Lead base 223 bullets (Read 2962 times)

tim808

Lead base 223 bullets
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Anyone using 223 bullets that have a lead base?   Is there a velocity you need to stay below?

The rest of the bullet is copper clad.

Is it better to just stay with fully cladded bullets?  Difference is only 3 cents a bullet.......8 vs 11

oldfart

Re: Lead base 223 bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
Anyone using 223 bullets that have a lead base?   Is there a velocity you need to stay below?

The rest of the bullet is copper clad.

Is it better to just stay with fully cladded bullets?  Difference is only 3 cents a bullet.......8 vs 11
==========
who makes that?
What, Me Worry?

TooFewPews

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
==========
who makes that?

i think he's referring to FMJ (full metal jacket), which has a slightly misleading name in most situations where the base is exposed.

tim808, assuming you're referring to something like the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-224-55-gr-fmj-bt-with-cannelure-bulk-6-000-ct-box#!/), then there really is no problem with pushing them to normal 55gr velocities.

the reason why FMJ bullets typically have an exposed lead base (as compared to OTM, HPBT, or soft point) is because of the method used in drawing the jacket around the core.

FMJ bullets usually have copper jackets drawn from the tip of the bullet and then ending at the base, resulting in an exposed base.

for the OTM, HPBT, and soft point bullets, the copper jackets are usually drawn from the base to the tip, resulting in a jacketed base.

rklapp

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »
I assume they use the exposed lead to adjust the weight to the designated grain within the specified tolerance.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
I assume they use the exposed lead to adjust the weight to the designated grain within the specified tolerance.

No. Again as mentioned it depends on where the copper jacket is drawn from the front or the back.
Match bullets' jackets are drawn from the base of the core to the tip then cut to maintain concentricity on the outside of the bullet. If you draw the jacket from the front to the back, inconsitencies in the draw of the jacket manifests itself on the diameter of the bullet.
 Imagine spinning a wheel. If you put random weights on the outside versus the inside of the wheel it becomes unstable and wobbles.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:45:48 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
I need to watch an episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood where he shows how they make bullets.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
I need to watch an episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood where he shows how they make bullets.

Call me what you want.
Deeds Not Words

tim808

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
Tnx Ren!  Tnx Pew!

You guys are better than google!