TSA /HA new regulation (Read 6030 times)

mrgaf

Re: TSA /HA new regulation
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
From my experience the only reason they would ask you for the key is something in the case either through the x-ray or swab triggered something. So because your a Hawaiian airlines passenger TSA is going to contact the carrier of the bag to get the key. If you Deny access to the key then the carrier has to deal with you and be responsible for the bag not TSA. Because if you choose not to give the key you will not fly without your bag. Usually when declaring a firearm an agent will take you to the oversize tsa checkpoint where you will open the case they will swab that should be that. Locks are locked declaration is in that its unloaded. I never use TSA locks because they would have access to it without you being there.
understand but in this case when the gun owner was asked  for the keys and stated that he wanted to be present when it was opened. He was told he could not. Maybe I’m missing something....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
I will send an email, and we should all to HA telling them that their current way of doing things are not safe.  It opens them up to liability because we are not the only ones in control of the keys.

There are others on the mainland who are taken to a private room and open the case themselves in the presents of TSA/LE.  Then a LE handles the firearm.  Never TSA or airline employee handle the gun.

I always separate my slide from frame and run a cable thru the frame when I travel with my pistol.

mauiboi9

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
understand but in this case when the gun owner was asked  for the keys and stated that he wanted to be present when it was opened. He was told he could not. Maybe I’m missing something....
[/quote

Idk about other stations, I'm assuming they are similar. But once you bag is tagged and put on the belt to be sorted to the different airline carrier. Im not sure if some or all bags get sent to a secondary screening. This is probably where the red flag was drawn and they wanted to inspect inside the case. Due to clearance I'm pretty sure no one would be allowed in there. Idk if they could bring the bag out open it, take it back in to be screened and brought back out again. I also wonder if you were in the sterile area already and went through TSA check point already.
Im a recoil junkie

Ripper3785

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
Idk if they could bring the bag out open it, take it back in to be screened and brought back out again. I also wonder if you were in the sterile area already and went through TSA check point already.

It is quite common for them to bring the bag back out to the non secure area and have the owner unlock for TSA to unlock in their presence.  w/r/t through checkpoints-Some stations ask folks to wait 10 min (In LAS, near an American Flag) in the event TSA wants to have you open your bag for them. Some folks have been paged once they're through security and have to go back out for the process. This was a good way for there to be SOME accountability.  Now it seems TSA is reaching for their own convenience, and can do whatever they want with your firearm out of your sight.

This despite the conflict with CFR1540.111c which states '(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.'.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:02:19 PM by Ripper3785 »

Gordyf

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Don't think I will be travelling with firearms.
Too many moving parts, too much exposure.
Aloha
Aloha
Gordy

Shoboshi

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »
My last trip to Lanai in April i flew HAwaiian Airlines. Same as usual from HNL to LNY. They check my Pelican case, throw in the firearms card, hang out for 10-15 min and if nobody comes out then Im golden.

Now When I flewback from Lanai on HA, the HA agent tells me something new Ive never heard of. She asked if I had ammo and I said yes. I told her its in the cooler, seperate from my gun case which is okay. So I asked her about the rules if I can I put my ammo in the same case as my rifle? She said yes, but it has to have the foam cut out to place the ammo box in its own spot.

Im ok with following rules for everyones safety, but I hate how its different every trip. Nobody knows the rules or just make up their own.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
My last trip to Lanai in April i flew HAwaiian Airlines. Same as usual from HNL to LNY. They check my Pelican case, throw in the firearms card, hang out for 10-15 min and if nobody comes out then Im golden.

Now When I flewback from Lanai on HA, the HA agent tells me something new Ive never heard of. She asked if I had ammo and I said yes. I told her its in the cooler, seperate from my gun case which is okay. So I asked her about the rules if I can I put my ammo in the same case as my rifle? She said yes, but it has to have the foam cut out to place the ammo box in its own spot.

Im ok with following rules for everyones safety, but I hate how its different every trip. Nobody knows the rules or just make up their own.

Like I said in this thread earlier....

On a side note, I think how they want ammo in "original boxes" is absolutely retarded.