Angry Bum (Read 6406 times)

changemyoil66

Angry Bum
« on: April 30, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
So I was standing outside of a restaurant waiting for my take out order.  I'm on my phone, but look up every few seconds to scan.  I noticed this bum walking toward me on the sidewalk.  So I put my phone away.  As he passed he muttered "fucken people always putting their phones away as I walk by".

He did keep walking.  But I was thinking, what if he took more offense to this action and decided to act on it?  I would probably tell him that my actions are warranted because he is now in my face starting something.  Then walk away.

But the point is, how many other times have I done the same thing, or nudged the wife to the opposite side so I can be closer to the potential threat.  And all these people might have taken offense, but just didn't say anything.  Could this precautionary action lead to an altercation 1 day?  Maybe be more subtitle about it?  But then again, the alternative is what if there is a threat and I lose because I wasn't ready.

Just food for thought.

drck1000

Re: Angry Bum
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Are you asking because you were concerned that you might be prejudiced, and just realized it?  Or really trying to understand the actions of a complete stranger?

To a certain extent, it is natural to notice and take appropriate actions based on past experiences.  Some may call that prejudice, but I say one had to take actions appropriate to them.  You didn't do anything wrong. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Are you asking because you were concerned that you might be prejudiced, and just realized it?  Or really trying to understand the actions of a complete stranger?

To a certain extent, it is natural to notice and take appropriate actions based on past experiences.  Some may call that prejudice, but I say one had to take actions appropriate to them.  You didn't do anything wrong. . .

I'm not concerned if anyone labels or judges me because I'm being prejudiced toward a bum.  You're damn right I am.  And anyone else who looks suspect.  Aint no way a 90 year old grandma is gonna start anything.

I never thought about a confrontation might take place due to that action.

Direjackalope

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »
I always nudge my wife closer to the threat. Not only is it empowering to a strong independent women but it gives me time to decisively react while she’s getting attacked. I believe it’s the same principle as put on your own mask before assisting others.

hvybarrels

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
It will be really interesting when everyone has to get back to work and re-engage in social situations after isolating for so long. Imagine for some it will be like what Shane Dorian was describing on the Joe Rogan podcast about hunting Mauna Kea solo for a week, and when he finally got picked up it seemed like his buddy was shouting when he was just talking in a normal voice. As social creatures it is amazing how quickly we get out of whack when we do not have enough interaction.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »
If you work around downdown (Bishop & Hotel streets), you see some really wild and woolly ones out and about.

I don't avoid these people per se, but I do avoid making eye contact for any length of time.  No sense in trying to initiate a reaction.

As for putting your phone away, it's their perception that creates their belief that they are the cause.  How do they know you didn't simply finish your text conversation (i.e. What do you want me to pick up for dinner?).

If you're too insecure to handle a comment by a stranger in passing, then maybe spend more time at a soup kitchen, food bank, etc.

People are human, but some act less human than others.  Everyone deserves respect, but not everyone deserves your trust -- especially strangers.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

tim808

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Direjackalope - that was funny....but your still going to hell
:-)

Change oil - I always avoid bums that are upright. The bums may feel bad/offended but better to be safe than sorry I feel.  I’d be pretty unhappy if they grabbed me or spit on me

macsak

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 08:45:50 PM »
If you work around downdown (Bishop & Hotel streets), you see some really wild and woolly ones out and about.

I don't avoid these people per se, but I do avoid making eye contact for any length of time.  No sense in trying to initiate a reaction.

As for putting your phone away, it's their perception that creates their belief that they are the cause.  How do they know you didn't simply finish your text conversation (i.e. What do you want me to pick up for dinner?).

If you're too insecure to handle a comment by a stranger in passing, then maybe spend more time at a soup kitchen, food bank, etc.

People are human, but some act less human than others.  Everyone deserves respect, but not everyone deserves your trust -- especially strangers.

I had to visit a colleague today, and his office was on fort street mall
I admit I was freaked the F out by the homeless, since there were a few with obvious mental issues, and some weren't wearing masks...

Bota-CS1

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
I always nudge my wife closer to the threat. Not only is it empowering to a strong independent women but it gives me time to decisively react while she’s getting attacked. I believe it’s the same principle as put on your own mask before assisting others.

Quokkas and kangaroos have veen known to sacrifice their young to predators so they can escape. 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Direjackalope

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »
Quokkas and kangaroos have veen known to sacrifice their young to predators so they can escape.

Once she gets serious about carrying a tactical pen and a flip knife instead of just holding her keys between her knuckles like wolverine I'm willing to re-negotiate our tactics.

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »
Once she gets serious about carrying a tactical pen and a flip knife instead of just holding her keys between her knuckles like wolverine I'm willing to re-negotiate our tactics.
Just put her between her  child and the threat and watch her go into "Mommy Mode".   :shake: :shake: :shake:
Her claws will put  Wolverine to shame.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
Just put her between her  child and the threat and watch her go into "Mommy Mode".   :shake: :shake: :shake:
=============
oh yeah, never get between momma and the baby....
and if things don't work out you can collect life insurance.

it's a win-win
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »
I’d like to see a study on that today. Being cooped up at home with kids, I bet there are some mothers who might be like “go ahead, take em”  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »

Have her punch something while holding the keys like that.  She will learn very quickly thats a bad idea.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
I’d like to see a study on that today. Being cooped up at home with kids, I bet there are some mothers who might be like “go ahead, take em”  :rofl:

I know a handful who don't bitch about buying school supplies anymore.  If the school requires X dollars to spend on supplies that the kid will rarely use, then go for it.  Small price to pay to have a baby sitter from 8am-3pm.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 09:37:00 AM »
I thought this topic was about the last time I had really spicy 🌶 Indian food 🥵. My mistake.  Carry on.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
if a bum gets too close...…. >:D

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »
if a bum gets too close...…. >:D

I miss the prime days of WCW/WWF. Not i'ts all rubbish. I even think if John Cena were to be wrestling back in the prime days, he would be a nobody.  Even Dude Love has more charisma.

Prime days are like 90's and early 2000's. Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Giant, Man Kind, Buff Bagwell, Roudy Roddy Piper, etc...

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 10:14:46 AM »
I miss the prime days of WCW/WWF. Not i'ts all rubbish. I even think if John Cena were to be wrestling back in the prime days, he would be a nobody.  Even Dude Love has more charisma.

Prime days are like 90's and early 2000's. Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Giant, Man Kind, Buff Bagwell, Roudy Roddy Piper, etc...

those were the days.  ECW too.  had some kind of wrestling just about every day on tv back then.  my all time favorite is the Great Muta.  best wrestler to never say a word. 
I remember back even further.  Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mid South, AWA, WCCW in Texas, Florida Championship.  makes me feel old.   :D

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »
those were the days.  ECW too.  had some kind of wrestling just about every day on tv back then.  my all time favorite is the Great Muta.  best wrestler to never say a word. 
I remember back even further.  Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mid South, AWA, WCCW in Texas, Florida Championship.  makes me feel old.   :D

I never got into ECW, even though it was like a cage match gore everytime.