Illegal Missile Attack on Syria (Read 10834 times)

rklapp

Re: Illegal Missile Attack on Syria
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
The advantage to launching missiles is that it communicates to adversaries "don't fuck with the US". Plus some senator has constituents who get the military contract to replace the missiles. The disadvantage is that the Russians are now motivated to improve the air defenses in Syria who will then drop more gas bombs and might shoot down some of our arsenal. The fuckitude escalates...
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Kuleana

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
The advantage to launching missiles is that it communicates to adversaries "don't fuck with the US".

With referrence to your listed advantages, countries who are tough do not need to demonstate their strengths.  Only nations that are really weak do such things, as in the case of the DPRK's launching ballistic missiles to show how butch they are, when they are really not.

The disadvantage is that the Russians are now motivated to improve the air defenses in Syria who will then drop more gas bombs and might shoot down some of our arsenal.

With the exception of the alleged gas attack attributed to the Syrians, the real disadvantage is setting the stage for a shooting war between the US and Russia that will lead to WWIII.  Humanitarian aid be damned, Syria is not worth getting into WWIII.

The fuckitude escalates...

Better believe it!

Inspector

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
I hope you are right and that this attack and potential future military attacks by the US and its allies are not reminiscent to the actions that led to the current Iraq debacle.
I can't speak as to what may occur in the future. But I do agree I don't want us involved in this civil war. It is almost over now and Asad/Russia have all but won. I think we need to clean up the rest of the isis fighters and get out and call it done. The next step is to protect Israel. As I believe that is Iran's,Russia's/Syria's next target along with Hamas in Palestine.

The things I really hate is that this last action, to me, was very hypocritical. My understanding is that Asad has used chemical weapons on his own people at least a dozen times between the missile attack from a year ago and this last action. If there is truly a red line, why didn't we take action the last 12 times Asad used gas on his own people? To me this was really done as a message to Russia/Putin, not Syria/Asad. I believe (and I certainly could be wrong) this is due to the antagonistic behavior between Putin and Trump. I truly believe that Russia has the technology and weapons to shoot down our missiles. Yet we won the gamesmanship in this case. Why? It may be that Russia really doesn't have the weapons to do this. And we know it. I think the proof that Putin really is not full of shit is if the consequences of our last action in Syria becomes apparent in the near future. If nothing comes of it, then Putin is full of it. In which case the talk of WWIII is nothing but hot air.

I am really curious as to why they made no attempt to shoot down even a handful of missiles if they truly have the weapons to do so? Especially since Trump told Putin to go ahead and try. If the Russians have the opportunity to embarrass us at any turn, I would think they would. Something else we will probably never know.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Another advantage is that we're less likely to ask who's Cohen's secret client. Wait, never mind...

Kuleana

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
I am really curious as to why they made no attempt to shoot down even a handful of missiles if they truly have the weapons to do so? Especially since Trump told Putin to go ahead and try. If the Russians have the opportunity to embarrass us at any turn, I would think they would. Something else we will probably never know.

The reason Russian anti-missile defense systems were not deployed during the US-led missile attack was because none of Russia's military forces were targeted.  The US-led strike was specific in its targets, which was deliberate because the US did not want to face the consequences of hitting anything Russian and, likewise, Russia was probably relieved not being in a situation where their actions could rapidly escalate the conflict between both countries. 

Inspector

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »
The reason Russian anti-missile defense systems were not deployed during the US-led missile attack was because none of Russia's military forces were targeted.  The US-led strike was specific in its targets, which was deliberate because the US did not want to face the consequences of hitting anything Russian and, likewise, Russia was probably relieved not being in a situation where their actions could rapidly escalate the conflict between both countries.
You very well could be right. I take that back, you probably are correct. I would still love to know if they do in fact possess the ability to shoot down our missiles.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
The question is if the Russians will now give the Syrians the capability to shoot down our planes and missiles or have we not crossed that line yet.

London808

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »
The question is if the Russians will now give the Syrians the capability to shoot down our planes and missiles or have we not crossed that line yet.

Russia already has S-400’S in Russia already.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

rklapp

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 11:42:07 PM »
Russia already has S-400’S in Russia already.
I didn't say they don't have the capability. What I said is will the Russians hand over the weapons to the Syrians to use against us.

Kuleana

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:25 AM »
I didn't say they don't have the capability. What I said is will the Russians hand over the weapons to the Syrians to use against us.

I think they may already have.

Whether Syria uses them or not depends on whether they are saving them should the US plans to illegally invade their country as they did Libya and Iraq.

rklapp

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
That's a good question. Did the Syrians hold back with their Russian AA weapons knowing we'll do a limited strike or did they not have the weaponry available yet?

Q

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

You mean like how we gave stingers to afghans to use against the soviets?

Neither Russia nor Syria wants any conflict with the US; they just want us to stay out of their business.

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
You mean like how we gave stingers to afghans to use against the soviets?

Neither Russia nor Syria wants any conflict with the US; they just want us to stay out of their business.
Rambo III

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rklapp

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
Rambo III

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Our drill sergeant thought that was a hilarious scene.

davgdavg

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
There are already S-400 systems in Syria at tactically important sites. Strategically Russia is not going to just throw them all over the place for US or Israeli special forces to capture pretty much at will from disorganized and poorly trained Syrian army regulars. It would be a field day for anyone wanting Russian hardware.

Putin apparently signed off on the attack. The US warned everyone long before the attack.

All this "illegal" talk is so stupid. Just really, I don't have the words for it.