Vacuum sealing medical kits (Read 1802 times)

zippz

Vacuum sealing medical kits
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »
Have you noticed if vacuum sealing your medical kits prolong their longevity?  Usually the packaging fails before the product is not good even past the expiration date.  My combat gauze packaging either gets small holes or the package delaminates.  Same with the Israeli bandages and other stuff.

My NAR med kit came vacuum sealed but lost its deal after a couple years.  Wondering if I should bother sealing it again.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

6716J

Re: Vacuum sealing medical kits
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »
Have you noticed if vacuum sealing your medical kits prolong their longevity?  Usually the packaging fails before the product is not good even past the expiration date.  My combat gauze packaging either gets small holes or the package delaminates.  Same with the Israeli bandages and other stuff.

My NAR med kit came vacuum sealed but lost its deal after a couple years.  Wondering if I should bother sealing it again.

It may be worthwhile to use your home vacuum sealer to add a double layer around it. Just give the sides a slit to start ripping it if you feel the need or make long so your shears or knife can cut it without damaging the contents
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
Are there vacuum seal bags that are meant to protect contents from UV?  I notice that a lot of med supplies that I had for when I was taking care of my dad degrades (discoloration, breakdown of packaging, adhesives less effective, etc) from UV.  And it's not like the supplies were under constant direct exposure.  UV in Hawaii is no joke. 

zippz

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
Are there vacuum seal bags that are meant to protect contents from UV?  I notice that a lot of med supplies that I had for when I was taking care of my dad degrades (discoloration, breakdown of packaging, adhesives less effective, etc) from UV.  And it's not like the supplies were under constant direct exposure.  UV in Hawaii is no joke.

Good point.  There are mylar vacuum bags which I assume would block UV.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »

tinfoil...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »

Watched a movie last night involving a prepper and his online courses for SHTF survival.

He was storing rice in a 5 gal bucket lined with a large mylar bag.  He ironed the openings to seal it up.  Mylar film creates an airtight liner.  The material is not made of the same biodegradable plastic as many items, so it will probably outlast the bucket.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »
I seal all my "Bullets and Beans" in Mylar.
Airtight, waterproof and UV resistant and very durable.
You need to cut a "V'' on an edge so it's easy to rip open otherwise you need to cut it.
It can then be somewhat sealed with a lighter
I have a machine for sealing which works much better than an iron or lighter and keep a stash of 1 gallon bags.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
I have some mylar bags (at least I think) for a couple of rifles for long term storage.  I know many folks vacuum seal their ammo for storage. 

tinfoil...
Too valuable commodity right now. . .  probably worth more than TP as the conspiracy nuts buying it all up.  Need to line their homes.   ;D