Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 82518 times)

drck1000

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
"I said use your sling. Not TQ the neck".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I think the neck TQ is critical gear. . . for some. . .  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2021, 08:04:40 AM »
Took a skill builder yesterday.  Like normal, had fun and learned something.

1 thing was what the hood protection is for on my Safariland holster.  So if someone is facing you and tries to grab the pistol in the holster, which would prevent you from drawing it.  The hood protection tab stops their hand from making contact with the hood.  So you can disengage the hood still. When I go to the range, I get asked by a few people if I'm going to remove this.  Now I am not. Cause if Young v. Hawaii takes effect, I will be using this holster, but attached at the hip instead of a drop leg.

What was noticeable again is the mental fatigue toward the end of the SB. During the SB, I do well, but usually the last exercise is when I start to slip accuracy wise.  IDK how I have to train to prevent this.  I think it's mainly because I'm an indoor dog.  I mean I could go stand in the sun thru out the week, but is that really feasible? Even after the SB, due to being in the sun, around 6pm is when I start to get headache and feeling drained.  I do drink Gatorade and it helps prevent it from getting worst.During the 4 hr SB, I drank about 3/4 gallon of water and 1 bottle Gator. I did forget to apply sunscreen too and I'm very pale.  The damn sunscreen is on my bathroom counter top. I took it out and left it there so I don't forget to apply it. No focus. I might relocated to inside my range bag.

Had a few first timers and from the start to the end, they have shown a big improvement for manipulations. Accuracy takes longer than 1 SB to improve greatly on though.  But stuff like reloads, drawing, stance, etc...

zippz

« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »

1 thing was what the hood protection is for on my Safariland holster.  So if someone is facing you and tries to grab the pistol in the holster, which would prevent you from drawing it.  The hood protection tab stops their hand from making contact with the hood.  So you can disengage the hood still. When I go to the range, I get asked by a few people if I'm going to remove this.  Now I am not. Cause if Young v. Hawaii takes effect, I will be using this holster, but attached at the hip instead of a drop leg.

What was noticeable again is the mental fatigue toward the end of the SB. During the SB, I do well, but usually the last exercise is when I start to slip accuracy wise.  IDK how I have to train to prevent this.  I think it's mainly because I'm an indoor dog.  I mean I could go stand in the sun thru out the week, but is that really feasible? Even after the SB, due to being in the sun, around 6pm is when I start to get headache and feeling drained.  I do drink Gatorade and it helps prevent it from getting worst.During the 4 hr SB, I drank about 3/4 gallon of water and 1 bottle Gator. I did forget to apply sunscreen too and I'm very pale.  The damn sunscreen is on my bathroom counter top. I took it out and left it there so I don't forget to apply it. No focus. I might relocated to inside my range bag.

Had a few first timers and from the start to the end, they have shown a big improvement for manipulations. Accuracy takes longer than 1 SB to improve greatly on though.  But stuff like reloads, drawing, stance, etc...

If someone is attempting to get your gun, you cover the hood with your hand which prevents them from disengaging it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2021, 10:22:25 AM »

For the fatigue thing, I know what you mean.  There are times where at the end of the day, I am smoked. Physically and mentally.  Especially tougher on hot and humid days.  For many classes, I also look forward to the “debrief” that follows, so I usually recover for that.  Haha.  A 30 minute cool off session in the car also helps.  When I had more frequent range days, I didn’t notice the physical part as much.  It was noticeably worse going to classes after not having range days due to COVID. 

For hydration, if you notice that you’re starting to feel it in the middle of the range day, try hydrating a bit more prior to the session.  Try notice the color of your pee.  Or if you’re not peeing during the day, that’s also an indicator of lack of hydration. 

When I had classes in dry and hot places, like AZ, a friend gave me those liquid IV things.  I noticed that it made me pee more often than normal.  Not sure if it made me feel better overall from fatigue, but definitely wasn’t dehydrated.  I learned form golfing in Vegas that easy to get dehydrated as you don’t feel like you’re sweating since it’s so dry. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2021, 10:01:51 PM »
Ive noticed on overcast days, im pissing about 3x in 4 hrs. Sunny days like yesterday, 1 to none.

Ill try the hydration IV packs.  But ill do it in the next few weeks. Not a fan of trying new stuff day of range days. What if it gives me the runs. I think longs has.

I tried pocari sweat and it gave me a mean migraine about 1 hr later for 8 hrs.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2021, 10:21:38 PM »
Ive noticed on overcast days, im pissing about 3x in 4 hrs. Sunny days like yesterday, 1 to none.

Ill try the hydration IV packs.  But ill do it in the next few weeks. Not a fan of trying new stuff day of range days. What if it gives me the runs. I think longs has.

During survival training in the middle of Texas in August, we were given 2 @ 1qt canteens.  Every hour we visited the water buffalo (portable water tank) and filled up both canteens.  The rule was to drink 2 qts per hour.

During the 9 hours of training that day, I didn't piss once, and by the end of the day when eating our only meal (MRE), I was starting to get a headache.  Headache, BTW, is the first sign of dehydration.  At that point, though, the headache might have been from only having a grasshopper for lunch!

Once you notice you're dehydrated, you're already behind the curve.  If you know ahead of time what's in store that day, you need to pre-hydrate. 

At the chow hall, we were required to drink 2 large glasses of water with each meal no matter what other beverage we consumed.  There were more red flag days that month than not -- days where a red flag was literally raised, letting everyone know we were not allowed PT or marching at attention before sundown.  We were constantly hydrating at the water cooler jugs stationed at every building.

Keeping our bodies' water concentration up in high temps was our #1 health concern.  Can't train if you can't stand or concentrate.  And if you get heat stroke, it's way more serious.

We ran 1.5 miles every morning at 5AM before 6AM breakfast.  Still hot, but not too hot!   :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2021, 04:30:04 AM »
These are some of the things I do for gun classes, moreso for long multiday classes in the heat.

Eat well, hydrate, and get a good night's sleep. Starting day prior.
Prep your stuff, dry practice, and review materials for the next day.
Wear long sleeve breathable shirts and pants.
Electronic ear pro, electronic plugs are comfortable
Wear a boonie hat.
Sun screen and lip balm.
Alternate water and sports drinks.  Keep them cold.
Drink ​before you get thirsty.  Camelbacks w/ ice are great to have.
Cold fruits like oranges, nectarines, etc are a blessing
Have a good lunch.
Get in the shade and sit down at every chance
Keep the morale up.

Small problems don't seem like much but they add up and make you physically and mentally miserable.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2021, 07:04:04 AM »

Trying new stuff on range days, and worried about the runs?  You can try just drinking more water the night before and morning of.  No need be any fancy supplements or anything.  I typically just drink water anyways.  I don't like sugary drinks. 

I've tried Pocari Sweat before, and another similar drink that was supposed to be for or what that Australian swimmer (Thorpedo or something like that) drank.  I didn't think they were performance drinks, or maybe a blend.

changemyoil66

« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2021, 08:29:34 AM »
Also what I did notice was that my first shot out of the holster is on the money. But follow up shots or when shooting from ready position, not so much.  It has been this way for a while.  And showed even more during the past skill builder.

I do notice the hand shaking slightly after about 3 seconds, but manageable.  Then around 7 is where I'm trying to chase the front post. The 3 seconds could be because I'm jacked up full of caffeine. Coffee in the morning.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
The camelback suggestion is a good one.  If there's some ice in it, you keep the water and your body cooler.

You might toss in a couple of medical ice packs in case you get overheated.

If you can hydrate to the point that you need to take a piss -- and the color isn't dark yellow -- then you're succeeding in staying hydrated.  if you haven't had to go for hours, and you've been drinking like a hippo, you're still losing water faster than you can take it in.

Electrolytes and sodium (salt) help you retain water, too.  Good quality sports drinks have lots of that.  Gatorade contains water, sugar, dextrose, citric acid, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, gum arabic, glycerol ester of rosin along with flavorings.  The sugar provides extra carbs for immediate physical activity.

The original Gatorade was a homemade drink containing salt, sugar and lemon flavoring -- created in the 1960s for the University of Florida Gators football team.

Just some things to learn and use when you find yourself in need of hydration.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »
Also what I did notice was that my first shot out of the holster is on the money. But follow up shots or when shooting from ready position, not so much.  It has been this way for a while.  And showed even more during the past skill builder.

I do notice the hand shaking slightly after about 3 seconds, but manageable.  Then around 7 is where I'm trying to chase the front post. The 3 seconds could be because I'm jacked up full of caffeine. Coffee in the morning.
Well, you better put up a sign on your front door on your caffeine status for the day.

Has CMO has his coffee?
Yes - If you can dance around for 7 seconds, you get chance.
No - You have 3 seconds to comply

:rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
The camelback suggestion is a good one.  If there's some ice in it, you keep the water and your body cooler.

You might toss in a couple of medical ice packs in case you get overheated.

If you can hydrate to the point that you need to take a piss -- and the color isn't dark yellow -- then you're succeeding in staying hydrated.  if you haven't had to go for hours, and you've been drinking like a hippo, you're still losing water faster than you can take it in.

Electrolytes and sodium (salt) help you retain water, too.  Good quality sports drinks have lots of that.  Gatorade contains water, sugar, dextrose, citric acid, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, gum arabic, glycerol ester of rosin along with flavorings.  The sugar provides extra carbs for immediate physical activity.

The original Gatorade was a homemade drink containing salt, sugar and lemon flavoring -- created in the 1960s for the University of Florida Gators football team.

Just some things to learn and use when you find yourself in need of hydration.

I've played sports my until end of high school and never had a hydration issue. You know the kind where u go" coach, we need water break".  Then coach makes you run more.  Still never had a problem, even though I was thirsty.  Guess it means I'm getting old and body cannot handle.

Then fast forward to my 1st bodybuilding comp where you take diuretics and dont drink water.  Asking coach for water break is nothing compared to being thirsty while doing a BB comp.  Now I know what being thirsty is.  Fist thing I did after stepping off the stage wasn't eating or wiping the oil off, it was chugging water.  Then due to dehydration, I didn't take a shit for 3 days.  Like never even had the urge to go. But yet for those 3 days, I'm eating all the junks that I couldn't eat for the past 12 weeks.  Then finally, a normal shit.  But during this time, no headache or loss of focus.  The not being in the sun is probably the kicker that makes it worst.

changemyoil66

« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »
Well, you better put up a sign on your front door on your caffeine status for the day.

Has CMO has his coffee?
Yes - If you can dance around for 7 seconds, you get chance.
No - You have 3 seconds to comply

:rofl:

It's funny cause I had a few guys ask about my plate carrier and the saying is, train how you would fight. Then Mrs. CMO comes around and tells them I walk around naked at home. So plate carrier, rifle slung, war belt, and boto hanging out.  Didn't have to use the nohomo phrase, cause Mrs. CMO brought it up and not me.

drck1000

« Reply #273 on: September 28, 2021, 07:35:52 AM »
It's funny cause I had a few guys ask about my plate carrier and the saying is, train how you would fight. Then Mrs. CMO comes around and tells them I walk around naked at home. So plate carrier, rifle slung, war belt, and boto hanging out.  Didn't have to use the nohomo phrase, cause Mrs. CMO brought it up and not me.
???

:crazy:  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
Found out from mrs. Cmo, 1 of our friends was giving out the green liquid iv. I missed out.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »

Haven't tried that one on the wife yet...

drck1000

« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2021, 07:43:17 PM »
Found out from mrs. Cmo, 1 of our friends was giving out the green liquid iv. I missed out.

changemyoil66

« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2021, 09:16:51 AM »
Picked up some Liquid IV Pasion Fruit.  Walmart didn't have Strawberry in stock.  This is my 2nd trip there, went a few days ago and only had the green box, which has some immunity stuff in it.  All others were sold out or at least not stocked.

Town Walmart sucks. Their shelves are out of stock on more items than there should be.  This was even precovid too.  Compared to the Vegas Walmart that has full shelves and nicely organized.  Vegas Walmart was more like a Target, shelves full.  Haven't been to other locations so can't compare.

drck1000

« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2021, 09:26:38 AM »
Picked up some Liquid IV Pasion Fruit.  Walmart didn't have Strawberry in stock.  This is my 2nd trip there, went a few days ago and only had the green box, which has some immunity stuff in it.  All others were sold out or at least not stocked.

Town Walmart sucks. Their shelves are out of stock on more items than there should be.  This was even precovid too.  Compared to the Vegas Walmart that has full shelves and nicely organized.  Vegas Walmart was more like a Target, shelves full.  Haven't been to other locations so can't compare.
I haven't been to a LOT of Walmarts around the country, but the ones that I've seen are quite similar to the town Walmart.  The Pearl City one is a bit better than the town one in terms of overall stock, organization, etc.  But I think it depends on the "types" of people that frequent the particular Walmart.  The Walmart in Anchorage, AK was VERY interesting.  Anchorage is interesting in general. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »
I haven't been to a LOT of Walmarts around the country, but the ones that I've seen are quite similar to the town Walmart.  The Pearl City one is a bit better than the town one in terms of overall stock, organization, etc.  But I think it depends on the "types" of people that frequent the particular Walmart.  The Walmart in Anchorage, AK was VERY interesting.  Anchorage is interesting in general.

And "types" of workers.