My first ETSY Purchase (Read 458 times)

Flapp_Jackson

My first ETSY Purchase
« on: January 09, 2024, 10:55:36 PM »
I browsed etsy.com a couple of years ago.  Looked like a craft fair basically.  Nothing I was interested in, and the prices seemed a bit high -- though for handmade and/or limited production items, I guess a case could be made.

Anyway, my electric pencil sharpener that's been a reliable workhorse for a decade suddenly sounded like it was chewing up a Studebaker!

Took it apart, and the main gear -- a plastic sprocket about 3 inches in diameter -- was in two pieces.  I tried Super Glue, but then it broke in 3 different places when i tried using it.  The gear just wasn't going to get any better.

I looked for the Boston brand sharpeners and parts.  About the closest the manufacturer offers is replacement sharpening blades.

Then I stumbled upon an Etsy listing.  The seller apparently has the 3D specs for "printing" most major brand pencil sharpener main gears.  Luckily mine was one.

$7 plus tax and free shipping.  It arrived in less than a week.  Took me 3 minutes to install and test it.  Runs like new again!

The cost to replace the sharpener with a similar model would have run about $75.

I'm always happy when I can avoid trashing something that might still have life left in it even if it means buying parts. 

From now on, if I can't find a part for something, I'll be checking Etsy.  If i had my own 3D printer, I'm not sure how much this $7 gear would have cost me in time developing or finding a viable CAD file not to mention the wasted test runs before getting it dialed in.

Thought this might interest others. 

:thumbsup: :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

Re: My first ETSY Purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:53:46 AM »
I've ordered a few items from Etsy's and a couple holsters.
I've been very satisfied with their sellers. Good communication with them
I got a kydex holster for my Colt Cobra with a belt clip which is hard to find. Just for a quick on and off holster for home use. Also a leather holster for my LCR with belt clip for home use. Also fits my j frame 22mag. Was cheap and works well
Etsy's is a very good website 👍

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:52:58 AM »
I got a custom 3d printed cup holder for the mini truck 

Still haven't used it yet, but when I do I'll be stylin'  8)
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 06:30:21 AM »
I got a custom 3d printed cup holder for the mini truck 

Still haven't used it yet, but when I do I'll be stylin'  8)

Having an abundance of drink holders is a purely American luxury in autos.  Probably explains why you needed to "retrofit" your truck -- not designed for the US market?

You don't even have to use it to be stylin'.  Having drink holders for every possible passenger is a status symbol.  There are many who prohibit food and drink in their cars yet brag about all their drink holders!

:geekdanc: :thumbsup: :shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 08:48:50 AM »
We order party stuff from them as it's mainly smaller business that make the cute stuff.  Like invitations, center pieces, favors, etc...

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 08:57:15 AM »
had this 3D vinyl emblem sticker made by a seller on Etsy.  he's also on Ebay
it has lasted many years. was very affordable. fit perfectly on the faux gas cap

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 10:23:28 AM »
A few years ago I bought custom leather name key fobs for my coworkers.
It was very cool.

I also got a custom ball point pen for my friend made from the teakwood decking from the USS Missouri.
Also very cool.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:43 AM »
I sell some of my stuff on etsy. If you dig you can go way down the rabbit hole. From handmade stuff to antique stuff, finished items to supplies. Lots of 3d made items and 3d files. 

There have been some rubbish chinese stuff appear as well.