Get a Stronger Grip, or Not? (Read 760 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Get a Stronger Grip, or Not?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »

The bottom line is if an old guy like me can learn and practice and get better I am sure you can too!  :thumbsup:

So you can teach an old dog new tricks.  :rofl:

Mrs. CMO took a CCW class at the woman's conference in CO.  Her IWB draw and 1st shot was about 1.6 seconds IIRC, and she was able to get hits at the target 7 yards away.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 09:49:52 AM »
Good way to test your grip strength is try shooting a .460 in 1 hand a .500 in the other  :thumbsup:

Yikes..... :o

Way back when I was young, handsome, and strong :rofl: I would shoot my SW29 one handed.  I was comfortable with the factory loads and usually if I'm lucky I would hit the target (frame, lol!)

Now that I.m old, ugly, and weak I would be reluctant to try.  Maybe with .44 specials I would, lol!
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:17 AM »
Msg me when you wanna go, I'll be there and show you the ropes.  Always good to have someone there when doing something new.  Make sure you bring plenty ammo.  :thumbsup:

Thanks CMO, I'd like that.  Yeah, I'm new to semi-auto pistols so I want to be 100% sure I can handle the gun safely.  Although I own revolvers, I think it is apples and oranges to pistols aside from the obvious safety rules that are generic to all firearms whether long or short.

So at the KHSC pistol range I practice slowly, watching myself as I load, unload, and do safety checks and malfunction drills.  I have a long way to go before I gain full confidence.

But yeah, I'll find myself one day at the open shoots.  Thanks for the warm invitation. :shaka:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
Great inspiration!  Thanks! :shaka:

Now if I would only get off my lazy ass and get myself down to the range!  I also would like to work myself up to double taps and multiple taps with efficiency although at KHSC pistol range I won't be able to practice that.

Maybe if I attended one of the monthly HDF open shoots....(I've stated my interest but haven't built up the confidence yet.  One day... ;D)
I can vouch for the HDF and their classes. They are all good people and will be very helpful in helping you obtain whatever your goal may be. Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime.

As far as CMO is concerned I don’t know him personally, but anyone who buys that much tinfoil and admits it can’t be all bad!  :rofl:
AZ MASS ELECTION FRAUD OCCURRED!!! - IT HAS BEEN PROVEN!!!
2A HAWAII FORUM VIRUS - OMNICRON VARIANT

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »
Dogman let Mrs. CMO fire his 500. 2 different ammo, 1 had way more kick than the other. Mrs. CMO wanted 1 after that.  Her wrist was a little sore after though. Cant remember if it was snub nose or not.
I've shot a few of dogman's hand cannons.  I haven't shot revolvers with him in a while, but he usually offers when he does have them on range days.  Been there, done that, web of hand still numb. . .  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 10:49:53 AM »
Msg me when you wanna go, I'll be there and show you the ropes.  Always good to have someone there when doing something new.  Make sure you bring plenty ammo.  :thumbsup:
Same for me.  I haven't gone to HDF or HRA range days in a while, but would be good to have "more" reason do attend. 

Thanks CMO, I'd like that.  Yeah, I'm new to semi-auto pistols so I want to be 100% sure I can handle the gun safely.  Although I own revolvers, I think it is apples and oranges to pistols aside from the obvious safety rules that are generic to all firearms whether long or short.

So at the KHSC pistol range I practice slowly, watching myself as I load, unload, and do safety checks and malfunction drills.  I have a long way to go before I gain full confidence.

But yeah, I'll find myself one day at the open shoots.  Thanks for the warm invitation. :shaka:
Semi-autos "sampling" is definitely an aspect many here can help with, including me.  I bought a number of handguns using range of handguns for when I volunteered with basic pistol classes as "justification" for buying.  I can donate some ammo as well. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »

As far as CMO is concerned I don’t know him personally, but anyone who buys that much tinfoil and admits it can’t be all bad!  :rofl:

True tin foil members aren't ashamed of admitting their purchase of tin foil.  The fake ones don't admit it, they're prob narc's...

macsak

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
Dogman let Mrs. CMO fire his 500. 2 different ammo, 1 had way more kick than the other. Mrs. CMO wanted 1 after that.  Her wrist was a little sore after though. Cant remember if it was snub nose or not.

mrs CMO not used to handling large caliber "guns"

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2021, 12:35:18 PM »
mrs CMO not used to handling large caliber "guns"
.17 HMR. . . :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »

stangzilla

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »

iirc, it's a 4" barrel with compensator

hvybarrels

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 09:33:51 AM »

Pretty sure he let me try that one as well. It was glorious.

dogman

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »

Yep, 4" barrel, 1" comp included. If you shot two different loads it was 38 grains H-110 / 400 grain bullet "way more kick" and 41 grains H-110 / 350 grain bullet. Heavier bullet, less powder, more felt recoil. I recommend "Get a Stronger Grip" with this revolver.

dogman

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »
Pretty sure he let me try that one as well. It was glorious.
Yep, that was me.

hvybarrels

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
Yep, that was me.

Thanks again. Still amazes me how the double action was so smooth on a hand canon like that.

drck1000

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:01 PM »
Yep, 4" barrel, 1" comp included. If you shot two different loads it was 38 grains H-110 / 400 grain bullet "way more kick" and 41 grains H-110 / 350 grain bullet. Heavier bullet, less powder, more felt recoil. I recommend "Get a Stronger Grip" with this revolver.
[Insert video of shooting DE .50 AE without solid grip]

Usually only happens once. . .