The window seat (Read 1503 times)

oldfart

The window seat
« on: January 06, 2024, 08:38:12 AM »
Alaska Air Boeing 737 lost something...
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/01/06/alaska-airlines-plane-window-blows-out-mid-air-forcing-emergency-landing/
It reminds me of Aloha Air Flight 243 from 1988. Also a Boeing 737.
What, Me Worry?

zippz

Re: The window seat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 08:46:40 AM »
that's a little more than a window.

surprised there no brown stains on the seats.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:53:34 AM »

Objectively speaking, it's not wrong.

If the window blew out and took part of the fuselage with it, then the focus on the window failing as the cause is appropriate.

Headlines have to be brief.  Window blows out creating huge hole in fuselage isn't the best headline.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 08:59:58 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
surprised there no brown stains on the seats.
=============
have a nice flight back to Hawaii

Did you get the window seat?  :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 01:47:40 PM »
One article I read said a childs shirt was sucked off of him/her when the cabin lost pressure.  Visions of the old James Bond movie when Goldfinger (that fat ass) got sucked out of a small window.

Maybe that's why there are no brown stains on the seats. 

That got sucked out too......
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 05:41:10 PM »
One article I read said a childs shirt was sucked off of him/her when the cabin lost pressure.  Visions of the old James Bond movie when Goldfinger (that fat ass) got sucked out of a small window.

Maybe that's why there are no brown stains on the seats. 

That got sucked out too......
This also brings to mind UAL 811 back in 1989.
A year after Aloha 243.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 10:44:49 PM »
Interesting that nobody was sitting there
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 12:14:58 AM »
Interesting that nobody was sitting there
Interesting coincidence.
maybe not a coincidence?  :rofl:
I think maybe there were signs of something leaking and they relocated the passengers.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 12:28:41 AM »
Interesting coincidence.
maybe not a coincidence?  :rofl:
I think maybe there were signs of something leaking and they relocated the passengers.

Hello stewardess...are these cracks normal?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 01:04:30 AM »
"Oh don't worry about that sir. By the way, you just won a free upgrade to first class."
What, Me Worry?

zippz

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 04:22:49 AM »
"Oh don't worry about that sir. By the way, you just won a free upgrade to first class."

I want the balcony seat
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 07:05:27 AM »
Free 1st class airfare for life?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

AchieveUltra

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 09:51:51 AM »
That's pretty wild for the Boing 737s,  I wonder if Alaska Air technicians just glossed over the pre-flight checks or if the plane in question had any maintenance or deferred maintenance that wasn't addressed.

From my perspective, pinnacle incident events are usually, a combination of inefficient practices, behavior, lack of knowledge or experience and a whole slew of things.

For example, a company can put a fresh new tech to do maintenance, but a lot of things get missed because the new guy isn't sure of what defects to look for.

I wonder what the investigation details will be, when they give the public some kind of statement.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 10:17:01 AM »
They're gonna huddle behind closed doors first.......Then do the blood brothers bond thing.

astroboy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 12:09:23 PM »
From my window seat I noticed a hydraulic fluid leak near the engine on an inter island flight.
I discretely notified the flight crew and was surprised that they seemed to be not very concerned about it.
Oh well I thought, they are probably trained to react in that manner. People/passengers are easily panicked.

A city bus driver told me of an incident he had in down town Honolulu. He alerted the passengers on his
60ft. bus that he had been instructed to divert from his route due to a bomb alert at a location on the route.
After making a slow turn to divert from the route, one of the rear tires blew out. Many passengers began to
scream their lungs out. It took a while for him to calm everyone down by telling them it's just a flat tire folks.       

QUIETShooter

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 03:24:09 PM »
From my window seat I noticed a hydraulic fluid leak near the engine on an inter island flight.
I discretely notified the flight crew and was surprised that they seemed to be not very concerned about it.
Oh well I thought, they are probably trained to react in that manner. People/passengers are easily panicked.

A city bus driver told me of an incident he had in down town Honolulu. He alerted the passengers on his
60ft. bus that he had been instructed to divert from his route due to a bomb alert at a location on the route.
After making a slow turn to divert from the route, one of the rear tires blew out. Many passengers began to
scream their lungs out. It took a while for him to calm everyone down by telling them it's just a flat tire folks.     

Bet there were a lot of brown stains on those seats.  Screaming your lungs out will do that.  Garan Ball Barans.  :rofl:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 03:35:52 PM »

The flight crew has wall-to-wall instruments and warning indicators to make sure they know the status of critical flight systems.  Most critical systems also have redundancies built in.  if one hydraulic line is leaking, there's likely another tied to a backup pump separate from the leaky one.  If that one also fails, there are manual methods for lowering/locking landing gear, etc.

Sometimes what you think is one type of fluid leak turns out to be something else, like deicing fluid.

Unless the instruments are faulty, the crew will know if hydraulic pressure is too low.  It's worth mentioning to the fight attendant, but don't expect a reaction.  They'll forward your concern to the cockpit just so they are aware and can keep an eye out for indications of a problem.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 04:01:27 PM »
i was on a wing window seat one time when i was intermediate/high school age on an interisland flight and i smelled jet fuel
these were the days of walking out to the planes at the old interisland terminal, so i thought it was the normal smells
after a while it kept on getting worse
i look out on the wing, and the round area where the fuel filler went in was malfunctioning, and there was a fountain of fuel 6-8 inches high coming out
i let the flight crew know, and they shut everything down and told everyone to leave all their stuff and get off the plane ASAP
most people got their bags and quickly exited (was not a very full flight)
they had to tow the plane as far away as they could and the fire trucks came and sprayed foam...

ren

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 05:23:52 PM »
cool story bro...

i was on a wing window seat one time when i was intermediate/high school age on an interisland flight and i smelled jet fuel
these were the days of walking out to the planes at the old interisland terminal, so i thought it was the normal smells
after a while it kept on getting worse
i look out on the wing, and the round area where the fuel filler went in was malfunctioning, and there was a fountain of fuel 6-8 inches high coming out
i let the flight crew know, and they shut everything down and told everyone to leave all their stuff and get off the plane ASAP
most people got their bags and quickly exited (was not a very full flight)
they had to tow the plane as far away as they could and the fire trucks came and sprayed foam...
Deeds Not Words

macsak

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 05:45:57 PM »