Carbine class? (Read 6144 times)

spicynoodle_1

Carbine class?
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
Does anyone know of a carbine/pistol class here on the island? Interested in becoming more efficient with my rifle/pistol  in a self/home defense situation, should it present itself. I go to the range and plink, practice dry firing, reloading, etc. But really never any situational stuff. Also what kind of gear is recommended, stuff like that. Lemme know! Interested in your feedback. Mahalo!

zippz

Re: Carbine class?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »
Hdf has a carbine class in a couple weeks, check it out in their section below.

A good tactical sling and attachment is a must, 2pts are the best general purpose sling.  I have the Vickers blue force 2 point sling.

Knee and elbow pads are good depending on the type of class.

Bring backup guns if you got, incase yours go down.

Pen and pocket notepad to take notes or else you'll forget stuff later
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »
Besides HDF, there are some, but you have to either know someone or get invited.

I’ve taken carbine classes all over US and locally. There are some quality training locally for sure. I’ve shared a lot of my experiences in this thread.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=31114.0

Overall, zips covered good ones. Having quality gear will be very helpful. Especially stuff like mags and of course the gun itself. Never want to be fighting your gear.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
The HDF stuff is not CQB type of skill builders. But more complicated than just standing at the firing line and shooting/reloading.  More moving and even different firing positions under time restraints.  Amazing how much accuracy goes down when under something as simple as a timer and a 5 yard target.  Target distances are between 5 and 20 yards for both the pistol and rifle skill builders.

If you read the HDF post about the classes, I usually post a review of what I learned for each one.  Review about gear that worked or need rearranging.  Learning different firing positions and reloading from those positions.  But the main thing all these skill builders taught me is to "work through the problem".  The exercise doesn't stop just because you had an issue.  But deal with it and solve it to continue the exercise.

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Kinda bummed I wont be able to attend the HDF class coming up on the 24th. Hope there'll be more in the near future. I'll keep a look out from now on for upcoming events... For now, gotta gear up!

zippz

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
Another class on August 31 by Bravo Co.

Mission Bravo one day defensive carbine course, open to the public, this is a two day course which is condensed into one full day of training. We will cover everything from basic marksmanship to advanced weapons handling, Mental states of awareness, Engaging multiple threats and shoot and no shooting situations www.missionbravo.com
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Kinda bummed I wont be able to attend the HDF class coming up on the 24th. Hope there'll be more in the near future. I'll keep a look out from now on for upcoming events... For now, gotta gear up!

HDF range days are the 4th Saturday of the month
announcements are usually made before the second Saturday of the month
under special circumstances, announcement schedule may vary

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »

Follow them on FB, they post the open shoot/skill builder info.

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
Another class on August 31 by Bravo Co.

Mission Bravo one day defensive carbine course, open to the public, this is a two day course which is condensed into one full day of training. We will cover everything from basic marksmanship to advanced weapons handling, Mental states of awareness, Engaging multiple threats and shoot and no shooting situations www.missionbravo.com

Roger that.  Gonna try get my ducks in a row and make it to this one!

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 10:13:33 PM »
HDF range days are the 4th Saturday of the month
announcements are usually made before the second Saturday of the month
under special circumstances, announcement schedule may vary

Will keep a look out for these!  Thanks Macksak!

Follow them on FB, they post the open shoot/skill builder info.

Headed there right now!

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:11 AM »
Roger that.  Gonna try get my ducks in a row and make it to this one!
Did you end up making it out to that class?  Another shooting friend had posted that she was going, but I haven't heard from her since.

I usually see updates before, during, and after these classes.  Didn't see them this go around, so was wondering if it fell through.  I saw that there's a pistol course scheduled for September. 

Anyways, if you made it out, how'd it go? 

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
Wasn't able to make it out to the class. My son got sick and I had to stay home and watch him. I'll make it out to one someday. I did gear up though. Got some mag pouches and sling. Been messing around with the sling I got (Magpul MS4 sling) and its really comfortable and easy to maneuver in...

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Wasn't able to make it out to the class. My son got sick and I had to stay home and watch him. I'll make it out to one someday. I did gear up though. Got some mag pouches and sling. Been messing around with the sling I got (Magpul MS4 sling) and its really comfortable and easy to maneuver in...
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it out.  I believe there's a carbine class coming up.  Should be on the website that Zips posted.  I still get the emails for the classes even though I haven't gone for a while.  So PM me if you don't see anything on their website, but you're still interested.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
They have a handgun class scheduled for 23 Nov.  I believe they've added quite a bit more steel at their usual range.  I haven't shot with them for a while though, but see updates from some friends who go. 

Platinum808

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 07:47:02 AM »
Mission bravo Camp Smith in Kaneohe is another one that does the classes on private property so way more freedom!
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
Mission bravo Camp Smith in Kaneohe is another one that does the classes on private property so way more freedom!

When do they hold these classes and how does one sign up?

zippz

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
When do they hold these classes and how does one sign up?