Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47533 times)

zippz

Hurricane Season 2018
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
Are you prepared?  Hurricane Hector is growing stronger and is tracking towards Hawaii, though it's still a week away.

Hurricane Hector maintains category 2 strength as it approaches Central Pacific

At 800 PM PDT (0300 UTC), the center of Hurricane Hector was located near latitude 14.1 North, longitude 126.9 West. Hector is moving toward the west near 13 mph (20 km/h) and this general motion is expected to continue through Sunday. Maximum sustained winds are near 110 mph (175 km/h) with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in intensity are expected tonight and Friday. Strengthening is expected after that, and Hector is forecast to strengthen into a major hurricane by Saturday. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 15 miles (30 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km). The estimated minimum central pressure is 973 mb (28.74 inches).
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Soleyobo

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:09:26 AM »
Hopefully it hits cooler waters and gets hit by wind shears.  We are tracking it at my workplace. 

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »
Looks like about another week until the storm is paced to reach Hawaii.  Looks like another potential showdown between a Pacific hurricane and the Big Island.  In any case, everyone be safe, especially you folks on the east side of the Big Island! 

Will be going out of down mid next week, so hopefully the storm will have taken a southerly route well before then. 

macsak

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
Looks like about another week until the storm is paced to reach Hawaii.  Looks like another potential showdown between a Pacific hurricane and the Big Island.  In any case, everyone be safe, especially you folks on the east side of the Big Island! 

Will be going out of down mid next week, so hopefully the storm will have taken a southerly route well before then.

somehow, this is going to be trump's fault...

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »
somehow, this is going to be trump's fault...
Global warming. . .

macsak

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »

macsak

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
And if it misses us, it's all thanks to Ige who signed the Paris "Acord", according to his commercial.

Tom_G

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »
Trump has slashed funding to the sciences and to NASA, so they had no choice but to turn off their weather control systems. This hurricane is only the first indicator of trouble!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

macsak

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
Trump has slashed funding to the sciences and to NASA, so they had no choice but to turn off their weather control systems. This hurricane is only the first indicator of trouble!

maybe it's Gojira!

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
Yup, just had all the coco's trimmed and R&R'd fuel in genny and fired her up (month late  ::) )
Stocked and treated another 15 gallons gas, filled up trucks, already went to Costco and now have 150 rolls of T.P.  :rofl: :rofl:
Will rotate water in 55's  this weekend.
Don't forget to update your bug out Flash drive with copies of important doc's, insurance policy's, firearm records, photographs, I.D.'s and recent photos immediate family for lost persons identification.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

hvybarrels

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 01:14:19 PM »
Damn. I need drinking water.

Ideally it will pass close enough to the south to make outside Castle's break for a few glorious hours but far enough away that we don't get the wind.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

zippz

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
Damn. I need drinking water.

Can drink water out of the water heater.  Or disinfect water with bleach.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rocky

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
Can drink water out of the water heater.  Or disinfect water with bleach.

You got at least  5 days to prep !   :sleeping: :sleeping:

If you don't, you deserve to drink out of the toilet !  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »

Don't forget to update your bug out , firearm records, .  :thumbsup:

If HPD's system crashed and all is lost, that's their problem.  I remember calling Vegas Metro and asked since HI has registration, do I have to bring my reg with me to Vegas.  The officer laughed and said they don't have so when I'm in Vegas, Vegas laws apply.

RSN172

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 05:31:04 AM »
I hope it doesn’t hit us, but if it does, I would like my whole house to be destroyed. My hurricane insurance policy show the replacement cost more than twice what I paid for the whole property with the existing house.  That way I can get a new house built and designed the way I want, which will then include a fortified safe room, with the entry from the my bedroom.

I have two generators and 15 gal of gas on hand. I am going to pickup another 10 gal.  20 gal of diesel, which should be enough for the two tractors.  Lots of canned and frozen food.  5 full propane tanks and 10k gal of water in the catchment tank.  I am as prepared as I need be.  Also the most important thing, I have become good friends with quite a few people in the 4 years I have been here.  Half of them in construction and two of them have heavy equipment like excavators, cranes, skidsteers, dump trucks etc.

Soleyobo

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »

Projected to miss us but things could change.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:31:39 PM by Soleyobo »

zippz

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
Hurricane is much stronger than expected and has sustained winds 155mph.  Expected to weaken but could still be a major hurricane when it's near the big island.  Projected to pass south, but big island may feel tropical storm winds and possibly effect the other islands.

Things can drastically change if moves north even a little bit.

Interesting details about Hector and it's resistance to weakening.  https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hector-Near-Category-5-Strength-Still-Expected-Pass-South-Hawaii

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:24:00 PM by zippz »

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
I hope it doesn’t hit us, but if it does, I would like my whole house to be destroyed. My hurricane insurance policy show the replacement cost more than twice what I paid for the whole property with the existing house.  That way I can get a new house built and designed the way I want, which will then include a fortified safe room, with the entry from the my bedroom.

I have two generators and 15 gal of gas on hand. I am going to pickup another 10 gal.  20 gal of diesel, which should be enough for the two tractors.  Lots of canned and frozen food.  5 full propane tanks and 10k gal of water in the catchment tank.  I am as prepared as I need be.  Also the most important thing, I have become good friends with quite a few people in the 4 years I have been here.  Half of them in construction and two of them have heavy equipment like excavators, cranes, skidsteers, dump trucks etc.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think they will pay for your safe room.  Just to replace as close as possible exact home to current code before the loss.  Building to code now cost way more compared to code 40 years ago.

Unless you had a safe room, but the entire home blew away so they can't prove you didn't have one....