Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 82535 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
More like buy 4x. Serpa, gcode (non-wml), faltac (wml), safari.

Hope no RDS or gonna be 5x.

No focus

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
More like buy 4x. Serpa, gcode (non-wml), faltac (wml), safari.

Hope no RDS or gonna be 5x.

No focus

There are many holsters that are RDS “accepting”. I’ve tried many holsters, but luckily mostly for the various iterations/versions of Glocks. My holsters for other guns are typically plain.

If you had a Glock 17 with X300, I could’ve given you a Safariland SLS.

When you say “hood”. Do you mean the bail? The strap that runs behind the gun when in the holster? 

TooFewPews

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »
When you say “hood”. Do you mean the bail? The strap that runs behind the gun when in the holster?

I think he means foreskin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2021, 07:08:11 PM »
buy twice, cry twice...
G-Code has 20% off sale this weekend, so 80% cry?  :rofl:

Safariland has discount codes here and there, and for instructors. Wait times can be  ::) tho…

macsak

« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
I think he means foreskin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heads

changemyoil66

« Reply #245 on: July 01, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
There are many holsters that are RDS “accepting”. I’ve tried many holsters, but luckily mostly for the various iterations/versions of Glocks. My holsters for other guns are typically plain.

If you had a Glock 17 with X300, I could’ve given you a Safariland SLS.

The SLS on the safari holsters = my hood. Idk what its really called.

changemyoil66

« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2021, 08:08:38 PM »
G-Code has 20% off sale this weekend, so 80% cry?  :rofl:

Safariland has discount codes here and there, and for instructors. Wait times can be  ::) tho…
I had a 10% off for signing up for email. So $160.

Are the instructor discounts delayed cause regular customer orders go out first? Like how SIGs ones do.  Cause im hoping it comes in b4 our trip to KS for classes in Sept.

changemyoil66

« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2021, 08:08:50 PM »
heads
Covered heads

drck1000

« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2021, 08:13:39 PM »
I had a 10% off for signing up for email. So $160.

Are the instructor discounts delayed cause regular customer orders go out first? Like how SIGs ones do.  Cause im hoping it comes in b4 our trip to KS for classes in Sept.

Think backorder in general. I’ve ordered from other sites. Safariland site seems to make you order the whole set/system. I just want the holster body and can add the QLS fork.

drck1000

« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2021, 08:16:24 PM »
The SLS on the safari holsters = my hood. Idk what its really called.

Some companies call that retention strap the hood. I was thinking the cowl (not hood now that I looked up again) from the G-Code system.

changemyoil66

« Reply #250 on: July 01, 2021, 08:20:43 PM »
Think backorder in general. I’ve ordered from other sites. Safariland site seems to make you order the whole set/system. I just want the holster body and can add the QLS fork.
Thats why i ordered the basic attachment system to ur belt from safari. Im gonna replace it with RTI hanger from gcode.

changemyoil66

« Reply #251 on: July 01, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
Some companies call that retention strap the hood. I was thinking the cowl (not hood now that I looked up again) from the G-Code system.
From now in HI, it will be known as foreskin.

drck1000

« Reply #252 on: July 01, 2021, 11:00:18 PM »
From now in HI, it will be known as foreskin.

Whatever floats your boat bro. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »
Took a HDF combo skill builder.

Rifle is g2g, but the pistol needs work as usual.  Was shooting low at 10 yards for the first exercise (missed the 8x11 white paper 1 of 10 hit).  But 2nd exercise at 15yrds, all on the money.  So maybe cold v. warmed up.  But IMO, low is better than too right or too left.  Because it would still be on target v. missing wide.

Used the old G-code foreskin holster instead of the FalTac 1.  So I had to remove my WML b4 class.  Safariland 6000 series should be shipped on 8/2.

It wasn't super sunny all SB, but wasn't overcast either. Still was super drained later in the day and the next day. Which is the usual.  I drank 1 quart gatorade and about 3/4 gallon water for the 3-4 hour SB.  But even if I drank 2 gatorades, I still feel the same. This might be an issue when we go to Kansas and take a 3 day class.

What I did have to adjust was when recovering the rifle, I used to grab infront the magwell when the rifle is to next to my hip on my side. But with my warbelt, the mag now gets in the way with the sling. So I had to grab from my optic riser instead (Romeo5 RDS).  Which is pretty common. I was just doing it wrong all these years.

drck1000

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Took a HDF combo skill builder.

Rifle is g2g, but the pistol needs work as usual.  Was shooting low at 10 yards for the first exercise (missed the 8x11 white paper 1 of 10 hit).  But 2nd exercise at 15yrds, all on the money.  So maybe cold v. warmed up.  But IMO, low is better than too right or too left.  Because it would still be on target v. missing wide.

Used the old G-code foreskin holster instead of the FalTac 1.  So I had to remove my WML b4 class.  Safariland 6000 series should be shipped on 8/2.

It wasn't super sunny all SB, but wasn't overcast either. Still was super drained later in the day and the next day. Which is the usual.  I drank 1 quart gatorade and about 3/4 gallon water for the 3-4 hour SB.  But even if I drank 2 gatorades, I still feel the same. This might be an issue when we go to Kansas and take a 3 day class.

What I did have to adjust was when recovering the rifle, I used to grab infront the magwell when the rifle is to next to my hip on my side. But with my warbelt, the mag now gets in the way with the sling. So I had to grab from my optic riser instead (Romeo5 RDS).  Which is pretty common. I was just doing it wrong all these years.
You had 1 of 10 hits on an 8.5" x 11" paper at 10 yards?   :o 

I like shooting cold tests/drills.  I try to mix them up so as so not practice the test/drill, but that's good to evaluate where one is at.  I found it was especially useful or eye opening after breaks away from shooting. 

The sun on range days gets to me too, especially since I had not been outside much during COVID.  Otherwise, I would've been shooting matches or range days in the action bays maybe 2-3 times a month.  Yeah, be sure to hydrate when you take classes.  I've found that classes in low humidity climates can be sneaky in terms of hydration since you may not realize how much you're perspiring.  Noticed that when I would golf in Vegas.  Drank a lot of water (and other beverages) and didn't piss as much as I thought I would. 

How your gear works with, or conflicts with shooting is one big thing I pay attention to on training type range days, as well as mention to folks that are newer to training.  Some things that may seem ok when dry manipulations may come to light when shooting.  That said, I've never seen anyone grab their long gun by optic.  I typically have palm on the magwell, or have seen folks use the rail.  But if that works for you, then rock on. 

Good on you for continuing with skill builder events.  Even with this ammo craziness. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2021, 09:57:07 AM »
You had 1 of 10 hits on an 8.5" x 11" paper at 10 yards?   :o 

I like shooting cold tests/drills.  I try to mix them up so as so not practice the test/drill, but that's good to evaluate where one is at.  I found it was especially useful or eye opening after breaks away from shooting. 

The sun on range days gets to me too, especially since I had not been outside much during COVID.  Otherwise, I would've been shooting matches or range days in the action bays maybe 2-3 times a month.  Yeah, be sure to hydrate when you take classes.  I've found that classes in low humidity climates can be sneaky in terms of hydration since you may not realize how much you're perspiring.  Noticed that when I would golf in Vegas.  Drank a lot of water (and other beverages) and didn't piss as much as I thought I would. 

How your gear works with, or conflicts with shooting is one big thing I pay attention to on training type range days, as well as mention to folks that are newer to training.  Some things that may seem ok when dry manipulations may come to light when shooting.  That said, I've never seen anyone grab their long gun by optic.  I typically have palm on the magwell, or have seen folks use the rail.  But if that works for you, then rock on. 

Good on you for continuing with skill builder events.  Even with this ammo craziness.

I was waiting for your input, then I saw your post about being off island.  I welcome your $0.02 always.

Yeah that cold drill was all jacked up.  Normally it isn't that bad.  But I guess shooting low is better than shooting too much left or right.  As in knowing what's behind the target and shooting wide is worst.  At least low would be appendix/torso/balls area still.

It was weird, because my gear set up hasn't changed and prior skill builders, I grab from the mag will with no issues. But this time the sling was getting hung up on the mag.  So I had do adapt and work thru the problem and switched to the optic post. Maybe I got fatter during the lockdown.

drck1000

« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »
I was waiting for your input, then I saw your post about being off island.  I welcome your $0.02 always.

Yeah that cold drill was all jacked up.  Normally it isn't that bad.  But I guess shooting low is better than shooting too much left or right.  As in knowing what's behind the target and shooting wide is worst.  At least low would be appendix/torso/balls area still.

It was weird, because my gear set up hasn't changed and prior skill builders, I grab from the mag will with no issues. But this time the sling was getting hung up on the mag.  So I had do adapt and work thru the problem and switched to the optic post. Maybe I got fatter during the lockdown.
Yeah, I was out of town last week for work.  First time traveling since COVID.  It was pretty interesting.  The airport and flight both ways were packed.  Seemed like business as usual, but with masks.  It did seem like some people have lost some social skills/graces, but not too bad. 

Assume you were shooting a striker fired gun.  Not a DA/SA.  Suggest trying some ball and dummy drills next time to the "regular" pistol range.  Something I work on regularly, even when I've been shooting a lot.  Actually, sometimes even more so if I've been shooting a lot.  Shooting matches are picking up again.  Shooting those may help you see stuff like cold starts and stuff. 

On the rifle to handgun transitions, was it standing?  When you transition, do you notice if you rotate the gun one way or the other?  I tend to rotate my left had clockwise and sort of a "sweep to the side" motion.  I mean the gun will be where it will be when you transition back.  But something that I did notice my habit, and others doing differently.  Not saying one is better than the other, but just something that I noticed.  I also wear my sling like a pendant when shooting, as opposed to fully "in" the sling.  Something I have been meaning to try differently, but just haven't gotten around to trying. 

Sheesh, have you been eating that much during lockdown?  I have a few buddies that had some pretty big swings.  They were in great shape prior to COVID and had to go down belt sizes.  But now after COVID, they are back to their old belt and had to loosen it a bit.   :o  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
Yeah, I was out of town last week for work.  First time traveling since COVID.  It was pretty interesting.  The airport and flight both ways were packed.  Seemed like business as usual, but with masks.  It did seem like some people have lost some social skills/graces, but not too bad. 

Assume you were shooting a striker fired gun.  Not a DA/SA.  Suggest trying some ball and dummy drills next time to the "regular" pistol range.  Something I work on regularly, even when I've been shooting a lot.  Actually, sometimes even more so if I've been shooting a lot.  Shooting matches are picking up again.  Shooting those may help you see stuff like cold starts and stuff. 

On the rifle to handgun transitions, was it standing?  When you transition, do you notice if you rotate the gun one way or the other?  I tend to rotate my left had clockwise and sort of a "sweep to the side" motion.  I mean the gun will be where it will be when you transition back.  But something that I did notice my habit, and others doing differently.  Not saying one is better than the other, but just something that I noticed.  I also wear my sling like a pendant when shooting, as opposed to fully "in" the sling.  Something I have been meaning to try differently, but just haven't gotten around to trying. 

Sheesh, have you been eating that much during lockdown?  I have a few buddies that had some pretty big swings.  They were in great shape prior to COVID and had to go down belt sizes.  But now after COVID, they are back to their old belt and had to loosen it a bit.   :o  :rofl:

The good news is I actually had to take in my war belt about an inch recently. New Safariland holster should be arriving on Wednesday.

The hang up was while standing. I noticed the clockwise rotation of the rifle when grabbing at the magwell.  Now that I think of it, this may be the issue. I could only be rotating now for some reason and not b4.  I'm gonna try later when I get home. Where as grabbing at the riser/optic, it's harder to rotate unless you got a super strong forearm. Prob has do to with balance. By grabbing at the top, it won't rotate as easily.

The rifle was fully slung, which is my normal.  I do pendant or neck slung when doing transitions from strong to support side.  This is accomplished by just taking out by left arm from the sling b4 changing from strong to support. And when switching back mid exercise, I don't put my left arm back in.  Just keep it pendant style.  Helps shooting from support side when moving from right to left. What the SB's taught me is to recognize when to do that or unsling and shoot from the ground positions.  I mean, 1 can work thru the problem, but solving it b4 needing to gives you that few seconds.

drck1000

« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »
The good news is I actually had to take in my war belt about an inch recently. New Safariland holster should be arriving on Wednesday.

The hang up was while standing. I noticed the clockwise rotation of the rifle when grabbing at the magwell.  Now that I think of it, this may be the issue. I could only be rotating now for some reason and not b4.  I'm gonna try later when I get home. Where as grabbing at the riser/optic, it's harder to rotate unless you got a super strong forearm. Prob has do to with balance. By grabbing at the top, it won't rotate as easily.

The rifle was fully slung, which is my normal.  I do pendant or neck slung when doing transitions from strong to support side.  This is accomplished by just taking out by left arm from the sling b4 changing from strong to support. And when switching back mid exercise, I don't put my left arm back in.  Just keep it pendant style.  Helps shooting from support side when moving from right to left. What the SB's taught me is to recognize when to do that or unsling and shoot from the ground positions.  I mean, 1 can work thru the problem, but solving it b4 needing to gives you that few seconds.

On the transition back from rifle, try not to over think it. 

For the pendant/necklace sling method, just what I was taught a while back.  The folks that I've been taking classes with the last few years do it a little bit differently.  Through the many courses that I've taken, hadn't felt the need to change, but I do want to try their way for myself and decide.  Funny in that the last time I shot a skill builder (a long time ago), I had just switched to a longer buttstock position.  I think one, maybe two clicks longer.  Anyways, first drill with the rifle was something where I noticed the sling length was a bit too restrictive.  I caught a comment or two about that.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
On the transition back from rifle, try not to over think it. 

For the pendant/necklace sling method, just what I was taught a while back.  The folks that I've been taking classes with the last few years do it a little bit differently.  Through the many courses that I've taken, hadn't felt the need to change, but I do want to try their way for myself and decide.  Funny in that the last time I shot a skill builder (a long time ago), I had just switched to a longer buttstock position.  I think one, maybe two clicks longer.  Anyways, first drill with the rifle was something where I noticed the sling length was a bit too restrictive.  I caught a comment or two about that.   ;D
"I said use your sling. Not TQ the neck".