mp5 at kokohead question? (Read 10574 times)

Rookie808

mp5 at kokohead question?
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
if i get an mp5 and i go to kokohead to shoot it which side of the range do i shoot it at the pistol side or the rifle side?  it shoots a 9mm pistol round and is called a Machine Pistol does that mean i shoot it on the pistol side?  or do i have to shoot it on the rifle side because its a bigger than just a handgun?  what about rifles that are legally pistols like the mini ar15's are those okay to shoot on the pistol side?  sorry if this is a stupid question. 

Heavies

Re: mp5 at kokohead question?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
if i get an mp5 and i go to kokohead to shoot it which side of the range do i shoot it at the pistol side or the rifle side?  it shoots a 9mm pistol round and is called a Machine Pistol does that mean i shoot it on the pistol side?  or do i have to shoot it on the rifle side because its a bigger than just a handgun?  what about rifles that are legally pistols like the mini ar15's are those okay to shoot on the pistol side?  sorry if this is a stupid question. 

No such thing as a stupid question, unless I am the one who asks them. ;D heehee 

I have seen people use those .22lr mp5 clones on the rifle side.  I think, If im not mistaken, a regular mp5 is not legal here(in Hawaii), as well as AR-15 pistols.  The barrels are too short and they would be considered an 'Assalt Pistol'. :(

kaneohegrown

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
An HK 94 is the closest you'll get to an MP5 flavor (16" barrel and Semi Auto only internals). You would be shooting on the rifle side, as that is what the firearm would be registered as. MP5s are NFA items and aren't going to be allowed on island.

AR15 pistol variants are "assault pistols" and are illegal in HI, so wouldn't even worry about it, as we'll probably never get em down here.

808shooter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
maybe he has a GSG-5 22lr and mistakenly thinks that it's a mp5?

The other day, i saw a guy shooting a scoped pistol at the rifle range...  is that allowed?

Tom_G

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
The other day, i saw a guy shooting a scoped pistol at the rifle range...  is that allowed?

Yep.

Also shotguns firing slugs are allowed.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

stegosaurus

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
Which side would you shoot shotgun slugs at?
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »

At the rifle range.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

stegosaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
Awesome  ;D

808shooter

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
this is how much of a newbie I am... first time ever to Koko Head a few years back I shot slugs @ the rifle range, 50 yards.  The target was probably one of those 12" brown paper with the black centers.  Shoot 5 slugs at a time, maybe 3 reloads, bussup cheek and all go walk to the target and I have ZERO holes on the cardboard!   :oops:

Gotta put on some rear sights.. problem is no rails on mine.   :geekdanc:

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Yep.

Also shotguns firing slugs are allowed.

Is it only slugs that are allowed? I thought you could pattern test shot as well.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

808shooter

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
i've shot buckshot 00, birdshot too.  The 00 into my target that lasted 3 range trips, and birdshot into the ground @ about 40 yards on the far left side of the range.

Heavies

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »

At the rifle range.

One thing though..  becarful of your target and what is beyond.  One day there where these couple of dudes having a blast with slugs at 50 yards, but the lead was bounceing up and killing MY target frame at 100 yards. :o   Hehe.  I politely let them know about that, but some folks might be more sensitive than I. ;D

mishka

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 01:27:26 AM »
I know it's getting off the OP's topic but I thought I would chime in as well.   I have shot buckshot, birdshot and slugs at the rifle range.  I always ask the range master whether he prefer I shoot into the ground or above the 100yd berm.  All but one time I was told to shoot above the berm.  They don't want to kill what little grass they have growing lol.  Seriously, that's what one range master said.

Tom_G

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »
One thing though..  becarful of your target and what is beyond.  One day there where these couple of dudes having a blast with slugs at 50 yards, but the lead was bounceing up and killing MY target frame at 100 yards. :o   Hehe.  I politely let them know about that, but some folks might be more sensitive than I. ;D

This isn't just an issue with slugs.  I've been out there during the dry summer months and had my 7.62x39 ricocheting off the ground at 50 yards and into someone else's target frame at 100.  Also, folks lately don't seem to be too terribly concerned about using the target station that's actually in front of their position.  Just getting 1 or 2 positions to either side at 50 yards puts you in a straight line with another person's 100-yard target.

houdni

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
sorry...another off the topic question...
 is a .416 barrett allowed on the rifle side since the 50cal isnt allowed....

stegosaurus

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
I've seen someone shooting .416. Amazing stuff!

Funtimes

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »
I went like three weeks ago, you can shoot just about any shot of shotgun on the rifle side (far right end). You must shoot *above* the berm.
My buddy got in trouble for shooting the ground at about 20 yards or so lol.  I got in trouble for shooting slugs into the berm (wanted to see what kind of *poof* a 20gauge slug would make).

The range is pretty silly though, going to write someone about that to try and figure out why, and also check to see how much insurance is -- considering making my own club lol.

nf9648

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »

At the rifle range.

Wasnt a krylon camoed pistol grip mossberg was it?

Heavies

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »
Wasnt a krylon camoed pistol grip mossberg was it?

No. It was more of an old school police, like the one FS on in the classified section, with wood stocks.

Rookie808

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »

No such thing as a stupid question, unless I am the one who asks them. ;D heehee 

I have seen people use those .22lr mp5 clones on the rifle side.  I think, If im not mistaken, a regular mp5 is not legal here(in Hawaii), as well as AR-15 pistols.  The barrels are too short and they would be considered an 'Assalt Pistol'. :(

ya i think thats what it might have been now that i think about it.  thanks guys for allthe info