Lead in blood test (Read 2285 times)

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Lead in blood test
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
Has anyone ever gotten a blood test to check your lead level. If so what was it and how frequently are you in contact and how are you exposed to it?

zippz

Re: Lead in blood test
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
Thanks zipps... Ps Tom g lead level was super high back them btw. Lol

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
#focus

macsak

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
#dirtyrooster

macsak

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »

6716J

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
You

Had a ZPP test about 2 years ago. Concentra off of Nimitz did it for work as we had high concentrations of surface lead. No airborne though. So our thing is, don't lick the walls or floor.

results
Blood Lead level <2 ug/dl
ZPP Level 39 ug/dl

From OSHA https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2009-12-04

December 4, 2009

Commander David L. McMillan, MD, MPH
Occupational and Environmental Medicine Programs and Policy
U.S. Department of the Navy
Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
2300 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20372

Dear Dr. McMillan:

Thank you for your letter, July 20, 2009, to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA's) Office of Occupational Medicine, within the Directorate of Science, Technology and Emergency Management. Your letter has been referred to the Directorate of Enforcement Program's Office of Health Enforcement for an answer to your specific questions regarding medical exams and blood testing for zinc protoporphyrin (ZPP) under OSHA's Lead Standards. This reply letter constitutes OSHA's interpretation only of the requirements discussed and may not be applicable to any question not detailed within your original correspondence. Your paraphrased question and our reply are below.

Question: Your request on behalf of the U.S. Navy referred to recently published medical studies supporting the discontinuation of ZPP use in the surveillance of workers without lead overexposure and low blood lead levels. You asked, "Could OSHA provide an exemption letter from the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.1025, such that the ZPP is no longer required for medical surveillance of employees with a low prevalence of elevated blood lead levels?"

Reply: No. As you are aware, OSHA's Lead Standard requires medical surveillance, including ZPP sampling and analysis, of workers who are or may be exposed above the action level for more than 30 days per year, as per 29 CFR 1910.1025(j)(1)(i). Employers are required under 29 CFR 1910.1025(d) to conduct exposure assessments to determine whether employees are so exposed. With respect to the workers described in your letter as "clearly" not overexposed to lead, a new exposure assessment may help determine whether these workers are or may be exposed above the action level for more than 30 days. If exposure monitoring demonstrates that employees are not so exposed and you are determining blood lead levels to ascertain whether there is an effect from lower lead exposures, you would not need to obtain ZPP levels on these workers. If monitoring demonstrates that they are so exposed, however, this would trigger the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.1025(j)(1)(i).

As you also know, ZPP and blood lead concentrations are widely-used biomarkers for lead toxicity. ZPP levels greater that 35 micrograms per deciliter (µg/dL) indicate lead-induced heme inhibition and serve as a means of determining the internal toxic effect of lead absorption. The lag in ZPP elevation and decline compared to blood lead levels makes ZPP measurements useful for distinguishing between acute and chronic lead intoxication and may help to determine whether a mid-range blood lead level is likely to reflect prior higher-level exposure. At the blood lead levels currently permitted under the OSHA Lead standard, the ZPP test is a useful adjunct.

Thank you for your interest in occupational safety and health. We hope you find this information helpful. OSHA requirements are set by statute, standards, and regulations. Our interpretation letters explain these requirements and how they apply to particular circumstances, but they cannot create additional employer obligations. Note that our enforcement guidance may be affected by changes to OSHA rules. Also, from time to time we update our guidance in response to new information. To keep apprised of such developments, you can consult OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Health Enforcement at (202) 693-2190.

Sincerely,

Richard E. Fairfax, Director
Directorate of Enforcement Programs
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
Thanks zipps... Ps Tom g lead level was super high back them btw. Lol
Poor still design no doubt.   :shake: :crazy: :sleeping:
 :wave:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
I don’t wish lead poisoning on anyone. I had a brother that got massive lead poisoning. He was casting figurines for Dungeons and Dragons games and not following safety procedures. He got very bad congestive heart failure. Still managed to live for 8 years but he could not travel to CA to visit his family by driving or air. His life was quite restricted after this. He has to stop shooting. Like a lot if us, shooting was his life. So if you have been exposed to lead, please do whatever it takes to take care of yourself.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!