Florida school shooting.... here we go again! (Read 17158 times)

K30l4

Re: Florida school shooting.... here we go again!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
Watch "BREAKING: School Shooting Underway In South Florida" on YouTube

Student says "we thought is a drill." He went on to say "we had a drill before and they were shooting blanks."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
CNN banner says “... AR-15 style firearm”. To me, that’s a slight departure from “high powered assault weapon”. But prob only something a pro 2a person would pick up on.

G35soldier

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.  Someone made a comment in reference to mental health being the problem but Republicans want to drastically cut or even do away with Medicaid and it's expansion. Democrats just want to take guns away from everyone . Political party aside many many years ago I came to realization that politicians can give a shit about voting for what the people who helped get them elected want, yet we continuosly re elect them.

bass monkey

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
No mention of a false flag operation yet?

I saw another post where students were un sure if it was real or not because they had drills before where they were firing blanks

ren

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.  Someone made a comment in reference to mental health being the problem but Republicans want to drastically cut or even do away with Medicaid and it's expansion. Democrats just want to take guns away from everyone . Political party aside many many years ago I came to realization that politicians can give a shit about voting for what the people who helped get them elected want, yet we continuosly re elect them.

Mental health equals more drugs. Certainly we don't need that.
We need to address this as a society. We need more character building. Grow up. Get rid of "safe zones". We've evolved into a culture where we are so confused about gender we can't define it but yet we have to "watch our pronouns" when addressing binary, gender non compliance people. It's a whole lot of softening we've come to embrace instead of maturing. We can't tell our kids they can't put on mommy's clothes - we let them do whatevahs. We rely on government for parenting, security and everything under the sun.
We need to grow the f*ck up and stop blaming others for our feelings and shit.
Deeds Not Words

kala201

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
I haven’t posted in a long time, but feel the need to speak out on this latest incident.  A lot of people say there’s a need to expand mental health services, but that’s only a small part.  Our American society as a whole needs to wake up and get their heads out of their a$$es.  In every instance of these school shootings it has always been young adults who were “outsiders” and/or didn’t know how to cope with rejection.   Our current society and especially the education system feels that making everyone a “winner” and that having high self esteem is the key to fixing societies woes.  That’s absolutely wrong and a load of crock.  In fact we should be teaching kids there is ALWAYS going to be winners and losers.  And then teaching them how to cope with losing and how to be gracious winners.  Protecting kids and awarding every little minor achievement isn’t right because the coping mechanism is never properly taught and nurtured.  I’m not saying that this would fix everything but it would be a big help.  I went from being a licensed public school teacher in the state to being a construction worker because I saw how the education system was starting to flounder.  My wife is still in the system and she’s always complaining about it.  Kids can no longer play tag or it because being “it” is bad.  Or no more dodge ball because it teaches kids to prey on the weak.  Or everyone receives a medal or award, which is my favorite because some of the things they come up with are outright ridiculous. I see the young up and coming people entering the workforce and becoming trade apprentices and it scares me to see how emotionally weak and lacking a lot of them are.  Hard work and adversity is lost on them.  They want instant gratification and instant validation that they are great just because they show up for work on time.

Emotional resilience, learning how to lose and how to constructively cope with loss and rejection would go a lot further in making our nation safer than any gun control would.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

macsak

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »
I haven’t posted in a long time, but feel the need to speak out on this latest incident.  A lot of people say there’s a need to expand mental health services, but that’s only a small part.  Our American society as a whole needs to wake up and get their heads out of their a$$es.  In every instance of these school shootings it has always been young adults who were “outsiders” and/or didn’t know how to cope with rejection.   Our current society and especially the education system feels that making everyone a “winner” and that having high self esteem is the key to fixing societies woes.  That’s absolutely wrong and a load of crock.  In fact we should be teaching kids there is ALWAYS going to be winners and losers.  And then teaching them how to cope with losing and how to be gracious winners.  Protecting kids and awarding every little minor achievement isn’t right because the coping mechanism is never properly taught and nurtured.  I’m not saying that this would fix everything but it would be a big help.  I went from being a licensed public school teacher in the state to being a construction worker because I saw how the education system was starting to flounder.  My wife is still in the system and she’s always complaining about it.  Kids can no longer play tag or it because being “it” is bad.  Or no more dodge ball because it teaches kids to prey on the weak.  Or everyone receives a medal or award, which is my favorite because some of the things they come up with are outright ridiculous. I see the young up and coming people entering the workforce and becoming trade apprentices and it scares me to see how emotionally weak and lacking a lot of them are.  Hard work and adversity is lost on them.  They want instant gratification and instant validation that they are great just because they show up for work on time.

Emotional resilience, learning how to lose and how to constructively cope with loss and rejection would go a lot further in making our nation safer than any gun control would.

you da man, kala
and spot on

hope you and the wife are well
 :shaka:

zippz

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »

I agree, but I'd like to add people need to support each other and help the community.  People seem more distant nowadays and sometimes competitive.  Treat each other with respect even if you don't like them.  I believe for the Uesugi case one of the coworkers asked him how he was doing one day, and that saved her life later.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

luckydog1

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:12 AM »
Here we go again.  Was the FBI tipped off about this weirdo  and did not act?  Those of you that are computer enabled please vette this article:  https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasacks/the-fbi-was-warned-about-a-school-shooting-threat-from?utm_term=.ioNkzqg6Q#.wb5j6JzBN

kala201

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 06:34:38 AM »
I agree, but I'd like to add people need to support each other and help the community.  People seem more distant nowadays and sometimes competitive.  Treat each other with respect even if you don't like them.  I believe for the Uesugi case one of the coworkers asked him how he was doing one day, and that saved her life later.

You are absolutely right about that.  In the past few years I’ve attended several classes and seminars as an instructor and as a foreman/supervisor on generational differences.  The millennial generation is very self absorbed.  This is due in large part to the advances in personal technology.  The smart phone will continue to drive this larger independence and distance from community.  We literally have the world in our hand now.  Need to look something up?  Just google it.  Feel like playing a video game?  There’s an app for that.  Want to watch a movie or tv?  There’s tons of apps for that.  Want others to see you?  There are lots of apps for that too.  There’s no longer a great need to be a part of your surrounding community.  And definitely right there in the palm of your hand is instant gratification and validation.

That’s not to say there aren’t still hold outs around the world that still foster strong sense of community and nation.  A solid example of that is Japan.  And a major cause for that is it’s built into their education system from day 1.  Mind you they’re not perfect.  At one point in time they had the highest rate of suicide in young adults.  But since then they have made great strides in addressing that.

Instead of worrying about 55 by 25 bull kaka the State should really go back to basics.  Community, family and hard work!  The cornerstone of all great societies.

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 06:46:28 AM »
You are absolutely right about that.  In the past few years I’ve attended several classes and seminars as an instructor and as a foreman/supervisor on generational differences.  The millennial generation is very self absorbed.  This is due in large part to the advances in personal technology.  The smart phone will continue to drive this larger independence and distance from community.  We literally have the world in our hand now.  Need to look something up?  Just google it.  Feel like playing a video game?  There’s an app for that.  Want to watch a movie or tv?  There’s tons of apps for that.  Want others to see you?  There are lots of apps for that too.  There’s no longer a great need to be a part of your surrounding community.  And definitely right there in the palm of your hand is instant gratification and validation.

That’s not to say there aren’t still hold outs around the world that still foster strong sense of community and nation.  A solid example of that is Japan.  And a major cause for that is it’s built into their education system from day 1.  Mind you they’re not perfect.  At one point in time they had the highest rate of suicide in young adults.  But since then they have made great strides in addressing that.

Instead of worrying about 55 by 25 bull kaka the State should really go back to basics.  Community, family and hard work!  The cornerstone of all great societies.

The issue of generational diversity has been a focus of conversation in the engineering field for over 20 years, but more so recently. I took a course on that maybe 6 months ago and it really helped. I’m a tweener and it also actually helped me better understand the generation(s) before.

But yeah, millenials... for better or worse, they are a force and a force that (at least the experts say) previous generations have to adjust to accept as opposed to where previous generations fought to make their place.

drck1000

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
Listened to Trump’s statement this morning. He said many good things, but one that caught my attention was that “we need to do things that make us safer as opposed to measures that make us feel like we are” or something like that. He did touch in mental health and in that context, I took the “measures that make us feel safe” as the “common sense” and “we must do something” fun control measures.

hvybarrels

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »
Community, family and hard work!  The cornerstone of all great societies.

Part of my feeling is these incidents also have a lot to do with the cognitive dissonance of living in a failing society, yet everyone is pretending to a greater or lesser extent that the American Dream is still possible. If a person watches the news every day about how our economy is booming but yet they live under the constant fear of getting laid off or a healthcare-related bankruptcy it begs them to ask what is wrong with themselves, and as that psychological shit stream flows downhill from management to bosses, bosses to employees, employees to kids, and kids to other kids---by the time it reaches the lowest of the low it's so toxic and concentrated that it literally drives people to murderous rampages.

Yes there should be winners and losers and handing out medals to everyone is just silly, but the flip side of that are the cancerous message from the larger society: Poor people are poor because their is something wrong with them, if you work hard enough you can as rich as Gates/Zuck/Bezos, if you are unhappy it's because you don't own enough things, etc. The media works very hard to make us concentrate on individual choices rather than examine the enormous logical gaps and endless broken promises of the system we all signed up for.

Guns, medicaid, teachers, millennials, smarphones... all those issues are meant to distract us from the fact that the world doesn't work like television says it does.

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
Once again as gun owners we are lumped together with this sick individual.  :grrr:
Can't stand these privileged celebrities telling us that we are responsible for this. No that sick bastard is. Not the NRA. I am the NRA and the NRA are millions of citizens who are responsible and sick of people trying to take away our rights because people are too emotional and irrational to blame anything else.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Once again as gun owners we are lumped together with this sick individual.  :grrr:
Can't stand these privileged celebrities telling us that we are responsible for this. No that sick bastard is. Not the NRA. I am the NRA and the NRA are millions of citizens who are responsible and sick of people trying to take away our rights because people are too emotional and irrational to blame anything else.

Chelsea Handler went on a twitter rant blaming pro gun politicians.  Not once did she blame Cruz.

Hanabata

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »
There were warning signs that were ignored... This video kind of sums up some of my feelings on it.

Being less "PC" and getting more involved may have avoided this.

ren

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »
wait let's back the truck up a bit...
a teenager with the last name of CRUZ got into a white supremacist group??!!!
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »

It's a sliding scale. At one point Irish wasn't even considered White.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »

I've seen several reports saying the white supremacists/militia story was planted by trolls as a gag, and it went viral.

Every other detail about Cruz says he was a "Resistance" type who's had behavior issues his whole life, partially due to mental illness or defect.

Trying to tie someone with mental problems to ANY group in order to score political points is useless and lame. Affiliation is not necessarily and indicator of his motivations.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »
CNN wants you to know the following, even though none of it applies to this week's mass shooting.

Fake news till the end!

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall