Hodgdon powder supply (Read 8409 times)

ren

Hodgdon powder supply
« on: January 12, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »
From FB via NM posting

Hodgdon Powder Supply Update:
We just returned from the Big Rock Shooting Sports show held last week in Nashville, where we had a chance to sit down with the folks from Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.)
During 2019 the industry experienced shortages of some of Hodgdon's most popular powders, including Retumbo and H1000, and by the end of the year, Varget.  These powders, as well as H4350, are shipped in barrels from Australia.

We asked Hodgdon why these shortages occurred, and what we should expect in 2020 ??

Going back to 2017 and early 2018 Hodgdon, and the whole industry were experiencing unusually poor demand.  They made substantial government sales in 2017-2018 to soak up what they believed was excess supply at that time.

By late 2018 and 2019 demand was picking up again, especially for big case magnum powders.  Unfortunately during this same period Hodgdon began experiencing supply problems from Australia.  These problems are logistical and not related to production.  Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself.   Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues.

Hodgdon believes they are now ahead of the problems and will have more success shipping the Australian powders in 2020.  Some is on the way now, which should make it into distribution by April.  Varget, H1000 and H4350 should be back in distribution by April, Retumbo should be available sometime April to June.
Thanks for your interest!
January 12, 2020
Three Forks Ammo & Reloading
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Hodgdon powder supply
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
Good to know
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:54:53 AM »
I was wondering if the fires in Australia were going to effect the supply from Hodgdon as they get a lot of their powders from there.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:02 PM »
I was wondering if the fires in Australia were going to effect the supply from Hodgdon as they get a lot of their powders from there.
Australian powders are impervious to fires.  8)

Seriously, I've heard that Varget is hard to come by.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:09:58 AM »
Australian powders are impervious to fires.  8)

Seriously, I've heard that Varget is hard to come by.
And Varget is made in Australia.

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 06:02:39 PM »
I have a new source for some reloading supplies on the Internet. He is located in Washington state. He only sells brass and bullets. He has been saying that his distributors are saying the big shortage is going to become a reality around October. This applies to everything. Not just brass and bullets. I am already seeing primers getting tough to find online. Same for certain Hodgdon powders. Varget, H4895, Retumbo, H1000, H335 IMR4895, etc. He said that he is having trouble getting his orders of Xtreme Bullets already. He only got half his last order and the rest is backordered.

I hope it doesn’t get as bad as 2008.

dogman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:07 PM »
I have a new source for some reloading supplies on the Internet. He is located in Washington state. He only sells brass and bullets. He has been saying that his distributors are saying the big shortage is going to become a reality around October. This applies to everything. Not just brass and bullets. I am already seeing primers getting tough to find online. Same for certain Hodgdon powders. Varget, H4895, Retumbo, H1000, H335 IMR4895, etc. He said that he is having trouble getting his orders of Xtreme Bullets already. He only got half his last order and the rest is backordered.

I hope it doesn’t get as bad as 2008.
Hey Dave :shaka:

After I read your post I figured I better order a case of 9mm 115 or 124/125 grain bullets . . . SNS Castings no stock . . . Montana Gold no stock . . . Berries no stock . . .  :(

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:05:14 AM »
Hey Dave :shaka:

After I read your post I figured I better order a case of 9mm 115 or 124/125 grain bullets . . . SNS Castings no stock . . . Montana Gold no stock . . . Berries no stock . . .  :(
Aloha Eric,

I did the same. Went around to all the same places you did. Montana Gold is my go to bullet. They only had 100 round packs at an outrageous price. I tried Xtreme, Brunos, and Powder Valley. Powder Valley still has a few Sierra and Hornady but of course quantities will cost dearly. I did manage to find 1,000 Speer plated bullets at Powder Valley for practice ammo. But I want to have a case on hand just in case this shortage lasts a long time. I think I waited too long. :(

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
Well I have been having better luck finding powder and primers. But bullets are another story. During the last shortage it was powder and primers I had a hard time finding. But right now “heads”

macsak

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
Well I have been having better luck finding powder and primers. But bullets are another story. During the last shortage it was powder and primers I had a hard time finding. But right now “heads”

heads

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:46 PM »
I tried teaching you how to make your own but you were only interested in the sandwiches. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 02:49:42 AM »
I tried teaching you how to make your own but you were only interested in the sandwiches. :rofl:
Hey, I have my priorities straight!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am slowly accumulating stuff to start casting. So far I have the melting pot and some lead alloy. Next month I’ll build a bench and buy a mold or two. I figure I’ll be ready to start casting in about 2-3 months.

:shaka: :shaka: :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 06:23:50 AM »
Hey, I have my priorities straight!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am slowly accumulating stuff to start casting. So far I have the melting pot and some lead alloy. Next month I’ll build a bench and buy a mold or two. I figure I’ll be ready to start casting in about 2-3 months.
 :shaka: :shaka: :shaka:
Gee whiz, by the time you actually start making your own, Joe Biden will be president and you won't have any guns left.
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »
Gee whiz, by the time you actually start making your own, Joe Biden will be president and you won't have any guns left.

that's not funny :'(
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
Relax, it's dark humor.

Oh wait "dark" might be waycist.
How about "off color" humor?
Ugh, nvm

What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Relax, it's dark humor.

Oh wait "dark" might be waycist.
How about "off color" humor?
Ugh, nvm
OFF WHITE

:wave:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
THANK YOU REN!!! You tell that Oldfart character. I hope if Biden wins he comes to Hawaii and sniffs OF’s hair!  :rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
That may be true but at least I’ll have a good stockpile of ammunition!  :rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
OFF WHITE

:wave:
Off White Lives Matter [OWLM]

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »
Off White Lives Matter [OWLM]
I'm offended because I'm off-white.
 :stopjack:
Anyway, getting back to hogdon powder, have you noticed that black powder is famous for being dirty?
Isn't that stereotyping? Where is the outrage?
What, Me Worry?