Question concerning Kohala Ranch area (Read 2582 times)

Falken Hawke

Question concerning Kohala Ranch area
« on: August 03, 2019, 12:04:48 AM »
On a random, just curious whim I was looking online at land for sale on Big Island.  While looking at an acre of lava field for $5K was interesting, I was wondering why a number of 10+ acres of cleared land in Kohala Ranch was still listed after a few weeks for less than $300K (<$30K/acre)?

I know it's not cheap but considering forested land is listed at around $25K/acre around Pahoa & Kurtistown, I'm guessing location is part of the equation.  I'm also wondering if being a gated community is part of it too.  Honestly, that kinda makes me think I wouldn't be welcome there either... :D

Anyway, I was just curious.  I'd have to wait another 4 years minimum before I could get serious about a $300K mortgage.

tillamook

Re: Question concerning Kohala Ranch area
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
The Cow Palace?  Yeah there is a monthly fee and a yearly fee to live there.  Someone has to pay the 24 hour guard at the gate to keep people from stealing the cows. You are also going to be limited in what you can build there in that they have very strict rules on what your house can look like.  Someone had to fill in their pool because they neighbors didnt like how it looked 

All so the cows can poop on your driveway and try ramming your car as you drive by.  It is like a bunch of rich people are pretending they are sort of ranchers

Sunsets are nice.  It is hot as hell though. 

(I was stuck in a vacation rental there when I moved here)

Falken Hawke

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
Heh, sounds exactly like the kind of place I'd avoid :)  They'd prolly get upset with me dropping a storage container for my equipment while I build everything by myself too.

Thanks for the info!

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
I am about  10 miles up the highway from Kurtistown and you can buy 3 acre lots here for as low as $17k.  There are 3 of them in a row across the road from me for $19k each.  People around here mind their own business and don't care if you are shooting on your own property.

Falken Hawke

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
I've been skimming a number of lots in that general area.  The biggest hurdle would be getting access into the lot far enough to set up a storage site for small equipment and maybe an ATV that wouldn't be too tempting for the unscrupulous.  I figure I can work during a visit once a month plus a dedicated month to make a vehicle path and a clearing for a septic system.

With that in mind, some lots that have been given up on by previous owners are tempting because some of the work is done such as incomplete cabin, septic system installed, and partial clearing.  One 2 acre lot is really tempting as it has all three of those done but it's 50K.  Unfortunately, it looks like there's also a couple of abandoned vehicles there too.

I have to say though, shooting on one's property without the neighbors getting upset could make up for starting from square one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

zippz

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
I have to say though, shooting on one's property without the neighbors getting upset could make up for starting from square one.

If the neighbors complain about the sound, buld berms 360 degrees around to direct the sound upwards.  Neighbors would appreciate it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

20fromnow

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:28:48 AM »
I live in Kihei on Maui and like the dry side. When I checked into Kohala ranch's CC&Rs I discovered you can't shoot on your own land there. It might disturb the neighbors.
So I could have 10+ acres, take every necessary precaution and still not be "allowed" to target shoot.
PLUS they have the whole HOA design review, everyone has to have the same white fence, etc.
It's off my list.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »
I just bought a box to .22 Colibri sub sonic to try.  It is so quiet I couldn't believe it.  Using it in my bolt action Savage.  If you use it in a semi-auto you will have to cycle manually.  I am going to try the CCI sub sonic next.

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
I just bought a box to .22 Colibri sub sonic to try.  It is so quiet I couldn't believe it.  Using it in my bolt action Savage.  If you use it in a semi-auto you will have to cycle manually.  I am going to try the CCI sub sonic next.

the Colibri, It's like a pellet gun.  :D

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:55:15 PM »
the Colibri, It's like a pellet gun.  :D

It is way more quiet than my Beeman spring air pellet gun.  I fired 3 shots outside my kitchen door and my wife was in the kitchen making breakfast and didn’t even hear it.