A "Good Enough" Binocular or Monocular for KHSC (Read 2205 times)

QUIETShooter

A "Good Enough" Binocular or Monocular for KHSC
« on: October 17, 2021, 09:50:01 AM »
I want to buy another binocular or possibly a monocular.  I have a tiny binocular that I originally bought for sports viewing.  It's ok for when I go to the pistol range at 25 yards.  But I want to buy a binocular or monocular that is good enough to see the bullet holes in the target at 100 yards.

Is a 10X45mm or similar enough power to see the bullet holes at 100 yards?  I also see this monocular on Amazon that is 12X50mm.

I don't want to invest in a spotting scope right now.  I'm just a casual shooter and my guns are not tack drivers anyway.  Plus a set of binoculars or monocular is great for other things like hiking, boating, and shit like that.

Any recommendations or advice will be appreciated!  Thanks! :shaka:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

Re: A "Good Enough" Binocular or Monocular for KHSC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
What caliber are you shooting?  Say .308 vs .22 lr.

What kind of targets are you using?  The shoot n' see type where the rings have contrasting color?  Or just plain paper? 

I have pretty decent quality binos in the 12x range and a higher end (Swarovski) in 10x and they are "ok" to see at 100 yards.  If you're trying to check groups or follow-up shots on say the same target, I would say something in the 20x power or more is warranted.  As least in my experience.  For .308, my scope (7-35 power) is enough and with 25x power, I can see whatever I need. I also have a spotting scope for other days when I'm not shooting with a scope and that's in the 20-60x range. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 10:05:27 AM »
Even if you don't want a spotting scope, it sounds like you want something that functions as a spotting scope.

18-36x or so will be plenty of magnification to see bullet holes at 100 yards.

A good 50mm objective will have enough resolution to see 22 bullet holes.

A 60mm, objective, though, will give you more margin for error and still be portable as well as affordable.

If you can find a scope, spotting or not, with the above recommended specs, it should work fine for your needs.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-a-spotting-scope-for-target-shooting.html

Compare that magnification with a rifle scope.  You only need 4X magnification to see a large target at 100 yds, and 4X - 20X for small targets.  Lining up a shot is very different from looking to see where the shot hit, especially when trying to differentiate 3, 4 or more rounds in a very tight group.

:thumbsup:.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
I traveled that path before and you'll be wasting money. Get a pair of binos for other things. You won't be able to see bullet holes clearly at 100 yards with a small objective that are in binos. An objective of 60mm is the least to see holes at distance. I had a Kowa 601 with a 25x eyepiece and now a Konus with an 80mm obj.  A Konus 80mm is around $200 and a good Kowa is around $800. Again objective size is just as important as magnification. Too much mag and you get mirage, short eye relief and light decreases.

Another option is a remote cam attached to your target. Raspberry Pi cams are cheap and a Rasp Pi Zero is close to free at $5. A pair of WiFi cards and you can send HD quality images to your phone. The code is open source.
https://github.com/OpenHD/Open.HD

A piece of advice. Setup your shooting position first then setup your spotting scope. I see people setup their spotter first way on one side of the table then setup their shooting position on the other side. WIth that you end up breaking position every time to spot a shot. More work and its more challenging to shoot good groups.

It is difficult to get a cheap way of seeing bullet holes at 100 yards without frustration. You'll spend time or money on it
 Unless ...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:29:09 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

DEROS

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:30:17 AM »
I want to buy another binocular or possibly a monocular.  I have a tiny binocular that I originally bought for sports viewing.  It's ok for when I go to the pistol range at 25 yards.  But I want to buy a binocular or monocular that is good enough to see the bullet holes in the target at 100 yards.

Is a 10X45mm or similar enough power to see the bullet holes at 100 yards?  I also see this monocular on Amazon that is 12X50mm.

I don't want to invest in a spotting scope right now.  I'm just a casual shooter and my guns are not tack drivers anyway.  Plus a set of binoculars or monocular is great for other things like hiking, boating, and shit like that.

Any recommendations or advice will be appreciated!  Thanks! :shaka:

I bought a pair of 10x45 binoculars from Amazon, $30.  I use the a splatter target, shooting 5.56, and I can see the hits clearly enough.

DEROS

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »
I traveled that path before and you'll be wasting money. Get a pair of binos for other things. You won't be able to see bullet holes clearly at 100 yards with a small objective that are in binos. An objective of 60mm is the least to see holes at distance. I had a Kowa 601 with a 25x eyepiece and now a Konus with an 80mm obj.  A Konus 80mm is around $200 and a good Kowa is around $800. Again objective size is just as important as magnification. Too much mag and you get mirage, short eye relief and light decreases.

Another option is a remote cam attached to your target. Raspberry Pi cams are cheap and a Rasp Pi Zero is close to free at $5. A pair of WiFi cards and you can send HD quality images to your phone. The code is open source.
https://github.com/OpenHD/Open.HD

A piece of advice. Setup your shooting position first then setup your spotting scope. I see people setup their spotter first way on one side of the table then setup their shooting position on the other side. WIth that you end up breaking position every time to spot a shot. More work and its more challenging to shoot good groups.

It is difficult to get a cheap way of seeing bullet holes at 100 yards without frustration. You'll spend time or money on it
 Unless ...

They only do that when they zero.  Qualification, the targets move.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
A piece of advice. Setup your shooting position first then setup your spotting scope. I see people setup their spotter first way on one side of the table then setup their shooting position. WIth that you end up breaking position every time to spot a shot. More work and its more challenging to shoot good groups.

Thanks for the advice! :shaka:

Looks like from your input and the others above maybe I should just get a spotting scope.  I did do some research which advised using a spotting scope for better results at the gun range. 

I'll just get both!  I'll just tell my wife I want a spotting scope for my Nov. Birthday and a Binocular for Xmas....... :crazy:

poke

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
I bought this cheap spotting scope off Amazon and it's perfectly adequate for seeing hits at 100 yards

https://www.amazon.com/Emarth-20-60x60AE-Waterproof-Spotting-45-Degree/dp/B010FAUJ46/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=spotting+scope&qid=1634503042&sr=8-4

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
What caliber are you shooting?  Say .308 vs .22 lr.

What kind of targets are you using?  The shoot n' see type where the rings have contrasting color?  Or just plain paper? 

I have pretty decent quality binos in the 12x range and a higher end (Swarovski) in 10x and they are "ok" to see at 100 yards.  If you're trying to check groups or follow-up shots on say the same target, I would say something in the 20x power or more is warranted.  As least in my experience.  For .308, my scope (7-35 power) is enough and with 25x power, I can see whatever I need. I also have a spotting scope for other days when I'm not shooting with a scope and that's in the 20-60x range.

I shoot .22LR, 5.56/.223 and I like to use splatter targets.  Looks like a spotting scope is needed for clarity.

I bought a pair of 10x45 binoculars from Amazon, $30.  I use the a splatter target, shooting 5.56, and I can see the hits clearly enough.

That's Great!  If I get my way I just might end up with a Bino and a Spotting Scope!

DEROS

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 10:49:45 AM »
I shoot .22LR, 5.56/.223 and I like to use splatter targets.  Looks like a spotting scope is needed for clarity.

That's Great!  If I get my way I just might end up with a Bino and a Spotting Scope!

My son saving up for a scope for his AR15 so he is shooting iron sights.  That is why the bino are good enough.  I told him that if he hits anywhere in the black circle at 100yards, he is doing good.  Spotting scope may be needed once he gets a decent scope and gets his grouping down to sub 1inch.

This is the Bino I bought from Amazon.  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VRB9FW6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:54 AM »

With that smaller calibers, a bit more clarity to spot hits will help. Especially if you’re zeroing or shooting a bunch on a single target, you’ll want to see where the new hits are. If you’re shooting groups, say 3-5 shots on a given target then move, you can likely get away with a little less mag or clarity (objective).

I went from a 20-60x60 (maybe 65) to 85 and noticed quite a bit of difference. I did go to a higher quality glass though. Less mag with better clarity would’ve been ok for 100 yards at KHSC, but I also wanted a bit more mag for those occasions where I wanted to spot hits and misses for longer distances.

Another factor is size of spotting scope. For range use, but spotting scope is ok. But it is on the bigger and heavier side.

You will be able to spot hits at 100 yards with 10x binos, I’ve found that I need to stabilize on one of the columns to see individual hits.

aaronc5362

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
I got a pair of vortex 10x32. 50 yards is good for 5.56 using shoot n c targets. Hundred yards.. Yeahhhhh nope. Lol.

Edit: there was another thread where we talked bout a tnvc pic mount to mount to your tripod( if you already have one that is...)

Lately I been seeing quite a few vortex scopes on sale. I almost impulse purchased one. I think 4-14 was the zoomies. I forget. But I held back cause black Friday is real close. And I usually only shoot at the 50 cause thats my zero. But I guess it would be nice to see at 100.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 02:50:02 PM by aaronc5362 »

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 10:48:14 PM »
I found .22 size holes very hard to see in the paper with even 8x binoculars but I also noticed that quality matters. I got a cheap spotting scope that can go up to 25x or so and the holes are big enough to see but the clarity isn't very good. Good glass is going to help you see the holes better at lower magnification levels in my opinion. Stabilization also helps.

omnigun

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »
I found that 32x gets you pretty close up to the target at 100 yards.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »
I found that 32x gets you pretty close up to the target at 100 yards.
Specs on that optic that you are referring to?

omnigun

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »
Specs on that optic that you are referring to?

Got a nightforce 8-32x.  Which I just sighted in on my 6.5 Creedmoor.

I also own this which is pretty good when sighting red dots

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Birdwatching-Activities-Digiscoping-Adapter-Get/dp/B07DCPG5P7