City trying to curb wild pigs at Kaneohe botanical park (Read 7947 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
City trying to curb wild pigs at Kaneohe botanical park
« on: November 25, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
I thought this was a kind of interesting article on wild pigs. Does anyone know how bad the boar problem is getting on Oahu?

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/134440598.html
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

crazy cat

Re: City trying to curb wild pigs at Kaneohe botanical park
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
I live in Glenwood (Big Island), and there used to be a lot of wild pigs in the forest (talk about your agricultural pests.....).  I haven't seen so much as a footprint in a couple of years.  I think this is related to the 2008 crash and the ongoing lack of jobs. 

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »
They didn't start calling it 'The Great Depression' until the 1930's when it was almost over. Most likely the pigs here will get a whole lot smarter over the next few years.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

bass monkey

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
The workers probably trapping and taking the meat home.

I know in Kailua/dump road always get pigs at our site

Tom_G

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »
Ask any pig hunter here how "bad" the pig problem is.  Then wait an hour until they stop laughing before they launch into a rant about how much time and effort they spend without any success. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

GZire

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
I thought this was a kind of interesting article on wild pigs. Does anyone know how bad the boar problem is getting on Oahu?

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/134440598.html
Poor piggy :(

http://g35driver.com/forums/hawaii/392374-why-did-piggy-cross-road.html

Kingkeoni

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »
I don't know that it's so bad island wide.

I know certain areas are more abundant than other areas.

I hunt boar quite a bit and go home empty, more often than not.

It wasn't that way 15 or 20 years ago.

Because hunting is not legal at Hoomaluhia, I would imagine that there are a lot of boar.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

clshade

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26:06 AM »
I've seen neighbors nearly come to blows over the pig "problem."

One guy has his panties in a bunch because the pigs are tearing up his grass. Hires a local pig trapper to take care of the problem. Its great! They come and do it for free!!

The other guy tears into him: Why you giving our pigs away for free?! Storm hit the island and that's my food! Your food! How many times have I told you build a fence!

I'll let you guess which one was the real estate agent from the mainland and which was the third generation coffee farmer...

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:43:10 AM »

One guy has his panties in a bunch because the pigs are tearing up his grass. Hires a local pig trapper to take care of the problem. Its great! They come and do it for free!!

The other guy tears into him: Why you giving our pigs away for free?! Storm hit the island and that's my food! Your food! How many times have I told you build a fence!

I'll let you guess which one was the real estate agent from the mainland and which was the third generation coffee farmer...

Well of course the pig farmer was the one not wanting to give it away for free. You can hear how jittery he is in your story.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Heavies

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 04:44:27 AM »
Don't know why the city is wasting taxpayer money trapping these pigs.  I'm sure you hunters out there would love the chance to thin them out a bit, all for free.  "pig hunting wouldn't be prudent because of camping at the park on weekends."  What a crock... :P

bass monkey

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 07:08:30 AM »
I don't know that it's so bad island wide.

I know certain areas are more abundant than other areas.

I hunt boar quite a bit and go home empty, more often than not.

It wasn't that way 15 or 20 years ago.

Because hunting is not legal at Hoomaluhia, I would imagine that there are a lot of boar.

I would say this is true. Although there are pigs on island, they probably learned where the safe areas are and hang out in these areas, the garden being one of them. Could also be the reason the manoa/Honolulu hunting area is opened once a year. Id like to go hunting one day.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 07:16:02 AM »
Don't know why the city is wasting taxpayer money trapping these pigs.  I'm sure you hunters out there would love the chance to thin them out a bit, all for free.  "pig hunting wouldn't be prudent because of camping at the park on weekends."  What a crock... :P

I would happily do it.

I don't need guns or bow and arrow.

There would ne no chance of me hurting any campers.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »

I wonder who your neighbor is.

I've been called to trap pigs in peoples yards a lot.

clshade

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
Not my neighbors, but friends of mine who are neighbors. Up near Kalopa park, Hamakua, Big Island.