Water Storage for Evacuation (Read 20239 times)

DesertRangerTycho

Water Storage for Evacuation
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
So I have my other preps in order including the hurricane shelter bags.  The question is how do other people plan to move water in case they have to evacuate? Planning for 3 days of water per person (3 gallons x 3 = 9 gallons; 9 x 8lbs = 72 lbs). That is a lot of weight to schlepp.  What are others doing with this prep?

dogman

Re: Water Storage for Evacuation
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »
Dehydrated water.

Mdotweber

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
Boating supply stores should have large water containers. On a serious note beer is mostly water and comes in neat 12oz bottles or cans.
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »
That's why I posted about the bug out bin.  Looking for something with wheels because water is heavy. I rather roll my bin instead of carrying it.

tillamook

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »
I plan to bunker in place.  If i did have to leave I'd take one of my sealed 50 gallon containers and my collection of Sawyer filters.  so much easier to carry a filter than the water.  Then just need to evac to a wet site instead of a dry site. 

https://sawyer.com/water-filtration/

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 03:18:41 PM »
I plan to bunker in place.  If i did have to leave I'd take one of my sealed 50 gallon containers and my collection of Sawyer filters.  so much easier to carry a filter than the water.  Then just need to evac to a wet site instead of a dry site. 

https://sawyer.com/water-filtration/

Might be more logistical to carry filter straws or filtration system.  There's flowing water all over the island to be used.

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
   The one gallon recommendation includes cooking , washing, hygiene (brushing teeth) etc. under adverse conditions.
How many of you actually DRINK  1 gallon of water a day unless you are truly laboring in the sun ?

Our go bags have a liter of water each and a small water filtration system, good enough to last the 24-48 hrs of hurricane before returning home or  going to BOL.
That should be plenty.
JMHO

Our home has  5) 50 gallon barrels plus hot tub (350 gal),  2) 80 gallon hot water heaters plus whatever we could fill or have set up to fill during the storm and our BOL has an unlimited supply of potable water.

Of course I do agree with Mdotweber regarding the canned and bottled beverages. :D ;D :crazy: :wacko: :sleeping:

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
My place get plenty of powered caffeine (preworkout) So if anyone wants to get yoked, bring your own water.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
I have a couple cases of bottled water, handcart, and bucket.  That should be plenty to last until emergency supplies arrive.  Then I'll have water filters to draw from a stream or puddles of water just in case.

And I'm taking hot showers

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
My place get plenty of powered caffeine (preworkout) So if anyone wants to get yoked, bring your own water.

caffeine and beer are diuretics, which is exactly what you don't want to be drinking in an emergency where you are concerned with limited water supplies

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
caffeine and beer are diuretics, which is exactly what you don't want to be drinking in an emergency where you are concerned with limited water supplies

Can't miss a workout even during a hurricane.  Sacrifices must be made to get swole.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »

Every time I see the magical light purifier.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »
Boating supply stores should have large water containers. On a serious note beer is mostly water and comes in neat 12oz bottles or cans.
That must be why my buddy's dad usually has like 20+ 30 or 36 packs or Miller Lite at his house.  Well, he drinks like 4+ a day, even as much as 8-10 when we're over drinking too.  His son buys it for him by the pallet!   :o

Mdotweber

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »
Those steripens are gtg, they even make a hand crank model that screws onto Nalgene bottles.
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »

Pay you $5 if you snort your pre-workout and let me record the aftermath while we sit for the hurricane to pass.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »
Pay you $5 if you snort your pre-workout and let me record the aftermath while we sit for the hurricane to pass.

A friend of mine stopped at GNC on our way to 24-Hour Fitness.  He picked up "Ultimate Orange" powder and mixed us each up a water bottle with a full scoop.  This was about 1:00PM.

Halfway through the workout, I was sitting by the pool, heart pounding, head spinning, and wondering if I was going into orbit!!   :shake: :shake: :shake:

About 3:30AM when I finally went to sleep, I was vowing never to use caffeine powder again unless I'm exposed to nerve agent and don't have an Atropine injector.   :crazy:

Each scoop of Ultimate Orange (about 30 grams) contains 300mg caffeine and a whole stack of amino acids.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/ultimate-orange-seriously-caffeinated-powder
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »
Dehydrated water.

That is a great idea.  Just like freeze dried food.  Just add water and you are good to go.
In an emergency, I would just stay at home.  Even if the house got destroyed, I have lots of supplies to build a shelter in a couple of hours.
I have a 10k gallon water catchment tank and if that got destroyed, I have a 330 gallon plastic water tank that is filled.  If I did have to evacuate, I would only take a gallon of water with me and a couple of empty half gallon bottles to fill.   Rains a lot here and with those portable water filtration systems and a pot to boil water, you can have a safe water supply.  The only event that would force me to leave my home would be if lava started to flow toward me.

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
A friend of mine stopped at GNC on our way to 24-Hour Fitness.  He picked up "Ultimate Orange" powder and mixed us each up a water bottle with a full scoop.  This was about 1:00PM.

Halfway through the workout, I was sitting by the pool, heart pounding, head spinning, and wondering if I was going into orbit!!   :shake: :shake: :shake:

About 3:30AM when I finally went to sleep, I was vowing never to use caffeine powder again unless I'm exposed to nerve agent and don't have an Atropine injector.   :crazy:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/ultimate-orange-seriously-caffeinated-powder

Thats the new Orange.  If you tried the old school one that had Ephedra in it, you would have been bouncing off the walls. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »

How about suppository.  Heard it kicks in faster.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
Thats the new Orange.  If you tried the old school one that had Ephedra in it, you would have been bouncing off the walls.

I have a feeling it was the old formula -- timeframe was 2000-ish.

I would have been bouncing if I wasn't so terrified of moving.   :shake:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall