Read My Primers Please (Read 35349 times)

dogman

Re: Read My Primers Please
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
Did you measure from the base of the case to the tip of the bullet?  If so did you adjust the seater die to make all the rounds the same exact OAL?
Yes with my well used dial caliper, I do all my reloading at work (not during work) and Yes, using a Redding Competition Seater in a Rockchucker, none were over 2.80" and a few went under with the shortest at .004" short.

dogman

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »

macsak

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 10:39:31 PM »

wow, the 46 must've all gone right through the black square

dogman

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
wow, the 46 must've all gone right through the black square
Focus

macsak

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 10:51:56 PM »

Heavies

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »

Looks good. I'd say shoot the 46 grain(don't adjust your scope).  The group should fall in the same area as the 45-45.5.  If it does play with seating depth, of the 45.5, to bring the group together.

dogman

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
Looks good. I'd say shoot the 46 grain(don't adjust your scope).  The group should fall in the same area as the 45-45.5.  If it does play with seating depth, of the 45.5, to bring the group together.
Mahalo  :thumbsup:

dogman

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
heads
No that's Ren...I'm "more amps"...... focus!

dogman

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 05:33:30 AM »
I am still a little perplexed as to why one case in each charge weight had a primer flatten to that extent... 
This is the reason I started this topic, to see if this is common . . . apparently not.

Heavies

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
This is the reason I started this topic, to see if this is common . . . apparently not.

Huuum.  Didn't change seat depths...  How about seating force?  Did some bullets feel more difficult to seat than others?  Did you apply any crimp afterwards? 

We'll get to the bottom of this.   :thumbsup:

dogman

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
Huuum.  Didn't change seat depths...  How about seating force?  Did some bullets feel more difficult to seat than others?  Did you apply any crimp afterwards? 

We'll get to the bottom of this.   :thumbsup:
The bullets pressed in with no effort, no crimp. Using Kaleo Arms processed brass so all I do is deburr case mouth, prime, add powder and seat.

ren

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
I have a chronograph if you'd like to get an idea of velocity
Deeds Not Words

dogman

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 09:47:19 PM »
I have a chronograph if you'd like to get an idea of velocity
Since I'm sure your presence, knowledge and advice comes with that offer, YES.

dogman

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
Okay, shot the 46 grains...one flattened primer. I decided to load max, 46.5C, five shots one flattened primer. I shot some American Eagle 150 grain FMJBT...see for yourself. I loaded and shot 18 rounds with 45.5 grains, two flattened primers.

dogman

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
Yep the 46 grouping looked like the 45 & 45.5, the 46.5C spead out, maybe I was getting tired. I shot the one 45.5 round I had left from last week at the same target (A) from last week before I shot the 46 & 46.5. I shot the 45.5 (B) after the 46.5, made a small adjustment to the scope and decided to FOCUS and shot the 45.5 (C). I shot the American Eagle rounds last.

rklapp

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Okay, shot the 46 grains...one flattened primer. I decided to load max, 46.5C, five shots one flattened primer. I shot some American Eagle 150 grain FMJBT...see for yourself. I loaded and shot 18 rounds with 45.5 grains, two flattened primers.
Wow, that's some serious flattening but only on the ones that did. Crazy. So what is the history of the primers? Where did they come from? How do you store them? Could they be Feds instead of CCI?
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Inspector

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 04:38:22 AM »
Dogman,

Can you take a closeup of the side of the cases with flattened primers? I am looking for possible stretch marks or discoloration near the case head. If those marks exist it means a headspace problem on those cases. It might help to narrow down your issue.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

dogman

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 05:42:14 AM »
Wow, that's some serious flattening but only on the ones that did. Crazy. So what is the history of the primers? Where did they come from? How do you store them? Could they be Feds instead of CCI?
Purchased the primers recently from SEC, stored properly. I don't have any Federal Primers. Wouldn't the AE rounds I shot use Fed primers? 

Dogman,
Can you take a closeup of the side of the cases with flattened primers? I am looking for possible stretch marks or discoloration near the case head. If those marks exist it means a headspace problem on those cases. It might help to narrow down your issue.
Will do Inspector, probably this evening.

Inspector

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 05:48:05 AM »
Purchased the primers recently from SEC, stored properly. I don't have any Federal Primers. Wouldn't the AE rounds I shot use Fed primers? 

Will do Inspector, probably this evening.
Dogman,

One more thing. Did you notice whether the flattened primers happen regularly? In other words it always happens every 4th round or every 5th round? Considering you are only seeing this happen with one out of every group (of 5?) I am just curious if this is occurring regularly. Just trying to put more information together as this is really odd.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »
Uummm, that's pretty nice groups for mixed headstamp military brass.
If I was working up a load, I would try to get at least the same headstamps.
In the 46.5C pic, Am I seeing 2005, 2006 and 2012 brass?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:44:56 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?