Hunting scope question (Read 1470 times)

tim808

Hunting scope question
« on: February 15, 2024, 08:00:37 PM »
Edited 2/25/2024 to add:
Lpvo 1-4x24, 1-8x24, etc) should be ok to 3-6x magnification depending on my eye pupil (probably 4-6mm in low light).  Objective lense / magnification = scope exit pupil

24mm/4x = 6mm scope exit pupil
24mm/6x = 4mm scope exit pupil

If the scope exit pupil > 6mm, my eye won’t see the difference

If I try 8x magnification:
24mm/8x = 3mm scope exit pupil.  My eye will notice a dimmer sight picture

So Lpvo (small 24mm objective lense) will be dim after 6x magnification

So my 1-4x24 will likely be ok for me for low light on Oahu (pig hunting ok,  goat hunting nope)

https://imaging.nikon.com/sport-optics/guide/binoculars/basic/basic_05/#:~:text=The%20larger%20the%20diameter%20is,situations%20and%20for%20astronomical%20observation.

End

2/15/24
Sorry, I know there is a hunting section but don’t think it has much traffic

I am trying to talk myself into trying hunting again.  Read that a 2-7x32  or a 3-9x40 with an illuminated reticle should be adequate for under 200 yards.   I think when my dad or friends took us hunting on Lanai, all the shots taken were under 200.  I don’t think that I would take a shot over 200…

I also read that 1-4x24, 1-6x24 and 1-8x24 make poor hunting scopes because a 24mm objective lense is too small.  Will not be able to see in low lighting (dawn/dusk)

I have a 7.62x39 AR with a Nikon 1-4x24 (illuminated reticle) for Oahu  Now I’m wondering if I should swap in my 2-7x32 (no illuminated reticle)

I still have to assemble a 6.5 grendel AR.   I had been thinking of using a spare Nikon 1-4x24 (illuminated) for Oahu and a Nikon 3-9x40 (no illumination) for deer on Maui, Molokai or Lanai

Have a Marlin 7mm-08 with a Nikon 3-9x40

Anyone using a 1-4x24, 1-6x24 or a 1-8x24 for Oahu?   Is it really that bad? 

Does having an illuminated reticle for a 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 make a major difference?  It would suck to fork out a lot of money to go outer islands and miss an opportunity because I cheaped out on a scope

If I get an illuminated scope, will likely be a vortex (Nvm….their higher end stuff are for tactical shooting)

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:56:35 AM by tim808 »

randay

Re: Hunting scope question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 09:46:01 AM »
I would go with a 3-9x40 instead of a 2-7x32. Illuminated reticle would be personal preference. An lvpo is definitely not ideal for hunting.

There is a hunting sub forum you should post this to, it will get more views from hunters.

Side note, if sb3196 passes then hunting with your AR will not be possible. In that case you might want to hold off on buying any optics until thats decided.

aletheuo137

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 11:11:53 AM »
Agreed, and keep magnification on the lowest setting for your field of view.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

tim808

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 08:13:54 PM »
Thanks Ramsay!  Thanks Al!

Dang!  I skimmed thru sb 3196

Sounds like I can only use a “neutered” ar to hunt on my own property or private property….sounds like I can’t use it in public hunting areas

Kind of makes me wonder if that is the reason why it seems like I notice more ar stuff being listed for sale

Tex

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 11:55:47 PM »
Yep, a bolt action might be in order for your next hunting rifle. Howa 1500s are/were available in your cartridges of choice. There are a bunch of chassis options for them now.

We don't know how they will interpret featureless ARs. These sorts of laws aren't written by people who know what they are talking about, so it gets very confusing.

I think the AR and AK stuff for sale is people reorganizing their collections. Sell off what you don't use to fund what you really want.

On topic:
You can try removing the optics from your rifles and look at dogs in the park with them at sunset and just after. You could also go for a hike into the woods (car parked outside of any gate) and play with the optics from 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after sunset.

The best way to know what you actually like and need is to use the product yourself.

You mentioned Vortex. They actually do have a high end hunting line (Razor LHT) as well as cheaper hunting lines. They are generally available as refurbished items at AAOptics. The tactical models sell out far faster.

For example:
https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-RAZOR-HD-LHT-3-15x50_p_823.html
https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-RAZOR-HD-LHT-3-15x42-HSR-5i-MOA-_p_843.html
https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-VIPER-HS-4-16X44-RIFLESCOPE-BDC_p_427.html

Remember to use decent rings and a torque wrench.

An offset red dot and a better optic on the Marlin 7mm-08 might make it suitable for both purposes unless you need semi-auto for pigs. Offset red dots have been gaining in popularity with the predator and Texas hog hunting crowd. You add 3-4 oz to the rifle and gain 1x capability while still having good zoom and glass.

Q

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 12:29:24 AM »
Sorry, I know there is a hunting section but don’t think it has much traffic

I am trying to talk myself into trying hunting again.  Read that a 2-7x32  or a 3-9x40 with an illuminated reticle should be adequate for under 200 yards.   I think when my dad or friends took us hunting on Lanai, all the shots taken were under 200.  I don’t think that I would take a shot over 200…

I also read that 1-4x24, 1-6x24 and 1-8x24 make poor hunting scopes because a 24mm objective lense is too small.  Will not be able to see in low lighting (dawn/dusk)

I have a 7.62x39 AR with a Nikon 1-4x24 (illuminated reticle) for Oahu  Now I’m wondering if I should swap in my 2-7x32 (no illuminated reticle)

I still have to assemble a 6.5 grendel AR.   I had been thinking of using a spare Nikon 1-4x24 (illuminated) for Oahu and a Nikon 3-9x40 (no illumination) for deer on Maui, Molokai or Lanai

Have a Marlin 7mm-08 with a Nikon 3-9x40

Anyone using a 1-4x24, 1-6x24 or a 1-8x24 for Oahu?   Is it really that bad? 

Does having an illuminated reticle for a 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 make a major difference?  It would suck to fork out a lot of money to go outer islands and miss an opportunity because I cheaped out on a scope

If I get an illuminated scope, will likely be a vortex (Nvm….their higher end stuff are for tactical shooting)

Thanks in advance!

Look at the primary arms line for the 7.62x39 round. I personally like the 2-3x, but other optics might better suit your needs if you're going for more distance.

If you are considering sticking with the 7.62x39 for a bolt gun, look into the Ruger American Ranch (if you can find one).

tim808

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 10:33:41 AM »
Tex
Thanks for the recommendations!  I had been looking thru the AA site before - I noticed the 3-9 scopes used uncapped turrets…. I probably would get something that had capped turrets.

I hadn’t looked at 4-12 or 4-16 scopes because I thought 4x was too high but your suggestion of using a red dot changes that!

If Hawaii outlaws semiauto rifles, I think I’ll put in an adjustable gas key and put the screw all the way in - to convert the 7.62x39 ar to a bolt action

I have an adjustable gas block for the grendel build, so I could turn off the gas to run it as a bolt action

But if I have to use bolt, I might as well use the 7mm-08 since it is the lightest

Q
Thanks for the advice!  I’ll take a look at Primary arms.  I can’t afford another rifle so I’ll likely just use the 7mm-08 since it probably is lighter than the bolt 7.62x39 ar or bolt grendel ar.

bojanglez

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 05:16:16 PM »
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-Huron-3-9x40-BDC-Hunter-Holds-1-in-Satin-Black-Riflescope-2700006.aspx

that is a great optoin for the type of hunting you are describing. much better than a primary arms

tim808

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 12:55:07 AM »
Thanks Bojanglez!  I have one 1.5-6 Pentax, two 3-9 scopes (Nikon), one 3-12 vortex diamondback and one 4-12 redfield revolution…but none have an illuminated reticle.

I’m saving up for a scope that has an illuminated reticle….probably a vortex with capped turrets

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 11:27:46 PM »
I put a fixed 6x scope on my two bolt action guns. Easily shoots tight groups at 100 yards, 200 would not be a problem.

One advantage of a fixed scope is that not only are they cheaper and simpler but they have fewer lenses which means better light transmission and image quality all things else equal.

tim808

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 08:14:38 PM »
Thanks Eye!   Good point about fewer lenses.   I didn’t realize that some scopes can have up to 15 lenses.  I’m assuming you have like a 42 objective  so the exit is 7mm and the human eye is about 7mm in the dark….so the picture is bright at 6x

I was reading about optics and a person’s pupil is like about 7mm in the dark (and 4-6mm for older people) so my 1-4x24 should be ok up to 4x since the exit pupil will be 6mm and my pupil is probably closer to 4-6mm since the night vision in my dominant eye is pretty poor.  (If I have to walk in the dark, I often close my dominant eye since my other eye sees better)

So if I had 3-9x42 and using it at 3x, the exit pupil would be 14mm but since my pupil is probably 4-6mm, the 3-9x42 at 3x with a 14mm exit wouldn’t appear to be brighter than a 1-4x24 set at 4x with a 6mm exit pupil….my 4-6mm pupil is the limiting factor

The 3-9x42 shines at higher magnification like 6-7x on longer shots.

The 1-4x24 should be okay for Oahu…for me.  A 1-8x24 or 1-10x24 would be ok up to about 3-4x in low light.  And full magnification could be used when the sun is up.

So depending on how near/far of a shot one is taking in low light, a lpvo might work for hunting.

A typical scope of 3-9x42 would definitely have the advantage of a brighter picture with higher magnification

https://imaging.nikon.com/sport-optics/guide/binoculars/basic/basic_05/#:~:text=The%20larger%20the%20diameter%20is,situations%20and%20for%20astronomical%20observation.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 08:37:18 PM by tim808 »

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:03:41 PM »
Thanks Eye!   Good point about fewer lenses.   I didn’t realize that some scopes can have up to 15 lenses.  I’m assuming you have like a 42 objective  so the exit is 7mm and the human eye is about 7mm in the dark….so the picture is bright at 6x

I was reading about optics and a person’s pupil is like about 7mm in the dark (and 4-6mm for older people) so my 1-4x24 should be ok up to 4x since the exit pupil will be 6mm and my pupil is probably closer to 4-6mm since the night vision in my dominant eye is pretty poor.  (If I have to walk in the dark, I often close my dominant eye since my other eye sees better)

So if I had 3-9x42 and using it at 3x, the exit pupil would be 14mm but since my pupil is probably 4-6mm, the 3-9x42 at 3x with a 14mm exit wouldn’t appear to be brighter than a 1-4x24 set at 4x with a 6mm exit pupil….my 4-6mm pupil is the limiting factor

The 3-9x42 shines at higher magnification like 6-7x on longer shots.

The 1-4x24 should be okay for Oahu…for me.  A 1-8x24 or 1-10x24 would be ok up to about 3-4x in low light.  And full magnification could be used when the sun is up.

So depending on how near/far of a shot one is taking in low light, a lpvo might work for hunting.

A typical scope of 3-9x42 would definitely have the advantage of a brighter picture with higher magnification

I have a fixed 6x Leupold on my .300 winmag but I don't recall the size. It was on the gun when I got it.
I have this scope on my .308 and am very happy with it.
https://swfa.com/swfa-6x42-ss-moa-quad-reticle-30mm-25-moa-clicks-rear-focus/

dv808

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 08:09:04 AM »
I have Leupold's on everything...hunting setups or not.  They're fine for the $ and have a great warranty.  I've heard problems about them returning to zero when dialing but I do hold-overs.  They're lightweight and offer a bunch of options at different zoom ranges and objectives.

Most of them are min 2-3x and max 9-10x but my Grendel and Creedmoor are max 15x and 18x respectively...just in case I want to stretch out a shot.  The 3-18x is my only illuminated one because wasn't available non-illuminated in the reticle I wanted.  I spend the $$$ in bino glass because more time is spent behind them in the field than behind the scope.  My current binos are combo ballistic  rangefinders so I don't have to carry multiple things around.  Most hunting shots are 150yds and closer but have taken some over 250.  Whatever you go with, just make sure they're dialed down so you can find things easier in the scope and then zoom in.

Sent from my XQ-BC62 using Tapatalk

Neesh

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 04:49:43 PM »
Check out OP. They have some nice scopes for a good price. Not sure about all but some are rebranded Vector Optics.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/viridian-green-lasers-riflescopes.html

tim808

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 01:01:07 PM »
Thanks DV.  Thanks Neesh.
What bono do you have?   I think I just have a cheap vortex 10x42

I guess my 1-4x24 will be adequate for Oahu for pigs.  I guess my other scopes will be ok for the outer isles

I’ve never heard of Vector.  I try to stick with vortex due to the price point and lifetime transferable warranty

Neesh

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 09:07:02 PM »
They're claim lifetime warranty as well but never tried but saw it mentioned numerous times on YT. I am trying the viridian 3-18x Mylex and seems not bad. I think BNR carries some Vector as I saw it on IG so maybe u can ask them. Some has German glass but not sure which ones

dv808

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 12:38:13 AM »
I started with a pair of Leupold 10x32's and now use Leica rangefinding binos with ballistics.  They're pretty pricey along with offerings from Zeiss and Swarovski but the glass is amazing.

Sent from my XQ-BC62 using Tapatalk

tim808

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 10:39:31 AM »
Dv
Nice!  I only have a cheap vortex bino and a cheap rangefinder

Neesh
I googled vector and it looks like they entered the US market about 2007.  I didn’t see any video reviews of it done by anyone on yt that I recognize.  A good portion of the reviews were by airgun people.  Heard they are okay…nothing outstanding…or hitting above its weight.  Vector seems to be in the same price range as vortex.  As of about 2022 they didn’t have any offices in the US so I assume have to ship stuff overseas if there are any issues.  I’ll keep a look out….as they get more reviews maybe I’ll get one if they ever start to outshine vortex’s price/reputation/warranty.  Tnx for the heads up!

Neesh

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 03:51:28 PM »
Dv
Nice!  I only have a cheap vortex bino and a cheap rangefinder

Neesh
I googled vector and it looks like they entered the US market about 2007.  I didn’t see any video reviews of it done by anyone on yt that I recognize.  A good portion of the reviews were by airgun people.  Heard they are okay…nothing outstanding…or hitting above its weight.  Vector seems to be in the same price range as vortex.  As of about 2022 they didn’t have any offices in the US so I assume have to ship stuff overseas if there are any issues.  I’ll keep a look out….as they get more reviews maybe I’ll get one if they ever start to outshine vortex’s price/reputation/warranty.  Tnx for the heads up!
:shaka:

bojanglez

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2024, 09:28:12 AM »
Thanks Bojanglez!  I have one 1.5-6 Pentax, two 3-9 scopes (Nikon), one 3-12 vortex diamondback and one 4-12 redfield revolution…but none have an illuminated reticle.

I’m saving up for a scope that has an illuminated reticle….probably a vortex with capped turrets

i wouldnt buy a vortex. the durability just isn't there for a hunting scope. same with leupold and a lot of other popular brands. they just aren't tough enough. your scope breaks your hunt is done. and either here or traveling to the mainland i dont want to have to worry about my hunt getting cut short bc of junk gear. trijicon credo and tenmile can be found for some steep discounts on eurooptic op or dvor. swfa fixed are also another budget friendly option that eagleeyefish mentioned and they are rock solid however the popular models are often backordered and not sure which have illumination. nightforce obviously but they are hard to find deals on and mavens new 1.2 has been drop tested but also 1k+ like the nightforces. those are the only brands i would use (i have 3 swfa and 3 trijicon tenmiles). theres a guy out there drop testing scopes on the rokslide forum and those are the only ones that perform. you'll see a lot of ppl get caught up in features like how the turrets click and glass quality but durability and reliability is what is really king.