Blood Trail Tips (Read 685 times)

aletheuo137

Blood Trail Tips
« on: March 27, 2021, 03:19:07 PM »
I found this video helpful in blood trailing. I thought I would share it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

aletheuo137

Re: Blood Trail Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 07:43:14 AM »
Here are the keys to reading the sign that will help you find your trophy when it really counts.

Observe the Shot
Try to identify precisely where the arrow struck the animal, as this will provide the first indication of how well it is hit. A hit in the leg, too far back, or too high means you need to wait at least three or four hours before even attempting to track the animal. A good, broadside hit in the vitals means you can get on it anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour. Watch the deer until it disappears from sight. Note the direction it was heading. If blood is not found immediately in the spot it was hit, knowing which way it ran can start your search in the right direction. Identify a landmark near the last place you saw it from your stand. Note how it was running. If the deer was stumbling, it could mean a lethal hit; if it was limping, it could mean a leg shot; and if it was hunched up, it could mean a gut shot.

Try to determine if your arrow passed through the animal. A pass-through shot should translate into more blood and a shorter tracking job. Listen to hear if the deer collapses.

Tell tale Blood Clues
Blood is the best evidence of how well a deer is hit, and often provides the most visible trail to recovering the animal.
Pinkish, frothy blood with small bubbles typically indicates a lung shot that will prove lethal in just a short distance.
Rich, bright-red blood can be from the heart or from any large tissue area fed by numerous blood vessels. The more blood, the better the indication of whether the shot was fatal. Sparse, bright droplets may simply indicate a non-lethal wound such as a hit in the leg or the brisket.
Dark, almost burgundy-colored blood may indicate a hit in the liver or kidneys. These shots are lethal but take longer to kill the deer. Wait two to three hours before tracking. Blood that has a greenish tint or has small plant matter mixed in generally indicates a stomach shot. These shots are ultimately lethal, though it may take a long time before a deer succumbs. Wait at least five hours before pushing on with the search.
Blood droplets from a walking deer are more uniform in size and have minimal splatter. If a walking blood trail becomes erratic, the deer is close to collapse. Keep a sharp look ahead for its body. Droplets from a running deer will splatter more, with the fingerlets of blood striking the ground in the direction the deer is traveling.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk