Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences (Read 33061 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2024, 01:03:54 PM »
Ccw qual with RDS on a shield plus. And cold, havent shot for over a year.

Then did the VP9 iron sights after and still scored 100%, but grouping was slightly bigger.

So, i think RDS is more accurate for me. But still slower on the initial acquesition. Which practice can fix, as i shot irons for thousands of more rounds than a RDS.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2024, 01:10:08 PM »
Ccw qual with RDS on a shield plus. And cold, havent shot for over a year.

Then did the VP9 iron sights after and still scored 100%, but grouping was slightly bigger.

So, i think RDS is more accurate for me. But still slower on the initial acquesition. Which practice can fix, as i shot irons for thousands of more rounds than a RDS.

SNIP
That's a generous line break (top 9 ring)  :P

Now that you qual'ed, try shooting while "pushing it".  Say 1/2 the part times. 

I reshot recently as well.  I would say I shot "careful", but pushing it a bit.  Threw one at 15.  Otherwise clean.  Think I was getting a little cocky after shooting the 3-10 yard distances clean.  I want to shoot the qual again with my 43x and pushing the pace. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2024, 01:16:31 PM »
That's a generous line break (top 9 ring)  :P

Now that you qual'ed, try shooting while "pushing it".  Say 1/2 the part times. 

I reshot recently as well.  I would say I shot "careful", but pushing it a bit.  Threw one at 15.  Otherwise clean.  Think I was getting a little cocky after shooting the 3-10 yard distances clean.  I want to shoot the qual again with my 43x and pushing the pace.

A break is a break.  If in doubt, it counts.

Usually when I attend open shoots, my first mag is a mag dump and to see how accurate I can be cold.  IDK when I'm going to get to do this again though. Might go to Vegas before the next time an open shoot happens.

drck1000

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2024, 01:24:57 PM »
A break is a break.  If in doubt, it counts.

Usually when I attend open shoots, my first mag is a mag dump and to see how accurate I can be cold.  IDK when I'm going to get to do this again though. Might go to Vegas before the next time an open shoot happens.
O0

Missed the point, but not quite a swoosh worthy. . .

You should shoot a match with sakmak. . . I think that would be interesting. .. alledgedly

changemyoil66

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2024, 02:50:49 PM »
O0

Missed the point, but not quite a swoosh worthy. . .

You should shoot a match with sakmak. . . I think that would be interesting. .. alledgedly

How?  Since he owns no guns.

drck1000

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:16 PM »
How?  Since he owns no guns.
sakmak is the xhe alter ego that owns guns. . .

groveler

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2024, 08:51:06 PM »
Can't put red a dot on my PPK/S clone.
My wife will never see a new LC 9 with integral laser.
My conceal carry guns.
Safely stashed away outside HI.

I was always taught to keep both eyes open when shooting.
aim with one eye and watch for what ever with the other.
I suppose that comes from my heavy shotgun  background,
you really don't use sights much when the target is moving.
In fact all my hunting and self protection shotguns have no sights
on the barrel.
Just me I guess.
 :geekdanc:

drck1000

« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2024, 09:12:42 PM »
My conceal carry guns.

on the barrel.
Just me I guess.
RDS in pistol and carbine, def both eyes open. As for everything else, uh, mkay…

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2024, 12:32:24 AM »
My conceal carry guns.

on the barrel.
Just me I guess.

If your everyday carry (EDC) pistols are in another state,
you're doing it wrong.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2024, 01:20:33 PM »
If your everyday carry (EDC) pistols are in another state,
you're doing it wrong.
Since I'm a legal resident of WA state,
have a WA state CCW license,
and I refuse to register any gun I may own, with the state of
Hawaii,  and the CCW hoops are BS and CCW licenses useless after all
new "safe" zones your governments have created,
what do you suggest?
I know that sentence is too long.
Airplane tickets are cheap.
 :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2024, 02:21:33 PM »
Anyways. . .  :stopjack:

Been watching a lot of videos on vision plane focus and tendency for eyes to focus on the dot, especially in target transitions and efforts to "track the dot".  Where many think they are "target focused", but aren't.  I've been shooting more recently with an occluded dot, where you definitely "see" if you are target focused or not.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2024, 02:35:56 PM »
Since I'm a legal resident of WA state,
have a WA state CCW license,
and I refuse to register any gun I may own, with the state of
Hawaii,  and the CCW hoops are BS and CCW licenses useless after all
new "safe" zones your governments have created,
what do you suggest?
I know that sentence is too long.
Airplane tickets are cheap.
 :thumbsup:

I "suggest" that you calling a pistol your concealed carry doesn't have any meaning in this context.  If you can't get to it in a pinch, it might as well not exist.

Maybe coin a new term?  Perhaps "Out-of-State Carry (OSC)'?  That's pretty much what carry pistols were for those of us who carried them while on travel to the mainland.  The big differrence is it was still a viable home defense option here when not traveling.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2024, 02:59:05 PM »
focus...

Anyways. . .  :stopjack:

Been watching a lot of videos on vision plane focus and tendency for eyes to focus on the dot, especially in target transitions and efforts to "track the dot".  Where many think they are "target focused", but aren't.  I've been shooting more recently with an occluded dot, where you definitely "see" if you are target focused or not.

drck1000

« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2024, 03:32:31 PM »
focus...
it's vision fukus. . .

8)

oldfart

« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2024, 04:14:32 PM »
Y'all might remember about 3 years ago I finished a match after my front sight broke off. Try shooting with no sights some time. At close range it's mostly just lining up the top of the gun anyway.
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2024, 05:27:08 PM »
focusing on target...OK....
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2024, 05:52:36 PM »
focusing on target...OK....
From your previous postings, you focus on the dot, correct? Why is that? Is that for shooting USPSA or defensive shooting?

Look up opinions/feedback from Glock Captain and USAMU (or maybe former by now) shooter Shane Coley. Or other Master and Grandmaster shooters, like Ben Stoeger and JJ Racaza.

But hey, at least you shoot. Not a broken record…

ETA: Shane Coley is now former USAMU.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:12:09 PM by drck1000 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2024, 06:12:54 PM »
Y'all might remember about 3 years ago I finished a match after my front sight broke off. Try shooting with no sights some time. At close range it's mostly just lining up the top of the gun anyway.
I use the corner/edge of the slide

drck1000

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2024, 06:15:21 PM »
I use the corner/edge of the slide

Guud enuff?

USAH match April 19. Try carry optics, but you can try your no-sights theory…

ren

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2024, 07:18:49 PM »
From your previous postings, you focus on the dot, correct? Why is that? Is that for shooting USPSA or defensive shooting?

Look up opinions/feedback from Glock Captain and USAMU (or maybe former by now) shooter Shane Coley. Or other Master and Grandmaster shooters, like Ben Stoeger and JJ Racaza.

But hey, at least you shoot. Not a broken record…

ETA: Shane Coley is now former USAMU.

https://thecmp.org/training-tech/shooting-tips-from-the-usamu-service-rifle-team/usamu-faqs-equipment-and-ammunition/

Q: Sir: Thanks to you and the whole team for your articles on highpower shooting. This is my first year shooting and I am really enjoying it. I shoot both a match rifle and an AR15 Armalite service rifle. I am 52 years old. I shoot right-handed and use my right eye for aiming. I require corrective lenses for far sightedness, and this year I got bi-focal glasses for shooting. The lower lens for reading the scorebook, and the upper part of the lens provides clear focus on the front sight post thanks to my eye doctor.

I am using the smallest aperture for the rear NM sight, 0.043. While this helps improve my depth of field over the three larger apertures I have, I still have trouble getting good focus on both the front sight and the target at 600 yards (I have less of a problem at 200 and 300 yards). An experienced shooter suggested an even smaller aperture would improve the depth of field at 600. Do you agree, and if so, where is a source for a smaller aperture for my NM sight? Is there another type of insert for my NM sight that would improve the focus and keep the rifle legal for service rifle competition?

Looking forward to your response, and thanks again for your great service to shooting sports.

Keith H.

A: Mr. H
You brought up a point that many new shooters have difficulty understanding. The only thing that should be in focus is the front sight. The human eye can only focus on one thing at a time, even young eyes. While the aperture does help with the depth of field, it cannot overcome the limitations of the eye. You have to check the alignment of the front and rear sights before finalizing your aim, but final focus must only be on the front sight. The target will be blurry.

If it is not, then there is no way for you to know exactly where you are pointing the rifle. This is one of the most important things for you to make sure you do every shot, and one that will allow your scores to progress at a faster rate. Good luck.

SFC Lance Hopper

http://www.odcmp.org/0907/default.asp?page=USAMU_SIGHTPICTURE

What Sight Picture Is Best For You?

By SSG Tobie Tomlinson, USAMU Service Rifle Team Member

Which is correct? There are a myriad of sight picture options that shooters have used to great effect over the years. The sight picture that allows you to consistently shoot the smallest group, with a minimal shift in zeros, is the correct one. In the next few paragraphs we will explore a few of the more commonly used sight picture options. Remember, for any shooter to be successful, consistent sight picture must be complemented by front sight focus and sight alignment.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:30:26 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words