Ammo Shortage on the Mainland? (Read 13813 times)

6716J

Re: Ammo Shortage on the Mainland?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
was at LGS yesterday, 556 sold out.  44mag, 357 still had plenty.
revolvers win again!    :geekdanc:

Roughly what are .38 and .357 going for? Haven't bought any in LOOOOOONG time but guess it's time to dust off the airweight
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 08:12:17 AM »
Eleven pounds is only 2.5 bricks or 1250 rounds. Not much. But I have already sold all my .22 because I am moving my and suitcases are going to be heavy to begin with. Also, it bugs the fuck out of me that the feds feel the need to check my luggage to make sure I’m not carrying 11 pounds 1 ounce of ammo so they can confiscate it. I just ordered over 5,000 rounds to be delivered to my new house. I have 3300 rounds of SV and 2500 rounds of HV coming. Flat shipping on the mainland is between $14-$20.

I probably won’t be able to get SD ammo when I arrive so I’ll need to make my own until things die down. But at least I can and I know how.
I hear ya.  Not recommending chancing it, but I've never had the agent check my ammo quantity or weight. 

I have some buddies in AZ.  If you're in really dire need, hit me up and will see if they can assist.  A couple are buddies from elementary school days. 

crazy cat

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
Yesterday, Stuebs (in Hilo) was out of everything but birdshot and a few forlorn cases of .45ACP.

stangzilla

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »
Roughly what are .38 and .357 going for? Haven't bought any in LOOOOOONG time but guess it's time to dust off the airweight

I didn't look at the price yesterday, so not sure if it went up recently
but before recently was 15-25 sale price for 38 and 357

Rocky

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
 :rofl:       
You want Macsak Heads? :P

11 lbs of .22 lr is quite a bit, no?  Mostly kidding, but some serious. . .
That's 1,466.6 rnds Rem Golden 36 gr PHP (0.75 lbs per 100)  :geekdanc:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:44:51 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Lihikai

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »
Seems like people are buying up reloading supplies too.  Many popular components are sold out.

macsak

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
Seems like people are buying up reloading supplies too.  Many popular components are sold out.

heads

KaleoArms

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
Starting to see 223 and 22LR come back in stock, but the cases are much higher now. For example, 223 Wolf Gold is about $120 a case increase and Federal AE 22LR is about $40 increase. With these increases, we’re unsure if the cases would still be “reasonably” priced in Hawaii to bring in at this time. The Wolf Gold would be about 42-43cpr range and the 22lr would be in the $27 a brick range. We’re leaning towards no on the 223 wolf gold, but wanted to put it out here to get a better idea (ie: would you still buy at that price if the alternative is nothing else available). It’s a really unfortunate increase but supply/demand we suppose.
http://www.kaleoarms.com/hawaii-ammunition
Ammunition to Hawaii
Reloading brass

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:01 AM »
Starting to see 223 and 22LR come back in stock, but the cases are much higher now. For example, 223 Wolf Gold is about $120 a case increase and Federal AE 22LR is about $40 increase. With these increases, we’re unsure if the cases would still be “reasonably” priced in Hawaii to bring in at this time. The Wolf Gold would be about 42-43cpr range and the 22lr would be in the $27 a brick range. We’re leaning towards no on the 223 wolf gold, but wanted to put it out here to get a better idea (ie: would you still buy at that price if the alternative is nothing else available). It’s a really unfortunate increase but supply/demand we suppose.
Good to see stock coming back in.

I would bet that people would be willing to pay premium if you’d be able to procure.

I don’t think I’d pay a premium now in Wolf Gold. But that desire would probably change if the local stock doesn’t return.

Thank you for what you do for us!  :thumbsup:

RSN172

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:13 AM »
In the previous 22LR shortage wasn't bricks selling for about $35?

stangzilla

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »

thank you for bringing in ammo for the 2A community!  :shaka:

I would rather buy the Federal AE, than the wolf gold with those increases. I can see people buying 22LR at that price, not too bad.
I hope it gets better soon

Phazuka

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
Do you have an ETA on the incoming pallet and what is the payment process?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
thank you for bringing in ammo for the 2A community!  :shaka:

I would rather buy the Federal AE, than the wolf gold with those increases. I can see people buying 22LR at that price, not too bad.
I picked up a case of Wolf Gold a few months back when a local vendor had it in their order by mistake, so I picked it up for a good price.  Haven't shot any of it yet, but I've heard that it is decent.  My expectation is ammo that functions well, not low-moa.  At least not for Wolf.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
I picked up a case of Wolf Gold a few months back when a local vendor had it in their order by mistake, so I picked it up for a good price.  Haven't shot any of it yet, but I've heard that it is decent.  My expectation is ammo that functions well, not low-moa.  At least not for Wolf.   ;D

I've shot both gold and steel.  Both worked fine.  The only I had with the steel was that it's super dirty.  Shooting 30rds steel is like shooting 500rds brass in level of dirtyness.  I'm also the kind of guy who cleans his rifle after every range day.  So having to use extra elbow grease sucked.  I don't mind paying more for brass now.

I wold be cautious of Tula steel.  I haven't shot it, but there are enough reviews online of the primer end being ripped off by the extractor and the rest of the steel being stuck in the chamber end. 

drck1000

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
I've shot both gold and steel.  Both worked fine.  The only I had with the steel was that it's super dirty.  Shooting 30rds steel is like shooting 500rds brass in level of dirtyness.  I'm also the kind of guy who cleans his rifle after every range day.  So having to use extra elbow grease sucked.  I don't mind paying more for brass now.

I wold be cautious of Tula steel.  I haven't shot it, but there are enough reviews online of the primer end being ripped off by the extractor and the rest of the steel being stuck in the chamber end.
I've shot quite a bit of Wolf steel.  Some issues with shooting with mid-length guns that are on the under-gassed side, but no problems with carbine length guns.  Same for Tula.  Read similar feedback on the Tula, but my personal experience is that as long as you clean your chamber before going back to brass and that you have a gun that isn't on the under-gassed side.  I generally avoid Tula these days, but I would if it was cheap and I was running low on brass. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:09 AM »
and I was running low on brass.

What is this phrase that you speak of?  I do not know the term. :rofl:

WTF?Shane

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »

Wolf Gold is good to go!

drck1000

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
Wolf Gold is good to go!
You want?  Trade for TP?   ;)  :P

:rofl:

KaleoArms

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2020, 11:16:53 PM »
Do you have an ETA on the incoming pallet and what is the payment process?

That pallet shipped in 2 parts.  A couple of the cases got caught in the panic buy fulfillment delay so we decided to just sail the first half that came in rather than hold the entire pallet for those last parcels.  The first part of the pallet should have docked yesterday (we hope) and the invoices for the ammo on that part will hopefully go out tomorrow and Friday so UPS can pick up on Monday.  The parcels we're waiting for are supposed to ship by Friday so that second part would be docking the week after (April 8 week).  UPS on the mainland have been slammed the last two weeks, but their network is still moving parcels pretty well under the circumstances.

That's how we feel too about the price increases.  The $30 on the 22LR was "ok" but the $120 for Wolf Gold... yeah, no.  We've seen a limited amount of Federal 223 also come back in briefly (really really briefly) and its looking like the American brands aren't having such a huge price spike; still an increase but not as much.  About 1/2 as much of an increase.  At any rate, hope things improve on the inventory side so prices can normalize a bit.

Hope you all are doing well.  Didn't expect 2020 to be quite like this...

TooFewPews

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »
I've shot quite a bit of Wolf steel.  Some issues with shooting with mid-length guns that are on the under-gassed side, but no problems with carbine length guns.  Same for Tula.  Read similar feedback on the Tula, but my personal experience is that as long as you clean your chamber before going back to brass and that you have a gun that isn't on the under-gassed side.  I generally avoid Tula these days, but I would if it was cheap and I was running low on brass.

I haven't had any issues with the steel cased ammo.

I didn't test the wolf ammo yet, but these are the velocity numbers i got from a 14.5" Faxon gunner match series barrel, 223 Wylde, shooting Red Army Standard:

Average:  2,946.2 fps
Standard Deviation:  19.9 fps

Here is the same ammo, same day, out of a 16" Faxon pencil (non match series) barrel, 5.56 NATO chamber:

Average:  3,028.5 fps
Standard Deviation:  24.1 fps

The 16" barreled upper has had at least 6,000 rounds through it at the time of testing.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference at all.

I was using a Caldwell chronograph set up at 10 feet from muzzle at Koko Head.  As you can see, the RAS isn't really "under powered" as much as a lot of people claim.  Velocity numbers are still decently close to m193 out of a 16" barrel