anti-GMO people have no idea what GMO means (Read 16018 times)

edster48

Re: anti-GMO people have no idea what GMO means
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
The Kimmel vid was great!

While I can't claim to have done any serious research into this, I have looked around and read some of the anti GMO propaganda and some studies from universities. Seems there are a lot of "possibly" and "maybe" and "could" statements and very little real evidence that GMO' s have caused any harm to anyone.

I actually did some work for Monsanto over on Maui some years ago when all this controversy was just starting and happened to get to talk to one of the guys in charge of growing the corn. His statement to me was "Dude, it's fucking corn. We take genes from other plants and bind them into the corn to make it more resistant to pests, disease and drought, that's it." Pretty straightforward science if you ask me. I personally would rather the plant was modified so that they don't have to spray literally tons of pesticides that eventually leach into the groundwater that we drink. It also allows more food to be grown in more arid areas to feed starving populations that don't have many other alternatives.

The whole GMO thing seems to be an extension of the "Global Warming" hysteria that has gripped the more mindless amongst us.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

ren

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
The Kimmel vid was great!

While I can't claim to have done any serious research into this, I have looked around and read some of the anti GMO propaganda and some studies from universities. Seems there are a lot of "possibly" and "maybe" and "could" statements and very little real evidence that GMO' s have caused any harm to anyone.

I actually did some work for Monsanto over on Maui some years ago when all this controversy was just starting and happened to get to talk to one of the guys in charge of growing the corn. His statement to me was "Dude, it's fucking corn. We take genes from other plants and bind them into the corn to make it more resistant to pests, disease and drought, that's it." Pretty straightforward science if you ask me. I personally would rather the plant was modified so that they don't have to spray literally tons of pesticides that eventually leach into the groundwater that we drink. It also allows more food to be grown in more arid areas to feed starving populations that don't have many other alternatives.

The whole GMO thing seems to be an extension of the "Global Warming" hysteria that has gripped the more mindless amongst us.

Thats what I remember from school - intermediate school! Now all we do is listen to the biggest loudmouth and accept it, then look around to see what is there to protest. Yay!
Deeds Not Words

bass monkey

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
Open air cross pollination seems to be a problem in some areas of the world. Gmo cotton mixes with wild/native cotton and all become gmo and possibly sterile destroying ecosystems.

Heavies

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »
I have a feeling this will destroy what ever economy is left on Molokai.  Sad that hysteria trumps the well being and prosperity of the working citizens in this country. 

edster48

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:29 AM »
Open air cross pollination seems to be a problem in some areas of the world. Gmo cotton mixes with wild/native cotton and all become gmo and possibly sterile destroying ecosystems.

There's that word, again. Possibly. Don't you think that after 30 years there would be some actual hard evidence if this was the case?

I suppose it's POSSIBLE that I could grow a second dick to better satisfy women, but science tells us it's highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:44:15 AM by edster48 »
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.

bass monkey

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Lol. I put possibly because I don't remember exactly what the story said and didn't want to get called out on it. Instead I get called out on the "possibly". Lol.   :shaka:
I'll try go look for the article and see what or if it says

edster48

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »
Lol. I put possibly because I don't remember exactly what the story said and didn't want to get called out on it. Instead I get called out on the "possibly". Lol.   :shaka:
I'll try go look for the article and see what or if it says

Not a personal "call out" brother, more like calling out the people spreading disinformation. Again, I haven't immersed myself in this subject, just read what was readily available, and it was hardly convincing. I'm just tired of listening to supposed "experts" touting their theories as fact when they should know damn well that correlation is not causation.

Please do look up the article if you have time. I'd be interested to know how many possibly's, might's, and maybe's it contains.
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.

hvybarrels

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
They used to say cell phones don't cause brain cancer, fluoride is safe in your water, and fda approved drugs are not dangerous. The problem is science for sale. Nobody knows who to believe anymore. The one thing we do know is that industrial agriculture is unsustainable and destructive. Pumping synthetic npk and toxic pesticides into dead soil is a recipe for dust bowls, financial crashes, and social instability.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

mauidog

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »
They used to say cell phones don't cause brain cancer, fluoride is safe in your water, and fda approved drugs are not dangerous. The problem is science for sale. Nobody knows who to believe anymore. The one thing we do know is that industrial agriculture is unsustainable and destructive. Pumping synthetic npk and toxic pesticides into dead soil is a recipe for dust bowls, financial crashes, and social instability.

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

bass monkey

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
Heres an article about GM wheat growing in the wild.
http://www.naturalnews.com/047343_GM_wheat_cross_contamination_GMOs.html

The Mexicans are also thinking of ways to try and preserve their corn varieties.

edster48

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
Heres an article about GM wheat growing in the wild.
http://www.naturalnews.com/047343_GM_wheat_cross_contamination_GMOs.html

The Mexicans are also thinking of ways to try and preserve their corn varieties.

OK, this wheat is "growing wild" after the original strain was supposed to be destroyed. Obviously it hasn't caused sterility or the plants wouldn't exist. Unless someone has a "stash" of GMO wheat they have decided to grow, for whatever reason. I still see no scientific evidence that this is harmful to humans, or even to wheat. It is simply resistant to the effects of herbicide, specifically Roundup. How is this a problem? Are you worried that wheat will take over the planet?

The article further states that the only real problem with this is the fact that some other countries have banned GMO's and won't import our wheat into their country. Gee, that IS too bad. We will have an abundance of cheap food, while they will scramble for expensive non GMO food. My heart bleeds, truly. I'm betting that if they have a wheat shortage, they'll become GMO eating mofo's. Hunger is an amazing motivator.

Lastly, I read the lead-ins for some of the other articles on the page. They were all filled with the same "may", "could" and "possibly" qualifiers I mentioned before, no proof.

I remain unconvinced.
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.