Target shooting on Publinc Hunting Land? (Read 339 times)

dftackle

Target shooting on Publinc Hunting Land?
« on: May 01, 2024, 04:49:14 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,

A coworker mentioned to me that once I receive my hunting license I would be able to go venture out onto public hunting land and "go hunting", basically saying that I'm able to go hike up a hill and SAFELY practice on some trees. Is this a thing? If it is, is it legal? I'd be bringing a M1A and my USP45 with me, along with hiking/hunting gear. This might be a goofy question but I wanna make sure to consult the pro's beforehand. 

randay

Re: Target shooting on Publinc Hunting Land?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 07:37:22 AM »
You are not "allowed" to shoot trees for sure. I also would not recommend it because you will damage the tree and leave clear signs of your activities.

You are allowed to zero your gun. You are only allowed to carry one firearm while hunting. A USP45(and many other pistols) is not legal for hunting. Target ammo is not legal to carry while hunting.

Westside_Redneck

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 04:10:45 PM »
You are not "allowed" to shoot trees for sure. I also would not recommend it because you will damage the tree and leave clear signs of your activities.

You are allowed to zero your gun. You are only allowed to carry one firearm while hunting. A USP45(and many other pistols) is not legal for hunting. Target ammo is not legal to carry while hunting.

I just got my hunting certification done as well, according the the education course pistols are legal to hunt with in Hawaii. I would like to know which specific pistols and what calibers would be considered legal for hawaii's hunting law standards.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 05:29:11 PM »
I just got my hunting certification done as well, according the the education course pistols are legal to hunt with in Hawaii. I would like to know which specific pistols and what calibers would be considered legal for hawaii's hunting law standards.

Depends on where and what you are hunting as well as whether you are participating in a special hunting period like taking axis deer.

You should check the various publications for the game you are interested in:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/rules/

For example:

Other areas may limit methods to archery and knives only. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

randay

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 06:18:11 PM »

Everything you need to know is here: https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/

click on the picture for game mammal hunting, then click on the link for “Title 13, Chapter 123, Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting, Hawai‘i Administrative Rules” to see the rules regarding what pistols are legal and when.

if you want my opinon on whats legal, i wouuld say a 10mm with a 6" barrel, a 44 mag revolver, or a 357 with a long barrel. if you are huntinng with dogs, you can use 22, thats a real stretch tho if you makin anykind. of course only matters if you get caught. there was that shooting/murder by "hunters" recently, so its not a good time to be making anykind.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 06:58:21 PM »
I sold a few rounds of 10mm to a hunter last year. So he sent me some pics of pigs that he took with the 10mm.
What, Me Worry?