what kind of gas do the weedwackers and leafblowers need? (Read 5367 times)

macsak

what kind of gas do the weedwackers and leafblowers need?
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
87, 89, 92?
is 10% ethanol ok?
or do we have to get the kind from the harbor or selected gas stations that has no ethanol?

edited to add:
asking because i want to bring a small gas can of gas for them to use and i don't want to get bad stuff
others of us who are prepared sometimes have a few gallons stashed away in their car or house and may want to donate it so they can rotate it out
just don't want to screw anybody's stuff up because they volunteered to clean the range
i know that smaller motors are affected the most
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:42:13 PM by macsak »

Bigkahuna808

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: what kind of gas do the weedwackers and leafblowers need?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
Pref non ethanol but that gets to be expensive and harder to find

macsak

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
Pref non ethanol but that gets to be expensive and harder to find

harbors have it
selected stations (kaneohe shell for example) have it too
just wanted to find out if it is desired or a requirement to be non-ethanol

Q

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:55:18 PM by Q »

macsak

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
ethanol should be ok as long as the person empties out and burns off the remaining gas before storing it.

Octane level should not matter; just gotta make sure that the oil mix is correct if we are going to have a bulk supply.

ok, then
what is the correct oil?
just 2-stroke oil you can get from costco/sam's?
how much oil does a weedwacker or leafblower use?

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »
ok, then
what is the correct oil?
just 2-stroke oil you can get from costco/sam's?
how much oil does a weedwacker or leafblower use?

I go thruy ALOT of small engine gas and use 10% eth but every year or so I need to take the muffler off and burn the spark arrestor screen of with a torch as it gets "glazed with corn syrup".
Most weed wackers take 40 to 1 (3.2 oz of 2 stroke oil to 1 gal gas)
Most blowers use the same.
If not 40-1, it's 50-1 (2.56 oz of 2 stroke oil to 1 gal gas)

It's not really rocket science just a matter of making sure the piston/cylendar gets some lube (do you really measure to the 6/100 of an oz ?)
I've been putting 40-1 in my 50-1 engines (chainsaw and hedge trimmer) and then adding a touch more of gas for 5+ years on the same tools.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:50:08 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

gmau

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
87, 89, 92?
is 10% ethanol ok?
or do we have to get the kind from the harbor or selected gas stations that has no ethanol?

edited to add:
asking because i want to bring a small gas can of gas for them to use and i don't want to get bad stuff
others of us who are prepared sometimes have a few gallons stashed away in their car or house and may want to donate it so they can rotate it out
just don't want to screw anybody's stuff up because they volunteered to clean the range
i know that smaller motors are affected the most

Hey Mac-
Just so you know, they have Ethanol Free Gas at the closest gas station to the range - the 76 on Lunalilo right by Hawaii National Bank.  It's usually the same price as E10 92 which is WAY cheaper than what the harbors charge (in particular those guys at Ala Wai that have been gouging me for years).

I have three 5 gallon gas cans that have only seen ethanol free gas if this project is still on and we need some.

macsak

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »
Hey Mac-
Just so you know, they have Ethanol Free Gas at the closest gas station to the range - the 76 on Lunalilo right by Hawaii National Bank.  It's usually the same price as E10 92 which is WAY cheaper than what the harbors charge (in particular those guys at Ala Wai that have been gouging me for years).

I have three 5 gallon gas cans that have only seen ethanol free gas if this project is still on and we need some.

ok thanks, rocky and gmau