10 biggest excuses for not prepping (Read 3637 times)

macsak

10 biggest excuses for not prepping
« on: May 20, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »

Rocky

Re: 10 biggest excuses for not prepping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »

He forgot ...

"I'll just come stay with you.   :D
 :wacko:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »
He forgot ...

"I'll just come stay with you.   :D
 :wacko:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TFTI

macsak

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
I hear #9 as an excuse a lot.  But I often wonder if these people who use #9 really mean it when the shit literally hits the fan.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

aletheuo137

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
Smelly deplorable #10 shopper!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 02:03:30 PM »
I tell all my friends that they don't have to spend $500 at 1 time. But buy little here and little there.  I've been picking up 1 gallon of Evian water every other trip to the market until I hit my needed amount.

Same thing I did with ammo precovid. Buy 1 or 2 boxes here, then a few there. That way you're not spending $200 at 1 crack for a case of 9mm.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »
I tell all my friends that they don't have to spend $500 at 1 time. But buy little here and little there.  I've been picking up 1 gallon of Evian water every other trip to the market until I hit my needed amount.

Same thing I did with ammo precovid. Buy 1 or 2 boxes here, then a few there. That way you're not spending $200 at 1 crack for a case of 9mm.

Ah!  Sweet memories!   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »

Or how about you stop paying "buku" bucks for purple gun accessories. . .  :o  :rofl:

I dunno about the ammo thing, even pre-COVID.  I guess it depends where you're getting the single boxes of ammo and how much.  I've seen them as high as 1.5x the bulk ammo price.  That will add up.  To each his/her/it/shit own, but I think having a basic amount and then holding out for bulk deals (again, at least when this ammo crap subsides) is wiser. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »
Or how about you stop paying "buku" bucks for purple gun accessories. . .  :o  :rofl:

I dunno about the ammo thing, even pre-COVID.  I guess it depends where you're getting the single boxes of ammo and how much.  I've seen them as high as 1.5x the bulk ammo price.  That will add up.  To each his/her/it/shit own, but I think having a basic amount and then holding out for bulk deals (again, at least when this ammo crap subsides) is wiser.

Most people would agree from a financial standpoint that range ammo is much cheaper in bulk at any given point in time.

But, if you're prepping for SHTF, wouldn't you be more inclined to buy SD or HD ammo? 

I know round nose ammo can be effective, but not as effective as JHP. 

Then again, if we're talking .357/.38SP, .223/5.56 and so on, the ammo available in bulk is often the same type I'd consider appropriate for SD/HD.

I guess caliber matters when comparing bulk prices versus SHTF suitability.
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 12:09:12 PM »
I have this concern that ammo prices will not come down, but will remain high or even go higher.

That's because that old man in the oval office playing POTUS might make things difficult.  For manufacturers, dealers, and gun owners.

So I'm always torn between "Buy now?  Buy later?"
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

Pre COVID, a box of 115gr 9mm was like $12-$13 on sale often.  Usually Blazer or Armscor.  Non sale price for Blazer was like $16.  I've even seen Armscor go for $10 a box.  Federal was usually in the $18+ prices.

223 for a box of 20 was going for like $12.  And again, Federal would be a lot more.

Armscor was my go to.  At the gun show, I would buy a case of 223 for $300.

I can't say no to the purple stuff.  She just got a new OWB holster for her P10C after being advised in her CO conference that having the punisher logo might get her into trouble that is on her current holster.  So now she has a purple carbon fiber with a clear front and mag carrier to match.  I'll post pics later. I did mention the logo to her before, but it took more of an expert to drive the point home.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »

It's like gambling. Betting large on the hand or betting small. Then hitting a good hand/dice roll and you only bet small.  There is no way I'm paying $800 for a case of 223. But I may spend equal amount buying in smaller batches.  But it all comes down to budget and how much you're going to shoot.  With COVID last year, I only really shot twice.  Once in March at a HDF skill builder, then another in June at the next skill  builder.  Compared to normally every month shooting.

The biggest round count this year so far was Mrs.CMO taking classes in CO at the women's conference.  She fired about 800 rounds.  But she was able to order ammo online and have it shipped to the range at a reasonable price.

aletheuo137

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »

Buy now! Reload later!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
I have this concern that ammo prices will not come down, but will remain high or even go higher.

That's because that old man in the oval office playing POTUS might make things difficult.  For manufacturers, dealers, and gun owners.

If you're familiar with Dollar-Cost Averaging as it applies to investments, you can apply it to buying ammo, too.

Example:  I buy 1,000 rds of whatever kind of ammo at $700.  That is what I "need" now.

Before that 1.000 rds is depleted, I find similar ammo of that caliber for $500.  I buy that, too.  Now I have over my 1,000 rds minimum, if that's where I established my "need" for range visits.

A couple of months later, I snag another 1,000 rounds for $350 -- half the price of the first bulk buy.  I now have around 2,000 rds in my stash.

Doing an average cost, that's $700+$500+$350 = $1,550.  Divide by 3 = $516.67 per case.

So, you've effectively dropped the $700 case's price by almost $200 just by continuing to buy as the price gets better over time.  This means you may have to be quick to jump on cheaper ammo deals before you miss out.  Of course, if you balked at the $500 case, you could have purchased 2 cases at $350, making the average cost $466.67 per case.

It really depends on the price trends and your needs.  But, if you can do this, you'll take the "sting" out of buying high before the prices start to fall.

Worked for me after the previous crazy ammo shortage.  I stocked up as the prices continued to fall.  That's how I had extra to sell as the prices rose again.  That more than made up for the high prices I paid during that shortage.

Just something to think about when prices start to fall.
-- Melvin Udall

aaronc5362

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »
Pre COVID, a box of 115gr 9mm was like $12-$13 on sale often.  Usually Blazer or Armscor.  Non sale price for Blazer was like $16.  I've even seen Armscor go for $10 a box.  Federal was usually in the $18+ prices.

223 for a box of 20 was going for like $12.  And again, Federal would be a lot more.

Uhh i remember and still have that sticky tag that american eagle 147g fmj was 13.99 from sechawaii, precovid of course :(

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »
Most people would agree from a financial standpoint that range ammo is much cheaper in bulk at any given point in time.

But, if you're prepping for SHTF, wouldn't you be more inclined to buy SD or HD ammo? 

I know round nose ammo can be effective, but not as effective as JHP. 

Then again, if we're talking .357/.38SP, .223/5.56 and so on, the ammo available in bulk is often the same type I'd consider appropriate for SD/HD.

I guess caliber matters when comparing bulk prices versus SHTF suitability.
Yeah, my comments were from a bulk/range ammo perspective.  Personally, I treat "procurement" of range fodder and HD ammo differently.  I do try to buy the HD in bulk, but the sales by cases are harder to find.  So I typically buy HD ammo in chunks/groups.  Usually not by the case. 

SHTF?  I would say whatever goes.  Maybe because I already have the range, my perspective is jaded.  For SHTF, I would say "any" reliable ammo is what I'd want. 

Good point on the type of ammo as well.  In my post to CMO, I was thinking 9, which I def have separate range fodder and HD.  I have mostly SP and JHP for many of my revolvers, so I'd consider them all around. 

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »

I can't say no to the purple stuff.  She just got a new OWB holster for her P10C after being advised in her CO conference that having the punisher logo might get her into trouble that is on her current holster.  So now she has a purple carbon fiber with a clear front and mag carrier to match.  I'll post pics later. I did mention the logo to her before, but it took more of an expert to drive the point home.
Back in the day, I my threshold was 0.20/round 9 and 0.30ish per round for 5.56/.223.  I think last time I bought just prior to COVID I was able to find 9 in the 0.20-0.22 ish per round range.  I was able to get some great deals at one of the gun shows just prior to COVID crap.  Now? I don't even want to know. . .

I've tried Armscor 9 and .223 and they are a resounding meh to me.  Maybe the batch that my buddies bought were an anomaly. 

Happy wifey, happy CMOy.   :rofl: I was mostly kidding.  But if you're paying a premium on purple stuffs. . .  :shake:

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »

Uhh i remember and still have that sticky tag that american eagle 147g fmj was 13.99 from sechawaii, precovid of course :(

I have some of my dad's stash, many with Honsport tags.  I'd have to look, but prices were awesome back then.  I think some of the ammo ranges were in the early 70s to late 80s timeframe.  My dad was in to the .38/.357 and .44 stuff.  I enjoy shooting those, but not as much as 9, 5.56, etc.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
If you're familiar with Dollar-Cost Averaging as it applies to investments, you can apply it to buying ammo, too.

Example:  I buy 1,000 rds of whatever kind of ammo at $700.  That is what I "need" now.

Before that 1.000 rds is depleted, I find similar ammo of that caliber for $500.  I buy that, too.  Now I have over my 1,000 rds minimum, if that's where I established my "need" for range visits.

A couple of months later, I snag another 1,000 rounds for $350 -- half the price of the first bulk buy.  I now have around 2,000 rds in my stash.

Doing an average cost, that's $700+$500+$350 = $1,550.  Divide by 3 = $516.67 per case.

So, you've effectively dropped the $700 case's price by almost $200 just by continuing to buy as the price gets better over time.  This means you may have to be quick to jump on cheaper ammo deals before you miss out.  Of course, if you balked at the $500 case, you could have purchased 2 cases at $350, making the average cost $466.67 per case.

It really depends on the price trends and your needs.  But, if you can do this, you'll take the "sting" out of buying high before the prices start to fall.

Worked for me after the previous crazy ammo shortage.  I stocked up as the prices continued to fall.  That's how I had extra to sell as the prices rose again.  That more than made up for the high prices I paid during that shortage.

Just something to think about when prices start to fall.
I never thought about taking the average. That will help a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk