ok, guys, time to get moving on this range cleanup day- i am writing an email to (Read 46615 times)

macsak

the parks director and rangemaster in the am

i am volunteering to organize manpower only
i have had someone step up to volunteer to produce and distribute a flyer to all the LGS and the range
i will be asking all of you to contact all of your friends/relatives that shoot via FB, twitter, text, email, phone
and i will be asking all of you to contact whatever 2a/shooting sports organizations you are a member of to drum up support

i don't have the time to obtain donations of supplies/materials/equipment
if someone would volunteer to do that, i would be ok with that
otherwise, we would each need to provide our own tools and stuff, and we would count on the city to provide supplies/materials, etc

same goes with donations of food and drinks
i don't have the time nor to do that either
if someone would volunteer to do that, i would be ok with that
otherwise, we would all be responsible for our own food/drink, or we could have a potluck

we should also come up with a list of things we would like to have accomplished
mike has told us he needs new metal stands welded to be placed underground
we have several welders on this board who have said they would help with this
another frequent complaint is the restrooms
we could powerwash/paint and have any handy people/plumbers go over the toilets/faucets/doors
and electricians check out the wiring

what else could/should we accomplish?
weedwhacking/mowing?
painting the structure? i guess we could do the same things to the rifle range structure as we do to the bathrooms
i bet there's all kinds of junk in the store rooms on the sides that mike wouldn't mind getting hauled out

what's your vision for this day?
please let me know

Q

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:46:43 PM by Q »

bass monkey

Painting and getting the bathroom done sounds like a wonderful idea.
Maybe use up all the paint and paint whatever can get covered.
Did the roof get finished? If there are unfinished sections maybe could finish the repairs
Weld and add more frame posts like at 25yrs instead of the 2 only on the right side.  And maybe fix up the 200 yard ones
Maybe think of ideas to keep the frame holders lined up so people not shooting the wrong frames/targets
If there is available lumber change out shot up roofs, counters, etc
Paint parking stalls, speed bumps, arrows, handicap parking, etc etc

bass monkey

When will this happen? Maybe I'll be back or can schedule something.

Lifer

Mac, post the dates as soon as you can.

I'm working alot out of town, but will try my best to be there.

I don't go to the rifle side often, but like Q said we all need to make an effort to help. It's only a matter of time before they try and shut down the action bays too. :grrr:

macsak

Mac, post the dates as soon as you can.

I'm working alot out of town, but will try my best to be there.

I don't go to the rifle side often, but like Q said we all need to make an effort to help. It's only a matter of time before they try and shut down the action bays too. :grrr:

mahalo, lifer
i can use all the support i can get
i will post the date as soon as i know
hdf range day is on sat the 28th, so it can't be then

what is the best day for everyone?
best day for me would be sunday the 29th
next best is thursday the 27th
and then thursday the 2nd of jan
that's not counting dec 24/25 and dec 31/jan 1

hnl.flyboy

As long as it's not on a Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday, count me in!!  :thumbsup:
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP

macsak

When will this happen? Maybe I'll be back or can schedule something.

plan is to do it while rifle range is closed
projected opening date is early 2014
lead time to get organized and availability of volunteers means sometime around the holidays
i know it sucks, but we need time to work out the details

macsak

reward for coming to the cleanup-
meet Q
:o

- painting
- weed wacking/mowing
- brass/shell clean up

That's basically off the top of my head. I like the idea of cleaning out the storage containers, because who knows what treasures we might find in there.

Stomper also suggested coordinating with the airline companies and see if they are willing to give away their gutted seating for free. I'm tired of seeing those shitty ass couches, and I know it adds to the 'we need renovations desperately' appeal of the range.

Personally, I think the biggest thing is this: if you are member of a 2a organization, or shoot at the range on even a weekly/monthly basis, you should be here; especially with regards to the HDF members. If 2a is something you are serious about, and you honestly want to make an effort to defend 2a rights, there should be no reason that you can't make the time to come and help with the range. People are going to complain that they need to work or something came up; guess what: cancel whatever it is and get to the range to help. There are numerous rallies and events that happen that motivate people to do the same, so I don't see why 2a supporters can't do the same. People always often wonder why these individuals are winning the fight against us, and its because they are willing to sacrifice their time to support their side of the cause. I think its time we do the same.

In closing: If the reclusive hermit known as Q is making the effort to support this, there is no reason why anyone else can't do so as well.

Dolomite

Let us know the dates and times.... Would have been at the range anyway so might as well help the cause....

macsak

- painting
- weed wacking/mowing
- brass/shell clean up

That's basically off the top of my head. I like the idea of cleaning out the storage containers, because who knows what treasures we might find in there.

Stomper also suggested coordinating with the airline companies and see if they are willing to give away their gutted seating for free. I'm tired of seeing those shitty ass couches, and I know it adds to the 'we need renovations desperately' appeal of the range.

Personally, I think the biggest thing is this: if you are member of a 2a organization, or shoot at the range on even a weekly/monthly basis, you should be here; especially with regards to the HDF members. If 2a is something you are serious about, and you honestly want to make an effort to defend 2a rights, there should be no reason that you can't make the time to come and help with the range. People are going to complain that they need to work or something came up; guess what: cancel whatever it is and get to the range to help. There are numerous rallies and events that happen that motivate people to do the same, so I don't see why 2a supporters can't do the same. People always often wonder why these individuals are winning the fight against us, and its because they are willing to sacrifice their time to support their side of the cause. I think its time we do the same.

In closing: If the reclusive hermit known as Q is making the effort to support this, there is no reason why anyone else can't do so as well.

yeah, i thought of seamstresses/upholsterers for the couches
::)

mahalo for your input and support, Q

macsak

Painting and getting the bathroom done sounds like a wonderful idea.
Maybe use up all the paint and paint whatever can get covered.
Did the roof get finished? If there are unfinished sections maybe could finish the repairs
Weld and add more frame posts like at 25yrs instead of the 2 only on the right side.  And maybe fix up the 200 yard ones
Maybe think of ideas to keep the frame holders lined up so people not shooting the wrong frames/targets
If there is available lumber change out shot up roofs, counters, etc
Paint parking stalls, speed bumps, arrows, handicap parking, etc etc

roof repairs are finished
will also be extended by city crews over the next few weeks
this is a design/safety/liability thing
we have to stay away from that

but we can do a lot with just hard work

i thought of the idea of leaf blowing the parking lot, but i didn't think of painting the curbs and lines
not sure if there are guidelines/procedures we have to follow but i can find out

guys you should've seen how relieved mike looked when the parks director said the mayor said to make it happen
we have to take this opportunity we have been asking for for years, and help out mike get what he needs done

JHanawahine

I know someone who may be able to donate painting supplies.Ill make that call tommorrow to see if he will

Heavies

I will be free any time from Dec 20th till Jan 3  Excluding, of course, the eve and day of CHRISTmas (in case the butthead is reading this) and new years (family first on these days)...

I have a small welder and know how to use it, also have a chop saw for metal, and minor fab skills..  These items need 110V power though, so a small generator may be necessary. (that I do not have)
I will also be very happy to do manual labor..  No problem.  Dates as soon as known would be a great help.

Heavies

We need a plan of what exactly we are allowed to do, and materials that we need to accomplish the task as soon as possible.  Hopefully, with all of our members, most items can be had a little or no cost.

Heavies

I hope they didn't shitcan my ar500 steel gong that was out there...  :(

macsak

I know someone who may be able to donate painting supplies.Ill make that call tommorrow to see if he will

mahalo jhana
every little bit helps

let me know what you can find

anyone else have contacts in painting/building supply?

macsak

I will be free any time from Dec 20th till Jan 3  Excluding, of course, the eve and day of CHRISTmas (in case the butthead is reading this) and new years (family first on these days)...

I have a small welder and know how to use it, also have a chop saw for metal, and minor fab skills..  These items need 110V power though, so a small generator may be necessary. (that I do not have)
I will also be very happy to do manual labor..  No problem.  Dates as soon as known would be a great help.

yeah, i think lots of the folks from the shipyard will be available between the holidays
that's why i am concentrating on those dates

i will be asking for access to power, and perhaps generators
i bet a lot of our members have those too in their preps

mahalo for your support, heavy

macsak

We need a plan of what exactly we are allowed to do, and materials that we need to accomplish the task as soon as possible.  Hopefully, with all of our members, most items can be had a little or no cost.

exactly
i need ideas
and then we need people to make it happen
let's work on the date and the plan

i just need to know what our resources/capabilities are

macsak

hopefully, your gong is in storage
we are going to volunteer to help mike clean out his storage area
(and maybe his office) >:D