CCW National Reciprocity Bill on the Move in the House (Read 28982 times)

Flapp_Jackson

CCW National Reciprocity Bill on the Move in the House
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 29, 2017

Hudson’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill Passes

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Representative Richard Hudson (NC-08) released the following statement after his bipartisan bill,
the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 (H.R. 38), passed the House Judiciary Committee:

“My bill is a simple, common sense solution to the confusing hodgepodge of concealed carry reciprocity agreements between states.
It will affirm that law-abiding citizens who are qualified to carry concealed in one state can also carry in other states that allow
residents to do so. I am pleased to see such strong support in committee, and I look forward to continuing this momentum and
bringing the bill to the House floor as soon as possible.”

Today, H.R. 38 was reported favorably to the House by the House Judiciary Committee. This bill is one of the most important
pro-Second Amendment measures in Congress, with some supporters saying it would be one of the greatest legislative advancements
of our Second Amendment rights in history.

https://hudson.house.gov/press-releases/hudsons-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill-passes/

https://hudson.house.gov/uploads/Concealed%20Carry%20Reciprocity%20Act%20of%202017%20One%20Pager.pdf
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

Re: CCW National Reciprocity Bill on the Move in the House
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
If I counted right, there are 212 co-sponsors of the bill, of which 3 are Democrats.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38/cosponsors?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22concealed+carry+reciprocity+act%22%5D%7D

The verbiage sounds like any permit is acceptable, whether it's issued from ones home state or not.

Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in subsection (b))
and subject only to the requirements of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing,
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph
of the person, and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which
permits the person to carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the
person resides, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has
been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State that
-- Melvin Udall

Hanabata

Newsletter from GOA: HR:38 Concealed Carry Reciprocity Sent to House Floor!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
Just got my GOA newsletter and there was positive news regarding HR 38.
I'll just paste the details below:

==Concealed Carry Reciprocity Passes out of House Committee==

There was great news coming out of the House Judiciary Committee today!
By a 19-11 vote, the Constitutional Carry-friendly reciprocity legislation was voted out of the House committee and is now on its way to passage by the full House. 
This is H.R. 38, which was authored by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC). The legislation would allow anyone with a permit, and anyone from a Constitutional Carry state, to carry in any state in the country -- thereby countering the fascist laws of anti-gun states. 
In particular, it would allow residents of repressive states to get non-resident permits and thereby circumvent local anti-gun officials. 

The term "handgun" would be defined to include "any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into a handgun or its magazine." 
This would circumvent efforts by states like Massachusetts and California to effectively ban guns by banning and/or registering magazines and ammo.

stangzilla

Just got my GOA newsletter and there was positive news regarding HR 38.
I'll just paste the details below:

==Concealed Carry Reciprocity Passes out of House Committee==

The term "handgun" would be defined to include "any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into a handgun or its magazine." 
This would circumvent efforts by states like Massachusetts and California to effectively ban guns by banning and/or registering magazines and ammo.

what, no love for the revolver?

great news!!!   :geekdanc:

Flapp_Jackson

-- Melvin Udall

Hanabata

Will be great if this progresses all the way to the end.  MAC did a great livestream about HR38 on youtube a couple days ago. Will be great news for 2A if this comes to pass.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:38:54 AM by Hanabata »

MEENGIRL

HR38 goes to floor!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
Although HR38 will somehow not Beinfit Hawaii residents of this swamp isn't drained. WDYT?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: HR38 goes to floor!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Although HR38 will somehow not Beinfit Hawaii residents of this swamp isn't drained. WDYT?

There are 2 other threads on this topic.

I posted how the current wording allows for carry if you have a permit in "a state", which implies home or non-resident state.

HI refusing to issue permits will become futile.
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »
There is one summary for H.R.38. Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Introduced in House (01/03/2017)

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38

How you figure any non-resident state?
Eligible in state of residence might be the loophole.
Are we eligible even without a ridiculous pressing need that the Chief agrees with and approves?
What do you think AG Chin will say?
Is there a new version?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:16:14 PM by aieahound »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
There is one summary for H.R.38. Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Introduced in House (01/03/2017)

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38

How you figure any non-resident state?
Eligible in state of residence might be the loophole.
Are we eligible even without a ridiculous pressing need that the Chief agrees with and approves?
What do you think AG Chin will say?
Is there a new version?

No, the "eligible to carry in state of residence" is for permit-less/Constitutional Carry states.  If you live in Maine, for instance, you would not need a CCW permit.  Reciprocity would be automatic based on state issued drivers license or other proof of residence.

I didn't look at the amendments.  The original wording as specific to carrying "a permit from A STATE, OR be eligible to carry in state of residence."  If the amendment passes, then we're going to have to fight HI for "shall issue", especially if the other states stop issuing non-resident permits.  With reciprocity, it would make sense they would, otherwise the state with the longest permit validity period, lowest cost and/or least strict requirements will be the one everyone would carry.
-- Melvin Udall

Direjackalope

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:48 PM »
Even though this doesn’t benefit us directly I suspect it will play a significant roll in the dominoes falling. How long would our most xenophobic residents  tolerate visitors carrying before they demanded the right for themselves? 

Would we tolerate baby faced 21 year old military members who maintain out of state resistance to carry but not demand that for ourselves?

What amount of traffic at HPD in visitor pistol registration would push the issue?

Gun control is already hobbled by lack of resources, disdain, and civil liberties and the CCW experiment never resulted in the predicted blood in the streets.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:58:45 PM by Direjackalope »

2ahavvaii

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:03 AM »
No, the "eligible to carry in state of residence" is for permit-less/Constitutional Carry states.  If you live in Maine, for instance, you would not need a CCW permit.  Reciprocity would be automatic based on state issued drivers license or other proof of residence.

I didn't look at the amendments.  The original wording as specific to carrying "a permit from A STATE, OR be eligible to carry in state of residence."  If the amendment passes, then we're going to have to fight HI for "shall issue", especially if the other states stop issuing non-resident permits.  With reciprocity, it would make sense they would, otherwise the state with the longest permit validity period, lowest cost and/or least strict requirements will be the one everyone would carry.

the bill is still fluid and can change anywhere along the way.  But that is incorrect, as the bill currently stands with amendments.  The "state of residence thing" is a point of contention in the bill throughout this year.     I didn't read the bill itself, but the bill was changed to allow out of state permits for in state residents.  In other words, as it currently stands, you can get a concealed carry license in NV, and bring it back to HI and it will be good here.  This would bypass the "may issue" bullshit we currently deal with.

The original wording from aieahound's post was changed to what the sponsor intended.  Which includes reciprocity for non-resident permits, because they know some states (like hawaii) are being bitches when it comes to issuing permits for their own residents.  That's the meaning of reciprocity, you can ACQUIRE a permit in ANY state, and it is good in ANY state.  That tidbit and the "permitless" thing is what is having liberals screaming.  But the "permitless" thing is a sham, because while an alaska resident can carry in alaska without permit, to carry in permit states, they will need a permit to carry in those states.  So they're only eligible to carry in permitless states without a permit (from any of the 50 states).

Out of 435 seats, this bill has 213 cosponsors.  It is highly likely to pass the house, probably along party lines.  It will have a tougher time in the  senate, also along party lines.  And trump should sign.

---------------
The current House Bill would allow travelers to cross state lines with valid conceal carry permits, even if it meant traveling from a state with lax standards to one with strict standards. It would also allow individuals who reside in “permitless carry” states to carry a firearm throughout the country with no permit at  (I believe this is false) all and it would require states to allow their own residents to carry guns with “non-resident permits” that they obtained from another state.

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., announced on Tuesday that the Senate version of the bill now has enough Republican co-sponsors to overcome a filibuster.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:57:58 AM by 2ahavvaii »

RSN172

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 06:56:42 AM »
I just hope I can CC in Hawaii before I die or get too old to care.   I am already collecting SSA payments so I don't have a huge amount of time.

suka

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Even though this doesn’t benefit us directly I suspect it will play a significant roll in the dominoes falling. How long would our most xenophobic residents  tolerate visitors carrying before they demanded the right for themselves? 

Would we tolerate baby faced 21 year old military members who maintain out of state resistance to carry but not demand that for ourselves?

What amount of traffic at HPD in visitor pistol registration would push the issue?

Gun control is already hobbled by lack of resources, disdain, and civil liberties and the CCW experiment never resulted in the predicted blood in the streets.

You know that all firearms arriving in the State would need to be registered. Just as much as car arriving from the mainland needs to be registered and have a permit to drive on the road.
Visitors wishing to carry on the islands would be required to register their firearms at HPD.

Direjackalope

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
@Suka. Of course. Within 5 days but that excludes many visitors. Unless I’m misunderstanding.

RSN172

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
There is a Senate bill on CCW reciprocity that is advancing and I read on Flipboard this morning that it has enough votes to overcome a filibuster.

suka

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »
Average length of stay for visitor in hawaii are 9-10 days.
 from the tourism dept hawaii.gov

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »

You know that all firearms arriving in the State would need to be registered. Just as much as car arriving from the mainland needs to be registered and have a permit to drive on the road.
Visitors wishing to carry on the islands would be required to register their firearms at HPD.

True, but to me the main intent of the bill is for those states that deny CCW permits all the time.  Maybe if this passes, next would be a bill so visitors don't have to register a gun when traveling.  Like driving through NY or a layover at a NY airport.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
True, but to me the main intent of the bill is for those states that deny CCW permits all the time.  Maybe if this passes, next would be a bill so visitors don't have to register a gun when traveling.  Like driving through NY or a layover at a NY airport.

Since the original visitor registration law only expected to see a small percentage of visitors bringing guns with them, I think with CCW reciprocity, that will number will be multiples higher.  Will it be high enough to cause long waits and too much wasted time for people to bring firearms on vacation?  If so, then it's served it's purpose.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
Since the original visitor registration law only expected to see a small percentage of visitors bringing guns with them, I think with CCW reciprocity, that will number will be multiples higher.  Will it be high enough to cause long waits and too much wasted time for people to bring firearms on vacation?  If so, then it's served it's purpose.

But also very unenforceable unless used.

I know I asked and was answered in another post, but I can't find it.

What's the process of the bill becoming law?