Best sandwich (Read 7734 times)

drck1000

Re: Best sandwich
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »
Sprout and earl both in kaimuki business district. Fendu boulangerie in manoa marketplace. Tex 808 in costco hk lot. La tour. Pig and the lady in downtown.  :sleeping:
The pho French dip at Pig and the Lady is awesome!  The French dip at Henry Loui’s is one of my faves as well.

hvybarrels

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 12:51:21 AM »
I second (third?) Pig and the Lady banh mi sandwiches are winners. Hard to decide if between pork belly and brisket but I lean towards the pork just for presentation.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Inspector

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 05:26:34 AM »
The pho French dip at Pig and the Lady is awesome!  The French dip at Henry Loui’s is one of my faves as well.
I forgot about their French dip sandwich. It is great! I also like the French dip sandwich at the Kona Brewery. And I get to drink beer!!! Win-win!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 08:32:43 PM »
Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich! I’m a believer. Can’t be having that very often, but it was pretty damn good!

oldfart

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 01:09:14 AM »
Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich! I’m a believer. Can’t be having that very often, but it was pretty damn good!
I dispatched my son to fetch a couple of these viral sandwiches. People have been lining up to get these so I had to see what the fuss was all about.
I tried the spicy and the original versions.
I thought they were good, but not worth waiting in a long line for.
The quality was good but the taste was nothing spectacular.
It is basically a piece of fried chicken breast with mayo and 2 slices of dill pickle on a bun.
The spicy version uses their spicy fried chicken breast with a spicy mayo and the same 2 slices of dill pickle.
I suspect the big craze is just a clever marketing campaign.

I prefer a piece of their originàl thigh with the Cajun rice.
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 07:02:52 AM »

I hope you brought a knife when you went   :D

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
I dispatched my son to fetch a couple of these viral sandwiches. People have been lining up to get these so I had to see what the fuss was all about.
I tried the spicy and the original versions.
I thought they were good, but not worth waiting in a long line for.
The quality was good but the taste was nothing spectacular.
It is basically a piece of fried chicken breast with mayo and 2 slices of dill pickle on a bun.
The spicy version uses their spicy fried chicken breast with a spicy mayo and the same 2 slices of dill pickle.
I suspect the big craze is just a clever marketing campaign.

I prefer a piece of their originàl thigh with the Cajun rice.
I wait until the long lines die down to go. I’ve heard from some that it was too greasy. When I went, I saw them under a heat lamp, so maybe they are a little dry. I really liked that it was really crispy and wasn’t greasy to me.

I hope you brought a knife when you went   :D
Always. And the line was like 1-2 people where and when I went. If there’s a long line, I’ll only usually go if I’m entertaining guests from out of town. Otherwise, hellz no. Haha

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
I wait until the long lines die down to go. I’ve heard from some that it was too greasy. When I went, I saw them under a heat lamp, so maybe they are a little dry. I really liked that it was really crispy and wasn’t greasy to me.
Always. And the line was like 1-2 people where and when I went. If there’s a long line, I’ll only usually go if I’m entertaining guests from out of town. Otherwise, hellz no. Haha
==================
When my kid went, he said he only waited about 10 minutes. This was in Waipahu, which is not as busy as in town.
He observed one designated worker whose sole job was to make the chicken sandwiches.
He listened to what other people were ordering. They all ordered chicken sandwiches.

IMHO, given a choice between a Popeyes chicken sandwich and a BK Whopper, I'll take a whopper any day.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
I haven't tried the Popeye's sandwich, but I've always liked Jack's spicy crispy chicken sandwich.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
I haven't tried the Popeye's sandwich, but I've always liked Jack's spicy crispy chicken sandwich.
That one and McD’s spicy chicken sandwich with bacon is pretty good.

RSN172

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
Punaluu Bake Shop seafood sandwich.  Try it the next time you are in Naalehu. Everyone I told to try it loved it.

Inspector

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
Punaluu Bake Shop seafood sandwich.  Try it the next time you are in Naalehu. Everyone I told to try it loved it.
I have had it, you are right, it is ono. So are the lilikoi malasadas. Mmmmmmmmmm
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
Went to this bar a few years ago in Vegas next to Hawaiian Village and they were voted the best grilled cheese.  Total BS.  Wasn't anything special.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:45 AM »
Went to this bar a few years ago in Vegas next to Hawaiian Village and they were voted the best grilled cheese.  Total BS.  Wasn't anything special.

Yeah.  I make the best grilled cheese sandwich ever, so I would never believe anyone else who makes that claim.   :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Bota-CS1

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »
If the 9th Isle is included I’d say Earl of Sandiwch. 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »
If the 9th Isle is included I’d say Earl of Sandiwch.

they are also in Kaimuki and Kakaako.  but I've never been there before.  I've heard they are very good.  i'll have to check that out.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
they are also in Kaimuki and Kakaako.  but I've never been there before.  I've heard they are very good.  i'll have to check that out.

Those are different than the one in Ceasar’s that I’m thinking of.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 05:24:52 AM »
Those are different than the one in Ceasar’s that I’m thinking of.

Ok. I guess I got to go Vegas  :D

Rocky

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:49 AM »
We'll often stop at  Bob's and get a bacon burger and fried fish sandwich.
I really like the fish sammich, but the "surf and turf" combo just satisfies.  :D

What we're really looking for is an honest to Josiah Kosher Deli ! :worship:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:44 AM »
We'll often stop at  Bob's and get a bacon burger and fried fish sandwich.
I really like the fish sammich, but the "surf and turf" combo just satisfies.  :D

What we're really looking for is an honest to Josiah Kosher Deli ! :worship:
I really liked the fried catfish sandwich at Kakaako Kitchen.

Not really a sandwich, but the prime rib french dip at Henry Louis' is awesome!