736 on: January 21, 2023, 03:58:34 PM »
Hi there new to the forums and new ish to the island. Moved here from Texas and hoping to meet some likeminded people and get some good deals. I usually go to the range at least once a month or as time permits. Happy to take suggestions for your favorite indoor or outdoor shooting spots! Mahalo!

Akubone1

« Reply #1737 on: January 21, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi there new to the forums and new ish to the island. Moved here from Texas and hoping to meet some likeminded people and get some good deals. I usually go to the range at least once a month or as time permits. Happy to take suggestions for your favorite indoor or outdoor shooting spots! Mahalo!

Welcome…our only public shooting range is temporarily closed (dice Sept 2022.  On the bright side there’s some positive movement towards reopening soon.  Hopefully by March.

oldfart

« Reply #1738 on: January 21, 2023, 04:28:40 PM »
Welcome to Fil, simple and ska.
It kinda sucks that our public range is shut down now, yeah?

I pass the time trying to teach my dog how to reload 9mm.
When the range re-opens, I'll teach him how to shoot a glock.

What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #1739 on: January 21, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
Welcome to Fil, simple and ska.
It kinda sucks that our public range is shut down now, yeah?

I pass the time trying to teach my dog how to reload 9mm.
When the range re-opens, I'll teach him how to shoot a glock.

a dog's life in Waipahu is short...
Deeds Not Words