Weird request (Read 537 times)

Brystont1

Weird request
« on: September 25, 2021, 11:42:32 AM »
Aloha fellow reloaders was just wondering if anyone has an extra Dillon 550 packaging box laying around. I need to put mine into storage for a little while and I’d rather rest my baby comfortably in her foam formed box. I can throw in some cash on my end.

Mahalo!

oldfart

Re: Weird request
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Rent it out to somebody and get a positive cash flow.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
Cardboard boxes are not the best storage option in Hawaii.

I'd wrap each piece in a couple layers of butcher paper or newspaper, and spray the items and paper lightly with a rust inhibitor.  Hawaii loves to see metal rust!

The wrapping will prevent damage if it's thick enough.  No need for the Styrofoam.  If the paper isn't enough for the heavier pieces, bubble wrap works great.

For a container, I'd pick a plastic storage box with enough of a seal to keep dust and insects out.  You could also place some desiccant packs inside it to help keep moisture down.  Placing the parts in a tightly closed plastic bag would also help keep moisture, dust and insects away.

In short, you can probably come up with a better way to store the 550 than the original factory carton.   :thumbsup:   :shaka:
Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

Brystont1

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:55:36 PM »
Excellent suggestions gentlemen. Mahalo!

Hoplite

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »
The best container I found to seal out the elements is a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the big o-ring in the lid.  They sell them at Lowe’s and Home Depot.  Wrap it in your preferred bubble wrap and put a bit of oil on the unpainted bits to prevent rust and it’ll last for a long time in there.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
The best container I found to seal out the elements is a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the big o-ring in the lid.  They sell them at Lowe’s and Home Depot.  Wrap it in your preferred bubble wrap and put a bit of oil on the unpainted bits to prevent rust and it’ll last for a long time in there.
I like gamma-seal lids. It's basically a giant screw top lid for 5 gal buckets.
I use them to store dog food.
I seen them at home Depot, I think. Or from amazon.
If you want dessicant packs, I think I got plenty you can have.
They are brown bags that you bake at low temperature before deploying.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »
If you use the Homer buckets for storage, keep them away from sunlight.  UV breaks those things down damn quick!

I imagine it's the big box stores' way of being ecologically responsible, so the buckets don't last 100 years in a landfill.
Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

ren

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 01:04:51 PM »
If you use the Homer buckets for storage, keep them away from sunlight.  UV breaks those things down damn quick!

I imagine it's the big box stores' way of being ecologically responsible, so the buckets don't last 100 years in a landfill.

aww damn...

Brystont1

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 10:47:15 PM »
Mahalo everybody for the responses. I even got a bunch of pms from guys wanting to help out. Our 2A community here is awesome! Ended up just getting a plastic tote and bubble wrapping everything. Mahalo gents!