Maximum range for freeshot (Read 5910 times)

Q

Maximum range for freeshot
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
What's the maximum range for long guns during free shoot? Wanting to test various closer range distances (sub 40-50yds) for my 12ga hunting loads.

Thanks guys

changemyoil66

Re: Maximum range for freeshot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »
20 yards

Ive seen a guy set up a target on a chair at the rifle side at 30 yards.  Chair was on it's back so the target was on where the cushion you sit on would be.  Not sure if he knew someone and got special permission.

macsak

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
20 yards

Ive seen a guy set up a target on a chair at the rifle side at 30 yards.  Chair was on it's back so the target was on where the cushion you sit on would be.  Not sure if he knew someone and got special permission.

like CMO says, around 20 yards
you need a frame and a stand so you can move the target and change the paper
you also have to wait to reset, which kinda is a long time

zippz

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
You also have to show up for the range setup in the morning if you want to setup your own target frame.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
You also have to show up for the range setup in the morning if you want to setup your own target frame.

They have resets.  But not consistent like how the rifle side has (every 30 mins).  Some times it's 1 hour later, sometimes none. All depends what needs to be done.

Sometimes you have HFD rescuing a hiker and there's a 20 min long reset.

rklapp

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
AFAIK, they only allow free standing targets less than 50 yards for .22 only and only for zeroing (which means less than 50 rounds). I shoot my .22 1911 at a spinning target at about 20 yards.

When he started using the chair for a target frame, I wondered if his wife knew what he's using the dining room chair for.   :geekdanc:
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Q

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
20 yards

I always try to set up at 25-30 yds for as long as possible on the rifle side, but some ROs are real crybabies and expect you to zero in 3 shots.

This wasnt an issue at the far end of the range (black power benches), but they close this section off for some reason

rklapp

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »
I always try to set up at 25-30 yds for as long as possible on the rifle side, but some ROs are real crybabies and expect you to zero in 3 shots.
This wasnt an issue at the far end of the range (black power benches), but they close this section off for some reason
Mitch complained when I shot more than 50 rounds of .22. I then move the target to the 50 yard line. Len complained once when the target wasn't lined up with my frame and was worried that the ricochet will hit the neighbor target, so I moved it over next round.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Bushido

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Not sure if he knew someone and got special permission.

It does help to know the right people.  :thumbsup:  :geekdanc: :shaka:

zippz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »

It's ricochet issues.  The bullets on a properly designed range should go straight into the back berm, not hit the ground before it.  The closer the targets are the steeper the angle and greater chance of a ricochet.  Less of a problem for 22lr and blackpowder, but the issue is still there.  That's why the city laid sand on the ground to absorb the bullets, but that blew away and not replaced a long time ago.

Even the bays have their own problems due to poor design and lack of maintenance.  The railroad track, no sand on the berm, not sure if the berm is mined for bullets or not, etc...

There are reasons for the rules at the range and bays that most people don't know about.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Q

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
Mitch complained when I shot more than 50 rounds of .22. I then move the target to the 50 yard line. Len complained once when the target wasn't lined up with my frame and was worried that the ricochet will hit the neighbor target, so I moved it over next round.

If they are so worried about ricochets, they should open up the black powder side like they used to, which they don't for whatever reason. Anyone know why, or if its only open on certain days?

zippz

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 06:52:24 AM »
Good time to discuss range safety tips for the bays.

When setting paper targets up close, check where the bullets would hit behind the target.  Should be straight into the dirt backstop.  When doing head or hip shots, or shooting from prone or kneeling, ensure the bullets dont hit the ground before the backstop or grassy part above the dirt backstop.  Raise or lower the target if needed.

Bushido

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
I have had multiple times where ricochets at 50 has hit my target/frame at 100. Some don't realize that all the deep trenches line up with the benches. Sure some of the pipes are bent but most are guys that don't know how to line up their targets.

HDF and the RSOs there do a good job of ensuring the impacts hit the berm directly. 

Q

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 01:21:18 AM »
Good time to discuss range safety tips for the bays.

When setting paper targets up close, check where the bullets would hit behind the target.  Should be straight into the dirt backstop.  When doing head or hip shots, or shooting from prone or kneeling, ensure the bullets dont hit the ground before the backstop or grassy part above the dirt backstop.  Raise or lower the target if needed.

I have no idea how this relates to my question.

Not sure how asking what the maximum range is transformed into an instructional about range safety that no one asked for.  ???

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:13 AM »
I have no idea how this relates to my question.

Not sure how asking what the maximum range is transformed into an instructional about range safety that no one asked for.  ???

Zipps was just helping by providing additional info about safety.  A review is always good to do.  Some get so accustomed to doing things a certain way that they take for granted they're being safe about it.  Not saying you do Q, but others may read this post.

A few weeks ago I was at the rifle side.  A guy uncased his AR and it was pointing at me.  The RSO quickly stepped in and lectured him.  His response "I know it's empty".  The RSO said while pointing at me "That guy doesn't know it's empty.  And last week, someone else did the same thing and also said "it's empty".  But when I stepped in and checked, there was a round in the chamber".