old skool diners- discuss (Read 5078 times)

drck1000

Re: old skool diners- discuss
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
We used to eat at Bob’s Big Boy when I was a kid. Hof’s Hut (Still in business) was an occasional place we used to go. Sir George’s Smorgasbord (Long gone) was an all you can eat place that was great. Then there was Sambo’s. When my mom had to go downtown Long Beach for whatever reason she would take me to Sambo’s for lunch. Back then coffee was a nickel with unlimited refills. If you spent at least a certain amount, (I think it was $5) they gave you a wooden nickel good for a free coffee. My mom loved coffee and would constantly drink it morning to night. She said Sambo’s had the best coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s

I’m sure some of you here remember Shakey’s Bunch of Lunch? All you can eat pizza, salad, fried chicken, drink, etc.
Bob’s and Meg’s were awesome for lunch when I was growing up. My uncle had a shop in the area where I was moving boxes in the 40-60 lbs range most of the day. Back then, could eat two plate lunches. Now, I rarely eat all of one plate lunch. 😳😝

Dot's Wahaiwa

Byron's was the spot on Saturday night cruises. Avacado burger was disgustingly good, fat dripping off and oh so delicious.

Zippy's isn't mentioned, but it is the quintessential Hawaii drive in,  was good, now they're getting junk.  Too big and mainstream

Shiro's in Ewa Beach has the most awesome pork adobo...  old school, but not.  It was something else back in the day, I forget what it was called.  They had a burger called "smashed cow deluxe"  it was so ono!

Byron’s was awesome for lunch. Shiro’s Ewa was a staple after surfing. My buddy manages the Waimalu one and used to go there often after golf if we played that side.

Zippy’s was a staple HS time and my dad used to like there. But yeah, has gone way downhill and way expensive.

dogman

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
I’m sure some of you here remember Shakey’s Bunch of Lunch? All you can eat pizza, salad, fried chicken, drink, etc.
I used to work a couple of blocks from Shakey's and my friends would drop by a couple of times a week and yell BUNCH A LUNCH!

I remember shakeys, one was on waialae where city mill is now
Or was that chico's?
Chico's ... we would get carded every time we went there. Now places it's "we have a senior citizens discount on Tuesdays".

Bota-CS1

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
49er in Aiea
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »
49er in Aiea
Ya! Their roast pork is awesome.

Wally Ho’s has some good stuff too.

Rocky

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
49er in Aiea
+1
Imagine the view from that window Dec 7, 1941. :o   :(
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bota-CS1

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
I went to Rocky’s in Waipahu a couple of years ago for breakfast.  :thumbsup:
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.