Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences (Read 32784 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2024, 06:09:45 PM »
Another possibility is upside down battery.

This happened to me as the tray is very snug for my Holosun. So when I popped it out, IDK which way the batter was because it flipped like a coin. 

drck1000

« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2024, 06:26:48 PM »
Another possibility is upside down battery.
Someone asked him that.  :rofl:

He reported it was working previously and just went out. Did some research and seems like some reports of bending contacts and short initial battery life. I use all Duracell or Panasonic batteries, and will change if it comes with another brand.

drck1000

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2024, 06:29:47 PM »
This happened to me as the tray is very snug for my Holosun. So when I popped it out, IDK which way the batter was because it flipped like a coin.
You have a 50/50 chance of being ok, or test yourself as if the dot went down. Flip the battery before every course of fire.

That reminds me, watch the screw on the battery door. I was in a class where two guys lost the screw for the battery door. Range ground was all rocks, so no chance to find.

Rocky

« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »
Separate topic, but you can setup double feeds as well.  In a SB a LONNNGGG time ago, your partner has to setup your mags.  General intent was 2 randomly spaced casings inserted to simulate double feed to occur randomly in a COF.  My partner happened to put like 4-5 in one mag. . . ended up being during the portion of the COF where I was at the bottom of the VTAC. . . evil. . . I could hear them laughing. . .  :grrr:  ;D
   We do one called "F" your buddy where buddy loads mags and tosses in a couple snap caps randomly and inserts in your holstered firearm.
Tap and rack dance.
Some "buddys" will fill the whole mag with dummy's, but after 3 or more, I automatically change mags

I like iron sights but I (or should I say my eyes) finally broke down for the dot on my HDS.
G19 with light and holosun, it does not conceal well on my slim  :rofl:  figure for CC.
I do well with my smaller frames from concealed but usually don't go anywhere, maybe town once or twice a month and feel the CC need more when returning home and entering my house.

My range bag always has extra battery's for all equipment that requires them, including ears, but I've given them more to others than needed myself.

Our qaul times are all under 2.5 up to 7 yards (one guy under 1.5 but he's an alien),  around 5 sec @ 10 yds and a hair over that from 15yds (alien is faster).
USUALLY 100% or 10 points off if trying to push it.
Have not shot test with HD gun yet but will this weekend.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:21 PM »
   We do one called "F" your buddy where buddy loads mags and tosses in a couple snap caps randomly and inserts in your holstered firearm.
Tap and rack dance.
Some "buddys" will fill the whole mag with dummy's, but after 3 or more, I automatically change mags

I like iron sights but I (or should I say my eyes) finally broke down for the dot on my HDS.
G19 with light and holosun, it does not conceal well on my slim  :rofl:  figure for CC.
I do well with my smaller frames from concealed but usually don't go anywhere, maybe town once or twice a month and feel the CC need more when returning home and entering my house.

My range bag always has extra battery's for all equipment that requires them, including ears, but I've given them more to others than needed myself.

Our qaul times are all under 2.5 up to 7 yards (one guy under 1.5 but he's an alien),  around 5 sec @ 10 yds and a hair over that from 15yds (alien is faster).
USUALLY 100% or 10 points off if trying to push it.
Have not shot test with HD gun yet but will this weekend.
Which Holosun did you end up going with? 

I am going to try to shoot the CCW qual again this weekend with Glock 17.4 with irons and maybe my M&P with irons, just to try. 

Does the alien's name start with D?  ;D

Rocky

« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2024, 01:49:47 PM »
Which Holosun did you end up going with?  407

Does the alien's name start with D?  ;D
Yeah, but I call him "Otto"
I think the last time we were with you was with BB and while I was at truck checking equipment, HPD showed up for  "Someone firing full "Otto"  :rofl: :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2024, 03:24:08 PM »
Re. " F your buddy" drill.

There are 2 conflicting philosophies in the pistol world in the event of a misfire.

Tap, rack, bang -in tactical training.
Or
Stop and keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction and wait a few seconds in the event of a hang fire.

What to do?
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2024, 01:14:22 PM »
re:Otto
Ya.  Those were some great range days. 

For your CC, what light?  Dot is 407K, right?  I have CC'ed a 17 with X300U/T and Acro.  I've lost quite a bit of weight since you last saw me, but still not "trim" like you.  I typically cc a 17.5 with EPS and TLR7A. 

Rocky

« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2024, 10:40:10 AM »
Ya.  Those were some great range days. 

For your CC, what light?  Dot is 407K, right?  I have CC'ed a 17 with X300U/T and Acro.  I've lost quite a bit of weight since you last saw me, but still not "trim" like you.  I typically cc a 17.5 with EPS and TLR7A.
   No light on CC, I don't travel out at night.
Besides, with my trim figure, would be hard to conceal.  :rofl:
Working the G43 and S & W Airweight

TLR 7 on HD G19 with Holosun 407.

Yeah, saw a recent pic of "less" of you, bet that feels better, but now you can't use your belly to convert your IWB holster into a level 2 holster.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2024, 07:39:54 AM »
   No light on CC, I don't travel out at night.
Besides, with my trim figure, would be hard to conceal.  :rofl:
Working the G43 and S & W Airweight

TLR 7 on HD G19 with Holosun 407.

Yeah, saw a recent pic of "less" of you, bet that feels better, but now you can't use your belly to convert your IWB holster into a level 2 holster.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
With my 19 or 17 with TLR 7A, the holster bulk isn't noticable, since it's on the grip side of the barrel.  I also have a 43x for CCW, but no light rail version.

Feels good overall.  Now there's other methods of "replicating level 2"  ;D

zippz

« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2024, 08:23:03 AM »
I got a TLR7 on my Glock 48.  Doesn't add much to the size.

But like night sights, weapon mounted lights have a relatively small set of circumstances where they would be used. And majority of civilian CCWers don't train the proper use of them.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2024, 08:29:48 AM »
Trained on a VTAC barrier with a red dot yesterday.  It is so much easier and can be more accurate and quicker as your eye can be slightly out of alignment with the bore or the gun rotated.  Like rotating the gun 90 degrees.  It can be done with irons, but more difficult and slower to do.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
Trained on a VTAC barrier with a red dot yesterday.  It is so much easier and can be more accurate and quicker as your eye can be slightly out of alignment with the bore or the gun rotated.  Like rotating the gun 90 degrees.  It can be done with irons, but more difficult and slower to do.
I've noticed the positional shooting aspect, especially with red dots on rifle.  Somewhat with handguns.  One thing I did notice with VTAC is watch out for the height over bore.  Didn't put holes in the barrier, but there are plenty holes in barriers that have been "signed". 

I got a TLR7 on my Glock 48.  Doesn't add much to the size.

But like night sights, weapon mounted lights have a relatively small set of circumstances where they would be used. And majority of civilian CCWers don't train the proper use of them.
Not sure if I mentioned in this thread or training thread, but RDS with no/low light and using white light is one aspect where RDS is really helpful.  As for training, yeah, not many opportunities in Hawaii. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2024, 10:47:58 AM »
Didn't put holes in the barrier, but there are plenty holes in barriers that have been "signed". 

No lie, get your sig all over the wood. :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2024, 11:09:33 AM »
No lie, get your sig all over the wood. :rofl:
No, but IIRC I was there when you or Mrs. CMO had to sign the NEW VTAC barrier. . .  ;D