Raise minimum wage, what could go wrong (Read 1244 times)

changemyoil66

Raise minimum wage, what could go wrong
« on: December 28, 2023, 12:11:36 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/12/26/pizza-hut-layoffs-california-minimum-wage/72033582007/?fbclid=IwAR33SQjOszzpZHZwgK7QlgHHAam2LcFNMC7D-6RrWqDERfXtSucTGhI8jPk

Pizza hut in CA laying off all delivery drivers due to the 30% min wage increase in Feb.

HI's min wage increasing from $12 to $14 come the new year.

ren

Re: Raise minimum wage, what could go wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
and we wonder why prices go up. People are dumb. We cant see 3 steps ahead just 1.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
IIRC by 2024 our min wage is going to be $18.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 01:06:38 PM »
Pizza Hut is also laying off drivers in HI now.

Last time i ordered from them about 2 weeks ago, Door Dash handled the delivery.

I kind of liked not getting stuck for a $4-$5 "delivery fee".  I tipped the Door Dash driver, but the delivery service was free for me.

I guess the drivers cost Pizza Hut a base amount for minimum wage, but Door Dash drivers only charge Pizza Hut for the time they are delivering.  Door Dash makes enough revenue delivering for all their customers, so each business doesn't have to hire their own drivers.

i actually like having no delivery fee added to my bill.  gives me more for tip money.   :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 09:46:56 AM »
IIRC by 2024 our min wage is going to be $18.

It is $14 an hour in 2024, rising to $18 in 2028.

ren

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 09:56:28 AM »
#immadoctor > economics
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 09:59:36 AM »
and we wonder why prices go up. People are dumb. We cant see 3 steps ahead just 1.

There's also the ongoing collapse of western civilization
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

AchieveUltra

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:41:34 AM »
Raising Minimum wage will get rid of entry level type of jobs. 
Since it raises the bottom line for businesses, depending on the industry they will cut costs somewhere.
Lead to more automation in certain sectors, as we've seen with self-checkouts and robot servers.
Now with the advent of artificial intelligence tools, many more administrative and technical jobs will go into decline.
A finance or admin department can shrink from 100 people to almost a tenth with people in the right skillset.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 10:56:08 AM »
Raising Minimum wage will get rid of entry level type of jobs. 
Since it raises the bottom line for businesses, depending on the industry they will cut costs somewhere.
Lead to more automation in certain sectors, as we've seen with self-checkouts and robot servers.
Now with the advent of artificial intelligence tools, many more administrative and technical jobs will go into decline.
A finance or admin department can shrink from 100 people to almost a tenth with people in the right skillset.
Actually, what will happen is people already working a job in the new minimum wage income range will opt to leave their current, and probably more demanding, jobs and take the entry level jobs that remain.  More experienced and educated workers will displace the previous entry level workers, meaning there will be more high school students & grads and even college students and grads unable to find employment.

Why work a high pressure job for $15-$18 per hour when you can flip burgers, scoop ice cream and stock shelves?  In fact, when you think about it, those with experience and skills will likely get promoted faster, be better situated to enter management level positions, and thereby make even more than had they remained where they were.

The obvious response to this will be changes in employee retention.  Jobs that are already in that range will need to increase salaries and/or provide better benefits packages in order to not lose their current employees.  While that seems nice on its face, that's where inflation usually becomes very bad. 

Prices are set by (1) the businesses' ability to compete in a given price range and still cover their costs and earn a profit, and (2) the customers' willingness AND ability to pay those prices. 

When the lowest wage earners get more money, and the employees those jobs might now attract get more money to stay, everyone is now able to pay higher prices.  So why not raise prices when everyone is piggy-backing on a higher minimum wage?

In the end, what you earn will buy the same products and services as before, because everyone needs more revenue to afford everyone else's higher prices.  It's literally how inflation works.  It's why printing more money dilutes it's buying power.  More money in pockets equals higher prices to keep up with costs.

What does change is you will have more taxes withheld from that larger paycheck every payday.

And around and around we go.
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 05:06:51 PM »
I noticed this in TImes Square NYC last week, lots of the fast food places were self-order kiosks.  Not sure if it was due to the minimum wage, or if it was due to the minimum space and high traffic.  The regular small business restaraunts still had people taking orders.

NYC minimum wage is $16hr

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »
This one had a Japanese robot server.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 05:22:27 PM »
A high minimum wage affects jobs where the work isn't worth the money.  Charities that help and hire the disabled for things like janitorial services will have a difficult time.  The employees underperform regular workers and the charity has to charge a lower price for services.  Another area may be immigrant farm workers who would gladly work for reduced wages.

For fast food workers, people will be complacent and make a career out of being a burger flipper instead of improving themselves for a better job.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 05:24:23 PM »
With the minimum wage going up and up and businesses battling that by utilizing robots, kiosks, and AI.........

This question emerges.

What are we going to do with the millions upon millions of idle yutes in America?

One possible solution:  bring back mandatory military conscription.  Take them all:  The fat ones, anorexic ones, purple and blue haired ones, confused gender ones, pierced body ones, all of them.

I figure by 2024 we will need all hands on deck.  Domestically and abroad.  Maybe even old farts like me gotta gear up.

If they don't want to serve they can go to Mexico or Canada or where-ever with Whoopee, Miley, Cher, and the rest of Hollywood's circus.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 08:42:28 PM »
This one had a Japanese robot server.

Another example of immigrant robots taking the low level jobs that American robots won't do.

:geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 09:42:22 PM »
CA morons upset cause mcdonalds, chipotle and others are raising their prices due to raising min wage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 01:00:34 AM »
Waiting for the dust to settle so we see what causes more businesses to leave CA:  government regulation or unchecked shoplifting.
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2024, 06:56:04 AM »
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/more-restaurants-struggle-to-remain-open-with-rising-costs/

One of the most difficult decisions for restauranteurs is deciding to call it quits. The Ruby Tuesday Hawaii CEO Rick Nakashima said goodbye to three of his locations.

He said it is difficult to find staff and they made adjustments to their operation, like removing breakfast hours for the majority of the week.

Nakashima said, “We don’t get many applications in, we keep up in pay and that isn’t the factor the workforce isn’t there.”

He said the rise in minimum wage is also chipping away at their revenue. The Hawaii Restaurant Association Executive Director Sheryl Matsuoka said lease renewals are also playing a factor.

“Many times you will see the lease come up at the end of the 10-year term, the restaurant has to do a lot of soul searching,” Matsuoka said. “And say, ‘What will my next 10 years look like? Are the employees coming back? Are costs going to start dropping?’.”

Restaurants with a smaller footprint and fewer overhead costs may be faring better in this economy.

The food trucks at Ohana Hale Marketplace in Waikiki went from three vendors to 16 quickly.

The Ohana Hale Marketplace CEO Christopher Ulu said, “It’s much cheaper than leasing a building, one great thing about it is everybody in Hawaii wants to eat.
  :rofl: CPT Obvious to the rescue!
Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 07:03:11 AM »
I'm sure the banana republik of hawaii will figure out a way to suck out their share of revenue as the popularity of options like food trucks and businesses with smaller overhead and footprint becomes more prevalent.

no can win wen dere is a banana republik.  dey are vampires.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

zippz

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 07:27:35 AM »
The food trucks at Ohana Hale Marketplace in Waikiki went from three vendors to 16 quickly.

The Ohana Hale Marketplace CEO Christopher Ulu said, “It’s much cheaper than leasing a building, one great thing about it is everybody in Hawaii wants to eat.”[/i]  :rofl: CPT Obvious to the rescue!

The food trucks can't get away with this!  Government will fix that.

Rocky

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 07:52:53 AM »
Charities that help and hire the disabled for things like janitorial services will have a difficult time.  The employees underperform regular workers and the charity has to charge a lower price for services. 
Gotta disagree on that comment.
I find most "disabled" employees in the public work force work very hard and take PRIDE in their job.
Not sure how the charities get underperformers
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt