AR optic of choice (Read 23471 times)

drck1000

Re: AR optic of choice
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Holosun was also an option, but went with the Sightmark.  we'll see how it shoots.  I think they are both LED light system and not holograph like EOtech.  LED supposed to be more clear to look at than holosight. 

I actually have more Aimpoints than EoTechs, even though EoTech is my current favorite.  It's not like I don't like Aimpoints.  They are very solid for sure.  If I bought a Holosun, I'd have to get another upper.   ;D

aaronc5362

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
Yup you nailed it. But my color blindness is only green and orange. I mean i can tell the difference between a lime and orange by color alone, but if its 2 shades the are very similar i cannot. Especially if its lil dots that form a number. I had that for my customs test. You can find the test online. Im also cross eye dominant. Which is why i prefer red dots over scopes. But a month or 2 ago, i was fucking around with my optics and if i cant the rifle enough with a 1.8" or higher mount, i can use my lpvo with my dominant eye lol. And my acog!!! So i been switching my mounts to 1.93 or 2.1 (risers i had laying around with high rings or medium)

Ive never tried a green eotech cause idk anyone who has it, i had the red version. It was more like a washout. During dusk i can see it outside at buildings and such, like maybe 6 or 7pm as of today. But if its like noon or 2 or 3pm at kokohead and im at the rifle bench shooting. I just cannot. Ive tried the 512 or 518, dont remember and it was a bit better. I sold the eotech to my friend, he used it on his duty rifle then switched to an lpvo. Sat in his safe for prob 2 years then gave it back to me. In return i gave him a mrds. Then the reticle was half gone, on a new battery. Emailed eotech and they took care of it free of charge.  Tried it again and still washout for me. Sat in my safe, then the whole eotech buy back happened. Got my refund.

Bought an h2. Or the mro. I cant remember.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:03:13 PM by aaronc5362 »

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
Yup you nailed it. But my color blindness is only green and orange. I mean i can tell the difference between a lime and orange by color alone, but if its 2 shades the are very similar i cannot. Especially if its lil dots that form a number. I had that for my customs test. You can find the test online. Im also cross eye dominant. Which is why i prefer red dots over scopes. But a month or 2 ago, i was fucking around with my optics and if i cant the rifle enough with a 1.8" or higher mount, i can use my lpvo with my dominant eye lol. And my acog!!! So i been switching my mounts to 1.93 or 2.1 (risers i had laying around with high rings or medium)

Ive never tried a green eotech cause idk anyone who has it, i had the red version. It was more like a washout. During dusk i can see it outside at buildings and such, like maybe 5pm as of today. But if its like noon or 2 or 3pm at kokohead and im at the rifle bench shooting. I just cannot. Ive tried the 512 or 518, dont remember and it was a bit better. I sold the eotech to my friend, he used it on his duty rifle then switched to an lpvo. Sat in his safe for prob 2 years then gave it back to me. In return i gave him a mrds. Then the reticle was half gone, on a new battery. Emailed eotech and they took care of it free of charge.  Tried it again and still washout for me. Sat in my safe, then the whole eotech buy back happened. Got my refund.

Bought an h2. Or the mro. I cant remember.
Ahh, gotcha.  I had one coworker that was where red and grey were very similar.  He could usually tell difference if the were apart or another color was in between.  Our office used red markups on a grey background.  One day I was reviewing what I had marked up and he was like "I can't see anything".  I totally thought he was messing with me.  That's when he finally shared that he had difficulty telling red and grey apart.  He wasn't comfortable telling people that, so he just sort of guessed at times.  I've actually met quite a number of people who are color indifferent (for lack of better term). 

I recall there was a dot optic where you could switch between red and green.  I know I've seen green with Holosun and I believe EoTech came out with one somewhat recently.  I recall seeing a review on YouTube.  Either MrGunsngear or Garand Thumb.  For me, I've been using red FO front sight for handguns, but I've been wanting to try green.  I was shooting friend's gun with the Truglo TFO red front and green rear.  I swear the green was practically burning my eyes.  Haha.

How the human eyes and vision works has always been interesting to me.  Cones, rods, peripheral vision, etc.  How one's vision works or changes going from daylight to night is another.  The Golden hour.  With the riser, were you having trouble seeing when your head position is more craned forward (the Magpul tactical scorpion)?  Where your eyes are sort of as if you were looking upward at the ceiling? 

aaronc5362

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
Its all good. Yeah same problem as your coworker, if its together and close in color i cant tell the difference haha.  Actually funny thing is i feel more comfortable with my head more straight up. For the longest time i have neck problems. Prob from past fights, car accidents. Ive been in alot of accidents. I was young and dumb. 4 accidents airbags deployed lol. 1 i was hanging of tantaulus, no bs literally. There was no ground under my driverside front ans rear tire. Yea you can guess what i was doing. I usually sleep on the floor, no pillow, just a once folded towel and carpet. And to me thats a good nights rest. I dont feel anything except tightness between my spine and right shoulder blade. Anyways, it feels rather comfortable. I never shot prone and ill keep my msr/spr with low rings, im gonna make it a range gun. Id trust it for shtf tho.

I've yet to shoot it with these higher mounts/ riser mount combos cause of covid19 and always working weekends, bur i feel i can get use to it quickly. Plus i can see over my otal! Before it was half way into my red dot, but it clears now haha. Win win situation. I had no real reason for it, bought it cause it looked coooooool. I just remember i bought it from a tax return 3 or 4 years ago. It was a super good deal too. Like 400 shipped with something else i needed and it gave me free shipping. Back then i think it was 500+.

A decent laser is good for home defense too. Make the guy think twice hahaha jk. I recently bought a bcm mk2 upper. So its gonna find itself on there now. Along with acog and rmr. The laser will be my "regular buis"

stangzilla

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
changed my mind.  going with the Holosun 510c  :thumbsup:

aaronc5362

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Nice choice. I love alabama arsenal's reciew the most. It appeared a pellet hit the brightness setting buttons. So i can only make an assumption, that even without the titanium shroud it would handle pretty good as well.

If you dont already know, holosun uses grade 5 titanium for all their titanium products. Atleast a rep told me that.

Its several steps above 7075t6 in almost every way possible. Had to google the properties of both and if the rep is telling me the truth that it is grade 5, then damn pretty strong shit compared to 6061 or 7075 products that costs twice as much. Internally i cant say if its "battle ready" cause im no genius when it comes to that.

stangzilla

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 05:08:53 PM »
Nice choice. I love alabama arsenal's reciew the most. It appeared a pellet hit the brightness setting buttons. So i can only make an assumption, that even without the titanium shroud it would handle pretty good as well.

If you dont already know, holosun uses grade 5 titanium for all their titanium products. Atleast a rep told me that.

Its several steps above 7075t6 in almost every way possible. Had to google the properties of both and if the rep is telling me the truth that it is grade 5, then damn pretty strong shit compared to 6061 or 7075 products that costs twice as much. Internally i cant say if its "battle ready" cause im no genius when it comes to that.

i'm sure it will be more than durable for what I need it for.  but good to know it is a tough optic.  the battery life is great too.   :shaka:

robtmc

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
I realize red dots and holos are for large target use, not precision.  My limited trial of a cheaper Sightmark on an accurate air rifle yielded worse groups than I get with a Williams aperture.

A temporary lashup with an EOTech 512 showed the SM had a big parallax problem, the EOT only a little if forced by extreme off axis head placement.   I was under the impression they were very tolerant of eye position.   The SM and EOT are clearly different tech, but I wonder if the parallax issues track with the design and are unavoidable on those with the same layout?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:51:37 PM by robtmc »

robtmc

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
changed my mind.  going with the Holosun 510c  :thumbsup:
Those seemed to be advertisements for the Holosun, not comparisons with an EOTech.   

tim808

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
Op,
Good choice on going red dot for hd and range fun.  Easy to acquire target

I just use regular iron sights for hd ars. 

I tend to lean to lpvo for range use and field use ars. 

I’m think I’m going to try a red dot too (and buis) for field use to shave a little weight off the Ar (And also lose 50 lbs)

aaronc5362

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2020, 05:46:11 AM »
Eveything will have some sort of parallax. Anything that goes through lenses, especially curved/angled lenses and thick lenses. I believe eotech had the least amount tho compared to the t1, which was 1 reason why it won the first contract with the military many many many years ago. But the t2 has a more angular lens that helps with dot blurriness and parallax (supposedly). I sold my h1 and got an h2. And yes i can see the difference in the angle. The dot looks like a dot ;  not a comma on both to me So cant help you there . Nor have a tried a parallax comparison. So 🤷‍♂️

Wise men company did a comparison between hs510 and eotech 512 or 518, i forget. Of course thats just 1 guy. So sample size is small, but others on youtube also have.  Consesus that i have seen are people are switching to holosun due to cost/ battery life/ battery type/ reticle option/ durability(seems similar on both). The only ones who i have watched who chooses eotechs are eotech die hard fans. They dont even have an aimpoint, which has been proven to be 1 of the best out there. But just the battery life and type alone, ill take a holosun. Only downside is that you need a tool to take batery out of the 510. I think they are gonna make a "qd" type battery compartment latch, but dont quote me on that.

There are some people who hit 300 yards (no magnifier) and up to 500 yards (magnified) with red dots. I aint one of them haha. Im comfortable up to 200 (maybe 300) yards unmagnified tho. I can see people up to 500 yards away with my naked eye. I wish kokohead would put those 300 and 400 yard targets back up so i could try.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:53:42 AM by aaronc5362 »

stangzilla

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »
Eveything will have some sort of parallax. Anything that goes through lenses, especially curved/angled lenses and thick lenses. I believe eotech had the least amount tho compared to the t1, which was 1 reason why it won the first contract with the military many many many years ago. But the t2 has a more angular lens that helps with dot blurriness and parallax (supposedly). I sold my h1 and got an h2. And yes i can see the difference in the angle. The dot looks like a dot ;  not a comma on both to me So cant help you there . Nor have a tried a parallax comparison. So 🤷‍♂️

Wise men company did a comparison between hs510 and eotech 512 or 518, i forget. Of course thats just 1 guy. So sample size is small, but others on youtube also have.  Consesus that i have seen are people are switching to holosun due to cost/ battery life/ battery type/ reticle option/ durability(seems similar on both). The only ones who i have watched who chooses eotechs are eotech die hard fans. They dont even have an aimpoint, which has been proven to be 1 of the best out there. But just the battery life and type alone, ill take a holosun. Only downside is that you need a tool to take batery out of the 510. I think they are gonna make a "qd" type battery compartment latch, but dont quote me on that.

There are some people who hit 300 yards (no magnifier) and up to 500 yards (magnified) with red dots. I aint one of them haha. Im comfortable up to 200 (maybe 300) yards unmagnified tho. I can see people up to 500 yards away with my naked eye. I wish kokohead would put those 300 and 400 yard targets back up so i could try.

this AR with the Holosun will be for up close up to under 100 yards. I have a different AR for further out. eventually I want to get one more optic for in between like a LPVO, although I already have a LPVO optic but I want to upgrade it. a man can't live with just 1 AR   ;)

aaronc5362

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
I feel ya stang. 1 ar is just pointless.  But depending on how i feel i may sell all my ar15s and pick up all shottys! Haha. I could prob get up to 9 shottys (prob 870s and 500s)

As much as this sound bad or good depending on your pov.

I want this new bill to pass. 2k per month stimulus checks. Itll be extra money for me. Thats very selfish of me saying that tho. I do feel bad for the unemployed. I hope everyone gets their job back soon. Like have a slow economic growth for a few months while everyone has a job again.

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
this AR with the Holosun will be for up close up to under 100 yards. I have a different AR for further out. eventually I want to get one more optic for in between like a LPVO, although I already have a LPVO optic but I want to upgrade it. a man can't live with just 1 AR   ;)
I want to take this course for “extended range carbine” that I’ve been eyeing for a while. It’s end of this month and on the east coast. No traveling for me by then. I would shoot my LPVO. It seems like a popular class, so hopefully will be offered again. The group I’ve been shooting with locally also has been trying to setup something with longer distances mixed in. All these plans were ramping up just prior to this pandemic though.

If I got into rolling my own ammo, I would expand to a 6.something caliber to mix in. 

GlockNewb

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
Red-dots for me, it’s difficult to justify SD shooting beyond 50 yds, especially in Hawaii. The InRangeTV video convinced me of my choice (see 6:15 of the video) —>

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

robtmc

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
I hear you.

Were I to overcome my firearms phobia, one AR in 7.62mm with large optic and one 5.56mm for less than 300 yds would seem to be good.  The 5.56 could either be holo sights or irons, I know I can hit 300+ yards easy with an aperture sight, 500 when i was 18.  50+ years later, hitting at 500 might be an issue with irons.   No experiences with 5.56mm at that range.  The 7.62mm is a known quantity.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:09:07 PM by robtmc »

Influence

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
For a pure defensive rifle that would see range use from time to time, I’d personally be using an RDS and grab a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope to check groupings since Koko Head is limited to100 yards.  For hard use, I trust aimpoint the most but like the eotech reticle.  I’m also a fan of Holosun for a more budgetary rds.  I think they’ve made their mark in the market and have proven to be fairly rugged.

That being said, I’m in the process of wanting to build a shtf rifle.  I’ll be putting an LVPO on it and am contemplating a top or offset mounted mrds.  For that type of build, I’m looking for something that is reliable, great at 1x, clear glass and daylight bright.  Money no object, I’d probably be looking at a Kahles K16i, Nightforce ATACR, or Gen III razor.  At around $1,000, I’d be looking at a used Razor Gen II E, maybe a a trijicon credo 1-6 sfp, or others in that range.  At around $500-600, I’d be looking at the Steiner p4xi, vortex viper pst gen II 1-6, and the Swampfox Arrowhead 1-8 or 1-10.

drck1000

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
For a pure defensive rifle that would see range use from time to time, I’d personally be using an RDS and grab a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope to check groupings since Koko Head is limited to100 yards.  For hard use, I trust aimpoint the most but like the eotech reticle.  I’m also a fan of Holosun for a more budgetary rds.  I think they’ve made their mark in the market and have proven to be fairly rugged.

That being said, I’m in the process of wanting to build a shtf rifle.  I’ll be putting an LVPO on it and am contemplating a top or offset mounted mrds.  For that type of build, I’m looking for something that is reliable, great at 1x, clear glass and daylight bright.  Money no object, I’d probably be looking at a Kahles K16i, Nightforce ATACR, or Gen III razor.  At around $1,000, I’d be looking at a used Razor Gen II E, maybe a a trijicon credo 1-6 sfp, or others in that range.  At around $500-600, I’d be looking at the Steiner p4xi, vortex viper pst gen II 1-6, and the Swampfox Arrowhead 1-8 or 1-10.
Money no object LPVO? :hmm:  ;D

Add:
S&B Short Dot (and other options, depending on availability)
US Optics
Premier

Kahles and Nightforce already on your list.  Leupold has good options as well. 

For SHTF, weight comes to mind for me.  I haven't had my LPVO setup that long, but it's heavy, or at least heavier than any of my 1x RDS setups.  Only shot the LPVO setup once in a class, but it was noticeably heavier.

Influence

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
Money no object LPVO? :hmm:  ;D

Add:
S&B Short Dot (and other options, depending on availability)
US Optics
Premier

Kahles and Nightforce already on your list.  Leupold has good options as well. 

For SHTF, weight comes to mind for me.  I haven't had my LPVO setup that long, but it's heavy, or at least heavier than any of my 1x RDS setups.  Only shot the LPVO setup once in a class, but it was noticeably heavier.

Indeed, the whole build has me to the point of paralysis currently with both the rifle and the optic.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a money is no object budget and will likely do a Gen II Razor or some type of red dot with a QD magnifier

Neesh

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »
For me and my old eyes I'm contemplating between the primary arms GLX 2x or the Swampfox blade. Need something with an adjustable diopter...also fan of the ACSS reticle so kinda leaning more towards the PA GLX....not too sure about the Blades BRC and worried it may throw me off in a CQB situation. The rest of my ARs have a LPVO of various makes and power