First 1911 in 45 (Read 73895 times)

Heavies

Re: First 1911 in 45
« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2022, 01:35:22 PM »
Ride the safety. It’s not going to bite. And it reminds you to swipe the safety off while shooting.

changemyoil66

« Reply #621 on: May 03, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »
Ride the safety. It’s not going to bite. And it reminds you to swipe the safety off while shooting.

If it does, you gotta be there with bandaid and TQ.  :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2022, 01:46:50 PM »
No slide bite yet, but I can see this happening when I ride the thumb safety as the slide will be moving much faster than what I can accomplish by just racking it..  And not as bad as the Glock bite though.

My VP9, I used to have the riding the slide release problem. So now I make sure my thumb is on the webbing of my support hand.
Just shoot the darn thing. . .

The gun has the beavertail, so should be just fine. 

Maybe he wants "her" to bite him. . .  ;D

WTF?Shane

« Reply #623 on: May 03, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »
Just shoot the darn thing. . .

Yup

macsak

« Reply #624 on: May 05, 2022, 11:28:11 AM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2022, 12:11:04 PM »

Debating to watch right now.  Still got 10 more days until I can shoot for the 1st time (HRA open shoot).  Idle hands and like the others stated, just get out and shoot.

drck1000

« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
Debating to watch right now.  Still got 10 more days until I can shoot for the 1st time (HRA open shoot).  Idle hands and like the others stated, just get out and shoot.
It's not your "idle hands" that I believe are the issue. . .  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2022, 12:32:31 PM »
It's not your "idle hands" that I believe are the issue. . .  ;D

No focus among other stuff.

oldfart

« Reply #628 on: May 05, 2022, 12:37:37 PM »
m45 has all the basic stuff done already...supposedly

Problem with new guns is sometimes the internals aren't as well polished as they could be.
It depends on the person who did the final assembly.
Even high-cost big-name guns need a little more tweaking sometimes.

I don't recommend vetting a new pistol at the open shoot.
Too much going on to focus on learning the gun or analyze problems.
Too many people offering opinions.
Number your magazines.

IMHO
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #629 on: May 15, 2022, 08:38:03 PM »
Shot the long awaited unicorn. About 320rds in 1 1/4 hours. She chewed everything, zero jams.

230gr for all, Federal, Fiocchi, Blazer, PMC Bronze and 20rds Federal HST. From wilson 10rders. Also ran a few 7rd Colt mags and no issues.

I did notice more carbon than the vp9 (9mm). Idk if cause its a tan gun or thats how 45acp is. Had carbon soot on my fingers also. Never had that with the vp9. The most i shot 9mm in 1 sitting was about 250ish. See below pics.

Also POA/POI seemed low, compared to the vp9 that ive only been shooting for 6 years now. At 15 yards, was like 5 inches low. Its prob the indian cause on a few that i 4got to take the safety off, the flinch was huge. Aiming with the front post higher (see pic below and far right example) seemed to help. I need to figure this out, mental block problem. For a 10r mag, like 3 were dead center and almost same hole and the other 7 were 5 inches low. Which leads me to believe its the indian.

The biggest getting used to is the safety. No problems engaging it when not shooting, its the forgetting to take it off when ready to shoot or taking it off when cocked and locked with no mag inserted. So i damn near bust my wrist trying to rack the slide after inserting a mag (u must disengage safety to rack).

Finger placement on the trigger seems more forgiving. With the vp9, too much finger and i yank the shot noticably.

Overall a fun gun that i will be shooting much more. Got choke ammo still. Next handgun skill builder, i will be using her instead of the vp9.

Thanks to all who followed this and helped along the way.

Mrs.cmo tried it and wasnt a fan. She does like our friends shadow 2 she shot today.
Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #630 on: May 16, 2022, 07:20:36 AM »
I think the more carbon is due to the tan/FDE color.  its just more noticeable with the lighter color of the gun

the POI being low is probably due to a flinch, or rather you are wired to shoot 9mm out of your VP9
this a guess on my part.  but I believe you have muscle memory tuned to your VP9 and 9mm after shooting tens of thousands of rounds with this combo.  the grip angle is different, the 45acp is different, the weight of the gun is different
my first 1911 I was shooting way low at 25 yards.  maybe 6-8 inches consistently.  I was certain that the front sight was too tall making me shoot low.  threw on a laser bore sighter and just pointed it at the wall, in a safe direction of course, as I pulled the trigger I could see the laser move low.  then I knew it wasn't the front sight that was causing the low POI, it was me and my flinch
I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but maybe.  different gun, different ammo, different grip angle
that's my guess   :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #631 on: May 16, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »
Shot the long awaited unicorn. About 320rds in 1 1/4 hours. She chewed everything, zero jams.

230gr for all, Federal, Fiocchi, Blazer, PMC Bronze and 20rds Federal HST. From wilson 10rders. Also ran a few 7rd Colt mags and no issues.

I did notice more carbon than the vp9 (9mm). Idk if cause its a tan gun or thats how 45acp is. Had carbon soot on my fingers also. Never had that with the vp9. The most i shot 9mm in 1 sitting was about 250ish. See below pics.

Also POA/POI seemed low, compared to the vp9 that ive only been shooting for 6 years now. At 15 yards, was like 5 inches low. Its prob the indian cause on a few that i 4got to take the safety off, the flinch was huge. Aiming with the front post higher (see pic below and far right example) seemed to help. I need to figure this out, mental block problem. For a 10r mag, like 3 were dead center and almost same hole and the other 7 were 5 inches low. Which leads me to believe its the indian.

The biggest getting used to is the safety. No problems engaging it when not shooting, its the forgetting to take it off when ready to shoot or taking it off when cocked and locked with no mag inserted. So i damn near bust my wrist trying to rack the slide after inserting a mag (u must disengage safety to rack).

Finger placement on the trigger seems more forgiving. With the vp9, too much finger and i yank the shot noticably.

Overall a fun gun that i will be shooting much more. Got choke ammo still. Next handgun skill builder, i will be using her instead of the vp9.

Thanks to all who followed this and helped along the way.

Mrs.cmo tried it and wasnt a fan. She does like our friends shadow 2 she shot today.
Sight, safety, trigger.  Not only for 1911, but very much applies for 1911s. 

Why do you have your gun cocked (assume chamber empty) with safety on?   ???  It will be just fine with chamber empty and hammer down. 

One thing to also notice is the different trigger mechanisms.  Lever/pivot vs straight back.  The low POI is a headscratcher though. 

Good that you're shooting it, and shooting it quite a lot and not babying it.  Good that it fed the JHP well, and the variety of FMJ you shot. 

drck1000

« Reply #632 on: May 16, 2022, 07:31:09 AM »
I think the more carbon is due to the tan/FDE color.  its just more noticeable with the lighter color of the gun

the POI being low is probably due to a flinch, or rather you are wired to shoot 9mm out of your VP9
this a guess on my part.  but I believe you have muscle memory tuned to your VP9 and 9mm after shooting tens of thousands of rounds with this combo.  the grip angle is different, the 45acp is different, the weight of the gun is different
my first 1911 I was shooting way low at 25 yards.  maybe 6-8 inches consistently.  I was certain that the front sight was too tall making me shoot low.  threw on a laser bore sighter and just pointed it at the wall, in a safe direction of course, as I pulled the trigger I could see the laser move low.  then I knew it wasn't the front sight that was causing the low POI, it was me and my flinch
I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but maybe.  different gun, different ammo, different grip angle
"Inconceivable!"

But seriously, change in triggers, particularly different configuration or nicer triggers can take time to adjust to.  It is masking of getting used to?  Probably both.  I just know that I have to be careful when shooting say a stock Glock 17 and then my CZ Shadow 2, and vice versa. 

stangzilla

« Reply #633 on: May 16, 2022, 08:05:38 AM »
when I shoot polymer handguns, I find myself pushing forward with my right shoulder, maybe bc the polymer frame is lighter and its a little more snappy than a 1911
when shooting a 1911, I find myself more relaxed in the right shoulder.  and this works better for me and not shooting low.  its like my shoulder to hands are a little different shooting 1911 vs glock-like pistol.  may be due the different grip angle
R arm is the trigger hand for me

:edit:
better description is not so much pushing more with a polymer handguns, but with the different grip angle, my shoulder slightly comes up just a bit vs when shooting a 1911
1911 grip feels more natural to me, so I feel more relaxed shooting them
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:15:17 AM by stangzilla »

changemyoil66

« Reply #634 on: May 16, 2022, 08:55:19 AM »

Why do you have your gun cocked (assume chamber empty) with safety on?   ???  It will be just fine with chamber empty and hammer down. 

One thing to also notice is the different trigger mechanisms.  Lever/pivot vs straight back.  The low POI is a headscratcher though. 

Good that you're shooting it, and shooting it quite a lot and not babying it.  Good that it fed the JHP well, and the variety of FMJ you shot.

When cocked and locked while holstered and no mag in, the hood works better. With hammer down, its more difficult to disengage the hood. The foreskin gets stuck on the back of the hammer.

I think I will have my friend at the next HDF open shoot shoot it because he is a way better shooter than I am and see if he has the low issue.  This would def help confirm that it's me. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #635 on: May 16, 2022, 08:56:21 AM »

My problem is my dry fire is on point. I line up my signts with the lines on the wall and they don't move. But when out at the range, all jam up.

stangzilla

« Reply #636 on: May 16, 2022, 09:05:10 AM »
My problem is my dry fire is on point. I line up my signts with the lines on the wall and they don't move. But when out at the range, all jam up.

then maybe you're not flinching

drck1000

« Reply #637 on: May 16, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »
then maybe you're not flinching
"expertly anticipating"  8)

Teichi

« Reply #638 on: May 16, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
My anti-flinch drill. Load 5 magazines with 4 rounds ball and 1 dummy in various sequence. Shuffle and place under towel on bench. Load without looking to see where the dummy is in the magazine. Fire until dummies is discovered in the sequence. Observe what happens and try to correct on the next magazine. Repeat for 25 years to get desired 10 ring count.

changemyoil66

« Reply #639 on: May 16, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
My anti-flinch drill. Load 5 magazines with 4 rounds ball and 1 dummy in various sequence. Shuffle and place under towel on bench. Load without looking to see where the dummy is in the magazine. Fire until dummies is discovered in the sequence. Observe what happens and try to correct on the next magazine. Repeat for 25 years to get desired 10 ring count.

Today will be day 0 of 9,125.